Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modeler bones

modeler bones

hi,

i've got a neon glass tube i'm working on, and the bend tool just doesn't cut it for complex letters

is there a way to make a cylinder conform to a spline? similar to how bones would affect it if bent into say an S.
    Bones work, i'm just looking for an alternate solution.

so the question is,

is there something in modeler that works like bones?

the idea is to take a pill, and bend it into letters keeping the ballish tops and bottoms.
    bones works great, i can bend it properly there, but boy the bend tool needs some love.

peter

Have you looked into Spline Guide?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Even though doing it in Layout isn't you're preferred way, sometimes it's the best way. Modeler has no history stack so if you need to modify the shape before the bend you're out of luck.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

spline guide is defiantly useful, however if your trying to bend a shape, not so much. good for some bulges though.

Maybe Rail Extrude ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    spline guide is defiantly useful, however if your trying to bend a shape, not so much. good for some bulges though.
    I think it will work beautifully and you have more flexibility. It's not quite the same as using bones. Try the examples Celshader made for the 11.6 content and you'll see several different use cases.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Did you go into the numeric panel and change it from Scale mode to Bend mode?

In bend mode it's pretty good at er... bending stuff.
    uh wha?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I think it will work beautifully and you have more flexibility. It's not quite the same as using bones. Try the examples Celshader made for the 11.6 content and you'll see several different use cases.

B
    Hmm, Ben i think you are mixing up "Spline Guide" (Modeler tool) with "Spline Control" (Layout tool) ? Either that or Jen started to do Modeling tutorials and i didn't see that video you are referring to ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Couldn't you just have your pill, and then take the mid section of it into a new layer and bend / extrude, or use the transform tool to extrude model the tube into the desired letter shapes, and then just take the caps and manually place them as close as possible onto the open ends of the letters (trying to match the points) and then use the merge tool (set to manual at some small amount) to weld all the caps onto the tubes.

hey dj, seems using bones works best.

the bend tool does some wierd squishing stuff with my caps, I can use it for simple bends.

Rail extrude is pretty good too, but i have to cap the ends, i guess thats as close i can get to bones shaping geometry in modeler. at least i can use a spline to curve it to the way i like it.

it definately has to be welded with care though, since its a transparent material, non welded will show up wierd.

I made a video tutorial about this just to show one way of doing it.

well, i've got a ways to go, but here is a sample of the neon i've got,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neon2-16light.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	122395

hey i just watched your video dj, that helps me out alot. Its good to see another method.

I've got some twist ties i gotta stick on there, and some support stuff like the power supply, and some electrical stuff to model too.

I played around with some surfacing, and got this almost right away, so i was happy with that.

i was playing with weight shades to try to make a gradient on the inside tube so the ends fade on, but have not quite gotten it right now.

Also i want to make some sort of flaking, neon tubing uses black paint to hide or delineate the letters in real neon. So i thought it would be fun to try to simulate that to.

thanks again for your help everyone.

I'll post a final when i finish this.

dj - thank you again, watching you work was inspiring, i did not know how to use edges like that, it solves alot of modeling problems, specially creating the E and merging the middle into the right side of the tube.
    fantastic modeling work thanks for showing the process.

I know it's not complete but the "h" won't look like that, perhaps not the "T" either; I can't see what is behind the crossbar to know whether there is a 180° reversing loop there that goes from the right end back to the center or not. Anyhoos, neon is one continuous tube, all connected together, with electrodes at each end that excites the gas between them. Nothing ever comes to a dead end. Yes, sometimes sections are split off, mostly to keep the tube length within an absolute length limit if the words are long; but those sections are complete circuits with a beginning and and end all as one winding tube. If the tube gets too long, the power requirement goes up, so they segment it. Those two letters, and a lot more, would all be part of one connected segment. In this shot, the "T" would be connected to the "h" in front of the panel.

The crossovers from one letter do not go through and behind the mounting surface, unless that surface is somehow sectioned and can be disassembled to fit around the tubes that go through it and be reassembled. IOW, the glass is heated and bent into the required shape to form the letters and the connectors between them; with one straight leg at each end that goes through the panel (+Z) to where the wires are attached. Can't do a complex shape with multiple Z-axis sections that go through a panel and then back out to the next letter. So, it all floats on standoffs in front and, as you say, the connecting sections that are not part of a letter are painted black to prevent the glowing gas within from being seen. If any of the letters will be seen from any significant angle off absolutely perpendicular, those reverse loops and connector sections should be there somehow. If reality isn't the goal and/or this won't be seen with any significant resolution, you can probably get away with it. But then, the care being taken to bend the tubes wouldn't be necessary either. Yes, this will make the modeling more difficult but all the more rewarding when it's done. It all depends upon how real you want it to look.
    Last edited by spherical; 06-15-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

When I went and modeled my entry for a speed modelling challenge that involved a Neon Sign, I used LWCAD's pipe tool for my tubes; I kept the letters short, and they go straight into the sign. I first laid out line segments in each letter, making sure I had my stand offs and loops around other tubes. Then, it was a matter of tracing the lines, using the pipe tool, with End snap enabled. Once the letters were done, I cut an edge loop near the end caps. The line segments I used had where I wanted most edge loops to go, so it was a matter of connecting the dots.

It took me more than an hour to get it done - mainly getting the UV mapped texture to line up on SubD geometry (which never quite worked right), but the Neon Tubes turned out the way I wanted...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

I thought I'd take the geometry into Layout and try to texture it. I only put basic reflective surfaces on the items using the layers. I didn't do anything tricky with the neon, it's just luminous. Normally I'd be doing any glow effect in post but here I decided to use the image processing effect "Bloom", I've always kept well away from these native image processing filters but I was quite surprised to see that it did a pretty good job at adding some soft glow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render A.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	122397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render B.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	122398

Here's the scene file if it helps, I'm only supplying it because it has nothing special going on surface-wise so it might go to show how simple things can be. I realize from some of the above discussion that my lettering is not structurally correct for authentic neon, I think I'll do a more authentic example in the future for my own enjoyment, with the wiring and stuff.

Neon.7z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast