Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: modeler bones

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I made a video tutorial about this just to show one way of doing it.
    Nice!!! Tons of good workflow in there!!

I need reminders of the AXIS- tools (old dog and all), and I never remember DISSOLVE. Plus, Mirror is quite a time-saver, I woulda probably not perceived that symmetry in the 'N'.

To me the only problem w/doing image processing within LW is you run the risk of losing the plain render, and all that render TIME. But with exrTrader it should be possible to preserve the plain render, AND get the image-processed version if you like what LW does over a post-process.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 06-16-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

This is quite helpful I was having a similar problem but just gave up on the idea I might try it again

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    BTW, the ROVE tool combined with EXTEND is even faster than shown here, and fewer tool changes.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    BTW, the ROVE tool combined with EXTEND is even faster than shown here, and fewer tool changes.
    I just went and added it to my custom modeling tab. It's works quite well for this kind of thing, I guess the Transform tool is good because it can extend in the direction of the selected element.

thanks again dj, its a fun project.

i'm using double hulls for mine, so an inner gas tube and outer glass tube.

was looking at some reference neon, some have cables per letter, some have cables per the entire neon word. depends it looks like on the maker.

Important concept is it's cableS. One each end, whether it's a word, words, letter or letter groups making up a word. One in, one out; One +, one - each.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I came into this thread, because I was looking for something like bones in modeler (which didn't pan out) but instead found a bunch of really useful modeler workflow ideas (Thanks, djwaterman!). I would add a couple of my favorites for things like this: Pictrix C Worm, and TAZ Pipe. both create a tube around a spline curve. C Worm is available as a free "lite" version, but is limited in the number of knots in the spline (save first, it can crash Modeler if you have too many). TAZ Pipe is free, and probably a better choice. It allows multiple curves and seems to be more robust.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...try/px_bezier/

Basically you get to work with beziers and snapping. It can generate a spline that you can afterwards extrude on, or a polymesh tube.

There several actions you can take on the handles and anchors with a combination of LMB RMB and CTRL and Alt, check the help drop down menu.

ALWAYS Save the tube/curve into a version (Letter_A_v003, for example) before dropping the tool, so you can go back and change things.

Cheers

I did a tutorial for someone concerning light bulbs a couple of years back. I don't know how to quote a particular post in the thread.. but the second last post in that thread deviated into how to texture neon lights. Might be useful here.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ghlight=igu4n4

Steve McArdle.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Igu4n4 View Post
    I don't know how to quote a particular post in the thread..
    Steve McArdle.
    If you click the post NUMBER, you'll go to a permalink for that particular comment. --I assume you can Right Click "Copy Link" on it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12