Thread: IK Animation not exported correctly with FBX

IK Animation not exported correctly with FBX

Hello, I've been trying to solve this for 2 weeks and hit a wall:

So I got a bipedal model and created the leg animations with IK. The animation plays correctly in LW, but when I export it into FBX, part of the legs animation is missing! (using FBX Viewer, Unity). Crawling through the internet I found posts from the year 2003 claiming the same issue. It seems like it has something to do with the rotations of a bone not being saved on the first child of an IK or so...

It's a total showstopper. Even baking the animation with the D-Storm plugin doesn't work. Please, how can I solve this problem?
    Last edited by buggedoff; 06-11-2014 at 07:49 AM.

As you mentioned, bake the animation of the IK bones before exporting. I recommend mentalfish motion baker to do this.

While many of D-storm's plugins are very useful, they are also very old and I wouldn't be surprised if their baking plugin is broken now. Most of their keyframe-related tools are broken to some degree, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 06-11-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Baking should be all you need... if you want to try a different baker, try the one in the anim tools pack here... http://rebelhill.net/html/shares.html Select the IK/whatever controlled items, and bake your range. Should be fine after that.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

I have tried Motion-Baker and D-Strom, but it seems the issue stays, no matter which export combination I try. It's like the baking process itself is based on values that might not get updated within Lightwave itself. I've read similar issues in topics about "match goal orientation" - however no solution. Every other animation works correctly if created with FK. Either it's me being totally dumb, or Newtek failed to fix an important feature since 2003...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	122268

Ok... right... if its just the ankle joints that arent working, and those joints are using MGO, then theres the snag because MGO cant be baked... end of. What you'll want to do is to setup a cloned, sibling item for the foot bone, use MGO on that, then take the actual bone and use same as item to constrain it, in world, to the MGO bone. You will now be able to bake the action on the actual bone, removing the MGO reference bone after the fact before export.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thank you for your reply. I applied what you suggested ( hopefully correctly) but the bone in between the ankle and the foot didn't like the change and is always pointing upwards.

I drew a sketch how it looks likes now:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boneSketch.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	122303  

Youve probably added the extra bone in willy nilly... you need to create a clone bone such that the 2 have identical local spaces.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Hello, thank you for your reply. Finally the problem is solved. I found another thread of a lightwave user who encountered the same problem.
    I simply followed his steps:
    1) I went to http://www.animationsnippets.com/downloads.html (Thank you Christopher Lutz)
    2) Dowloaded the MGO plugin
    3) Install it the usual way in Lightwave
    4) Use ist additionally to the native Lightwave MGO ( in motion options under add modifier)
    5) Bake the IK Bones with the Storm Plugin https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...ake-ik-to-key/ (Thank you too)
    6) A second time with MF_MotionBaker http://mentalfish.com/2009/09/motion-baker/ (Thank you as well)
    7)Animation ready for fbx-export