Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.7, rampant speculation features...

TrueArt Support
    jwiede, you're writing from point-of-view that anybody will be still writing anything..

Any changes won't fix older existing plugins. So changes in this area are purely to new stuff, not existing yet.

how about this.

A texture editor work flow addition.

on the bottom of the texture editor area where it has the scale.
    Lets add a simple on off switch, it makes all 3 of the coordinates linked, so that when you slide one they all slide.
    Its the equivalent of using a null and scaling it which affects all 3 values at once. So its a duplicate function, but.. nulls clutter scenes, and really its such a simple fix, i dont know why no one has thought of this before? Maybe they did, but its not been implemented.

Even better is a on/off switch near each value, if it's on, it's linked. sliding a linked slider, moves both values up or down. default would be off.
    also since i see there is space there. a 1/2x and 2x button which halves or doubles the value every time you click it. bing bing bing half value half value half value, quicker than using the numeric 50/2 function if your just trying to see what 1/2 or double looks like.

finally,
    The rotational dial might have a cross that once clicked lets you rotate the values all at once.

Just some added workflow features that a programmer can add in the time it takes to read this post. =)

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Lets add a simple on off switch, it makes all 3 of the coordinates linked, so that when you slide one they all slide.
    Been wanting that since.... how old is Lightwave?

I suggest the switch be a LOCK icon.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Does Lightwave already have a way to track where a loaded item is coming from, so if I click on some object in the scene editor it can show me what folder or drive it was imported from? If it doesn't that would be handy.

And yes, the lock switch on scale is a no brain-er.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Does Lightwave already have a way to track where a loaded item is coming from, so if I click on some object in the scene editor it can show me what folder or drive it was imported from? If it doesn't that would be handy.
    The only way i know to do this is to selected the object and then press "Replace with Object" to see where it came from.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    And just so it doesn't get implemented stupidly: ALL assets should be able to be tracked. So, Images, Objects, Scenes, PFX files, MDD files... can I just say EVERYTHING and let it go at that?
    And yes, the lock switch on scale is a no brain-er.
    And has been for TWENTY years, and yet...

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Lightbulb 11.7 New Feature: new viewport viewing mode - "NoSubpatch" or "PolysOnly"

11.7 New Feature, not so modest:

I dunno, I gave up programming a long time ago, maybe this would be a piece of cake, maybe it would slow a machine to a crawl, BUT:

I think it might be useful if you could have 2 viewports open, one displaying subpatches, the other NOT. So, when modeling, you could have the clarity of polygon mode, while seeing what the effect was in subpatch mode. Or vice versa.

(Is there any software that does this currently?)

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Here's a modest request:

A switch to automatically have all Primitives be created as "Resting On Ground". (Isn't this a default in most modelers?)
    A switch, maybe, definitely not default. One thing I love about LW is the ability to create primitives wherever I want them. XSI always made them at <0,0,0> and I thought that was terrible, you'd always have to move to where they were, then move them back to where you wanted them. A complete pain in the derriere.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    A switch, maybe, definitely not default. One thing I love about LW is the ability to create primitives wherever I want them. XSI always made them at <0,0,0> and I thought that was terrible, you'd always have to move to where they were, then move them back to where you wanted them. A complete pain in the derriere.
    Yeah, a switch.

I've been doing so many tests lately I haven't modeled any assemblies, and as you say, MUCH better to be able to create anywhere.

This is more general than 11.7 but how do folk feel about a not having to Shift/Ctrl to add select/deselect polygons option? It's hard to remember now but Core had that didn't it? I didn't mind it but I don't think you could deselect by touching selected polygons which felt a bit odd. Like anything it might need to be more nuanced, such as it only adding once you start adding and vice versa. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

as some mentioned, yes please, lock scale, snapping, rest on axis options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlk0jPbjhOA

not having to Shift/Ctrl to add select/deselect polygons option?
    sounds interesting, i guess i'm just used to hold down shift, which kinda doesn't make sense ?
    never thought too much about it, it's a reflex these days... :]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    jwiede, you're writing from point-of-view that anybody will be still writing anything..

Any changes won't fix older existing plugins. So changes in this area are purely to new stuff, not existing yet.
    Not necessarily, it depends on how they implement it. They could make it such that an automated (or even user-controlled) conversion process "packages" existing plugins, if the need is felt to be worthwhile. Most of the metadata needed could be extracted or synthesized given an existing plugin, any menu branches (and/or reflection of the plugin's manifested commands), etc. Synthesizing date-based versioning info from existing plugins wouldn't be that difficult either, should that be needed.

Again, it all depends on how much they're willing to invest into supporting author-unsupported existing plugins. If there is substantial architectural/infrastructure rework underway, ongoing compatibility with such plugins would be iffy in any case.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    how about this.

A texture editor work flow addition...Lets add a simple on off switch, it makes...
    I'd like a general 'pass through' switch like in Fusion. In Fusion, if you select a group of nodes and press P, the nodes become disabled until you press P again. This is much more effiicent than disconnecting and re-routing nodes when you're testing things.

A few more LHFs...

I really wish the viewport Schematics View would get a few workflow updates too--the user should be able to group and hide nodes there, and import/export node layouts too.

And Load/Save buttons should be on everything: cameras panels, Clip Map panel, fog panel, background gradient panel, etc.,

G.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    "Valves". We need on/off VALVES on the node connectors.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Here's a refinement on the "LOCK VALUES" idea: they don't become all the SAME, , Y and Z turn off and X becomes a controller that sizes them BUT maintains their ratios.

IOW, "constrain" in the Photoshop sense.

I now alter my suggestion about a lock icon, and recommend a CHAIN icon.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast