Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 392

Thread: 11.7, rampant speculation features...

  1. #211
    Eat your peas. Greenlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,193
    Wow, you're right. I can get the move handles to work and sometimes the scale handles if I really work at it, but I can't get any of the rotate handles to work at all at that size. When I scale the object up much bigger, it works fine.

    I guess I had never used this tool on really tiny objects until now. This is pretty bad. Has this been fogged already?

    G.

  2. #212
    Super Member Kryslin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Prescott, IA
    Posts
    1,550
    Okay... I just made a 45mm cube, 3 divisions X/Y/Z. Subpatched it, and proceeded to have no problems using the transform tool on it.
    Lightwave 11.6.3 32 bit, build 2737

    I did notice that on a flat plane, 45mm on a side, that the y-scale does not function. X/Z scale worked, as did X/Y/Z translation and rotation. It also causes the y-scale to stop working on the object that it used to work on. Once the 2-D object is removed, things work normally.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

  3. #213
    Super Member Snosrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Okay... I just made a 45mm cube, 3 divisions X/Y/Z. Subpatched it, and proceeded to have no problems using the transform tool on it.
    Lightwave 11.6.3 32 bit, build 2737

    I did notice that on a flat plane, 45mm on a side, that the y-scale does not function. X/Z scale worked, as did X/Y/Z translation and rotation. It also causes the y-scale to stop working on the object that it used to work on. Once the 2-D object is removed, things work normally.
    Press "Shift A" to zoom into one polygon selection and then try it.

  4. #214
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,737
    Crud. Huh. Got it to fail at 20mm. Mostly (all?) the rotation gizmos. --nooop, there goes the Scale gizmos. Damn. THAAAAAAANKS for making me unhappy.

    Well, at 1M it works!
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  5. #215
    Super Member Snosrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Wow, you're right. I can get the move handles to work and sometimes the scale handles if I really work at it, but I can't get any of the rotate handles to work at all at that size. When I scale the object up much bigger, it works fine.

    I guess I had never used this tool on really tiny objects until now. This is pretty bad. Has this been fogged already?

    G.
    Yep it works fine on larger objects. As far as being fogged - I'm pretty sure it has, but it doesn't really matter as these tools were put in mostly as an after thought and will eventually be replaced.

  6. #216
    Super Member Snosrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    4,923
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Crud. Huh. Got it to fail at 20mm. Mostly (all?) the rotation gizmos. --nooop, there goes the Scale gizmos. Damn. THAAAAAAANKS for making me unhappy.

    Well, at 1M it works!
    Yep - scale everything up to work on it - just like Bullet dynamics!

  7. #217
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    Yep - scale everything up to work on it - just like Bullet dynamics!
    And FFX!

    Grrrrrrrrr. I can maybe understand why Bullet and FFX are scale-sensitive, but I certainly don't get why THE USER INTERFACE would be scale-sensitive.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  8. #218
    I've also noticed this flaky behavior with the transform tool, it's still a great tool that has transformed a lot of my modeling but this aspect is annoying. One solution might be to copy the geometry into a new layer and scale it up, work on it and then use Fit to Background to scale it back down to the original size.

  9. #219
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,737
    In your heart you know that's Just Another Lightwave WorkaroundŪ.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  10. #220
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    69
    What do the Scale issues stem from? - Legacy?
    Lightwave 11.6.3 + NevronMotion
    i9001 running Win40k w/42Gb RAM and built in HAL drive.

  11. #221
    Pleased to meet you. Oedo 808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,560
    If they are going to look at the Transform tool then I'd like the last used handle remain active so that if you needed to adjust your view you could just use the viewport and wouldn't need to go back and grab the handle again, especially if you want to zoom in on a section that takes the gizmo out of the screen, in which case it can't be used. I suppose I might like the last used mode to be remembered (i.e. Stretch) and then you could use Ctrl to constrain the axis you want relative to the gizmo orientation, but that sort of thing not really for 11.7 I guess. Mind you, being able to constrain the normal Stretch tool to world axes in perspective view, I'd like that.

    I tend to use LWCAD tools to do much of what you might otherwise use the Transform tool for, not to go too off topic but can I ask someone, how would you stretch an object like in the attached image from one end or the other, or even from the border of where the colours change? It works on poles where the normals average out, but as you can see on that the axis would be skewed and I can't work it out. I wonder if using choose pivot could retain the selected orientation with right click or some such thing, or can you do this already?

    Ideally this sort of thing should be doable without having to use a button from the Numeric Panel.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trans.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	122833
    Shape.lwo
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

  12. #222
    No it doesn't unfortunately. The workaround would be to select the four points at the end and create a polygon, then select the face of that polygon with the transform tool, then drop the selection, select the main object and pick up the transform tool again, which retains the previous orientation so you can stretch it along the polygons normal. That's a lot of steps but at least it's do-able.

  13. #223
    Registered User davidsenna03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bogota, Colombia
    Posts
    62
    The particle systems and the hypervoxels are a bit dated. Maybe an integration of Turbulence FD or something similar would be nice.

  14. #224
    Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    14,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I tend to use LWCAD tools to do much of what you might otherwise use the Transform tool for, not to go too off topic but can I ask someone, how would you stretch an object like in the attached image from one end or the other, or even from the border of where the colours change? It works on poles where the normals average out, but as you can see on that the axis would be skewed and I can't work it out. I wonder if using choose pivot could retain the selected orientation with right click or some such thing, or can you do this already?
    ?? Isn't this precisely what AxisScale is for?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

  15. #225
    Pleased to meet you. Oedo 808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    No it doesn't unfortunately. The workaround would be to select the four points at the end and create a polygon, then select the face of that polygon with the transform tool, then drop the selection, select the main object and pick up the transform tool again, which retains the previous orientation so you can stretch it along the polygons normal. That's a lot of steps but at least it's do-able.
    Aye, there are a few work arounds, cheers. If it is or can be rotated to be perpendicular to a viewport LWCAD's Scale Snap (1D) does it with that shape quite easily because there is an edge to the end point but another shape might be more difficult. If there wasn't an edge in line with the end point, such as in the image, I could drag a guide rail out using Extend and Move Snap on another edge, but am I over-thinking this?

    I needed to do this just a day or so ago but I can't remember what the bloody model was.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Transb.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	122836

    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ?? Isn't this precisely what AxisScale is for?
    Are you offering that as a way to do it, in which case thanks, or saying that Transform shouldn't have that ability?

    It works for if you wanted to scale just by the coloured section using the edge, but if there was no symmetry to provide vertex along the intended line of translation I don't see how it would work for the end scaling. It's not the first time I've tried to think how to solve a problem that didn't even exist, but that isn't the answer. Simply, it would be nice to choose the pivot point from one element of the model and the rotation axis of the gizmo from another... I think.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •