Thread: Instancing by points: Skelegon points: removal thereof?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Question Instancing by points: Skelegon points: removal thereof?

So, playing around with duplicating Cody's "Web Network" tutorial, which has a number of good techniques in it, recommended!

Part of my experimentation includes putting Skelegons at every network node, and converting to Bones (of course) in Layout.

However, this has an issue in that Skelegons include points, and this effect uses the POINTS mode of Instancing. Apparently conversion of Skelegons to Bones in Layout leaves the points intact, so the Instance Generator in this case is creating 3 instances instead of one (because the Skelegons are centered on the mesh points).

Now that I've typed that out, I guess the way forward is to:
    • create a NULL LAYER in Modeler, a Layer with a single unpolygonized point in it
    • copy the Skelegons from their cloned positions on the network to the null layer
    • in Layout, use the "USE BONES FROM" feature to hijack the Skelegons/Bones to the network mesh.

So, this post is about a generic problem involving using objects with Skelegons in combination with Instancing via points.

I'll try that.........
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    OK, that worked, except that once I got going I realized I could just DRAG/Re-PARENT the Bones from the NULL LAYER to the Network mesh instead of using USE BONES FROM. Then I deleted the NULL LAYER. Makes for a neater SE, although I'll probably find some use for that layer now that it's gone...
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.