Thread: Quiet Time - animation short

Quiet Time - animation short

Hi all,

I thought I would share an animation short I just finished; rendered in LW.

The short was conceptualised to be something very simple: a simple story, executed simply: minimal camera work (locked-off, 3-4 camera positions), minimal animation (12fps/by twos), minimal environments (one set), minimal shots, but just enough to get the story across. I just wanted to get finish something and not fret about details. All in all, I wanted to have some fun, and I imposed a timetable of 3 months, which I thought I wouldn't meet during the middle of the project because I had hit a stump then. But now, as I look back, I actually made it on time.

I started out with a storyboard, which got promoted to a 3d animatic. During the animatic stage, I found that in order to tell the story properly, my simple short grew to 13 shots.

The modelling was concepted in ZB (the shepherd was conceptualised by a friend), and I personally used Sculptris to concept the sheep. The modelling was mainly done in LW (with a bit of Maya during rigging) after that.

This was shaded and rendered in LW11.5.x. The decision to use LW was mainly because I needed the shading to be very controllable; this meant a full gradient-like control across the diffuse, and the the mixing of image maps and all sorts of other shaders made it sensible to use LW in this respect. Another reason, of course, was Janus(!): made it very easy to expand shots and revise existing scenes without spending another night with mundane work.

I rigged it in Maya, of course, using AdvancedSkeleton, and animated it in Maya, too. I develop an inhouse pipeline in the company I work for which was used to expedite orderly exports of the Maya cache files which LW grokked with little issues.

The comping was done in After Effects, and I did some paintings for the environment which was intentionally kept a still frame in order to put more touches in 2d.

best,

lernie.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

I liked it lernie! Sometimes the simplistic look of things hides the fact it's really quite complex. Thanks for the breakdown of your pipeline as well - it's very informative. Great job all in all!
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light

Great little video - very amusing - well done!

Regards,
    Peter
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

I really liked it, it was very cute and funny, but then I didn't get the ending, is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I really liked it, it was very cute and funny, but then I didn't get the ending, is it just me?
    Well, to be fair to you, I was pretty stumped on how to end it myself.

But the idea is, very simply, that the 'God' is actually a sheep, so be kind to sheep!

(Since moving to NZ, the two shorts that I've done have sheep as principal characters in them.....)
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

The sheep god should have come down further and while hovering just above and in front of the guy, hit him in the head with his hoof.