Thread: Instances master control panel - anyone has done this?

Instances master control panel - anyone has done this?

I am hoping someone has or would be interested in writing a plugin for instances master control panel.

My scenes (architectural) are normally heavy in instances but they cannot be turned on and off in scene editor like a normal object. One has to open the properties panel and go to the instances tab every time to do this. It gets very tedious when you have 30 or 40 objects using instances.

A master control panel like a scene editor or dynamics panel would be very welcomed, unless of course there is something that I missed.

Thanks

on the render globals "render" tab there is a checkbox for "render instances"---
    depending on what method you're using it should work (for native at the very least)
    unfortunately it's like an "all or nothing" approach and not selective at all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render instances.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	122312
    Last edited by mijaba; 06-12-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mijaba View Post
    on the render globals "render" tab there is a checkbox for "render instances"---
    depending on what method you're using it should work (for native at the very least)
    unfortunately it's like an "all or nothing" approach and not selective at all
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render instances.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	122312
    It's probably not the render where the instances need to be turned off. So that render flag is a bit useless.
    I ran in to problems with scenes with vegetation for example. Scenes with over a million instances tend to get slow. Layout becomes a pain to work with because it has to calculate the placement etc of the instances every time something changes in the scene. I agree there should be a switch for turning them of or at least a switch that stops unnecessary calculations. These switches exist for deformers, motion controlers and ik and such, but not for instances.

There is already such script (python) made by Sven Neve

http://www.svenneve.com/?p=806
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Thank you Lewis. I am checking it out now...