Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet not working with Mocap?

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar

Bullet not working with Mocap?

I setup a character with a hair wig, did some motion and it worked fine with bullet, then imported some mocap (load from scene..merge motions) and wig no longer stays on head and just stays whereever frame 0 is. Turn off Bullet in panel and wig follows head, but without dynamics.
    Stop on a frame in middle of anim and wig is off head...on same frame when I turn OFF bullet,hair goes right to where it should be, but without dynamics.

Am I missing a setting or is it not working together?
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Did you click the reset button at the top of the bullet UI? It may be that the cache is referencing something incorrectly using old calculations.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

yep, no difference
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I don't know what your set up is but I'll take a shot: Is the wig parented to a bone? If so, you need to turn on Kinematic Body for the wig object.

Waitaminit...sorry, it's late in the day and I might be wrong about what I just typed. Will post again in a bit.

Is your 'wig' object for long hair or short hair? More specifically, do you want the fibers to have dynamics or just follow the head.

Duh...sorry, it's been a long day. Anyway, if you parent the wig to the head bone, obviously you need to use Deforming Body on this object. You also need to set Mesh Filter to the weight map applied to the your guides (I think 100% weight is affected by Bullet and 0% will be 'anchored' to the bone) and set Shape Lock to Translation and Rotation. Use some Shape Retention to help the hair go back to its 'rest' shape. A tiny bit of Damping Coefficient might help make it look a little smoother--but add too much and it looks like slo-mo or under water.

As for collision, do what I wrote above, that is, use proxy objects parented to bones for collision with Kinematic Body instead of the character's mesh with Deforming Body--calculations will go much, much faster this way.

BTW, ignore my question regarding dynamics or no dynamics. Obviously you want dynamics because if you didn't, you wouldn't be using Bullet.

I need to go home and sleep now.

Will try to follow the roadmap you layed out
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

got an error and Layout crashed at 33% done.
    said 'layout.exe-pure virtual function call'
    maby too big of a file?
    was 800 frames. but what I saw was working correctly so, thanks for above info.
    will try again
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

on second look...not good
    because the collision object is lagging behind per frame and the more velocity object has the furthur it gets and the furthur the hair is away from main object.
    It works fine if only I animate it, but not with FBX mocap.
    will keep trying tho.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Something must be off because nearly all the work I'm doing for our Little Green Dog projects involves mocap, FBX, FiberFX and Bullet, and that part of the project is working out fine. (As of 11.5.1 anyway...we ran into some issues when using 11.6.3 so we're not upgrading for the 'B2' project yet. FYI, I've been using the latest Lightwave in my freelance work elsewhere but that work doesn't currently involve mocap, Bullet or FiberFX.)

How are you applying your mocap? Are you using LIFS MOME workflow? That's what I'm using for 'B2'. If you're using the Nevron Motion workflow, hopefully somebody who has more experience with it will pop in with more info.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Are you using LIFS MOME workflow? That's what I'm using for 'B2'. If you're using the Nevron Motion workflow, hopefully somebody who has more experience with it will pop in with more info.

G.
    Using Neveron Mocap Rig
    Tried a motion where head moves quite a distance rather than just standing looking around. Body falls away, hair stays but continues on calculating in place.
    Tried with secondary collision object parented to main and using bones from main, tried to massivly subdivide main object and just use her as collision, tried using weights, no weights, hair holds, no holds, default collision distances on both body and hair and also 1" distances on both.....nothing seems to help.
    But if I manually animate anything to get hair to move, it works fine with all defaults.

Are you using LIFS MOME workflow
    ?

In case...running 11.6.2 here
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by prospector; 06-10-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I downloaded your file--will take a look at it later today and let you know if I find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    Are you using LIFS MOME workflow?

In case...running 11.6.2 here
    LIFS MOME is Load Items From Scene with the Merge Only Motion Envelope option enabled. I'm not familiar with the Nevron Motion workflow yet (own a license, just haven't had time to use it,) but the idea with LIFS MOME is this:

1. Set up your character and rig in LightWave, add additional controls and accessories (i.e., hair guides) if desired. This version of the character will be for final rendering.

2. Assuming the bones in the rig in the FBX matches the rig in your Lightwave scene, choose Load Items from Scene, select the root of the rig in the FBX, enable Merge Only Motion Envelopes and click Okay.

If all goes well, only the animation data from the FBX will be imported and applied directly to the skeleton of your Lightwave character. If you get the entire contents of the FBX instead, then something isn't matching between the two rigs. Obviously, the names of the root objects and bones need to match. It's okay to have things parented to the bones of the LightWave rig, but you need to be sure the hierarchy isn't broken or interrupted.

The other 'gotcha' to watch for is the number of Takes in the FBX file. Lightwave expects to see only a single Take--if you have more than one in the file, you will probably not get the animation to import properly (I usually get a single frozen frame when this happens.)

If the rigs are set up properly, LIFS MOME should work perfectly every time.

I think the workflow with Nevron Motion may be similar but I have almost no experience with it yet.

G.

Regarding 11.6.2--the one issue I ran into with 11.6.3 and I think also in 11.6.2 is that the specularity in FiberFX gets 'baked' into the fibers when network rendering. I'm not sure when this feature broke but it worked fine in 11.5.1. I reported this a couple of months ago so LW3DG is aware of it and I was told they are working on a fix for the near future.

I'm not sure about Bullet for hair in 11.6.3 yet. I use Bullet frequently but haven't done hair stuff in 11.6.3. Will check it out soon and let you know if it's working as expected here.

G.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast