Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have an idea. Updating scripts

I have an idea. Updating scripts

I have an idea and wondered how everyone else feels about this. Many of our much used tools from 3rd party developers have not been updated in some time, indeed many are no longer in development but are still used by many in the community to get things done. You know those handy little scripts that just make things easier or quicker.

I was wondering if any developers would be interested in releasing the code for these scripts that they feel they no longer have time to develop and let some others coders update/enhance or both.

I am not a coder myself but would really appreciate still being able to use some of these scripts that do not work or have errors due to SDK changes in the latest versions of LightWave.

I can think of a few that i really find useful even now, Cobbleclone is one, there was also a script for a simple 3 and 4 lighting setup.

What does everyone think of this, would you agree to do it as a developer.

Just thinking out loud.

Regards, John
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

A list of what scripts don't work would be a good start. If the developer's contact info is on there then you could certainly reach out to them. Just listing what script is broken on the forum might not work as there's no guarantee they would see the forum post.

It'll ultimately be up to the developer if they want to release the source code.

Personally I try to keep my scripts uncompiled unless I have a strong reason not to.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Agreed and of course we would need a link to the script, what or why it does not work in latest LW.

I would like to try and make this a sticky, so people could update it as necessary, some sort of agreement would have to be reached with the developer as to what you can do to his/her work and how you can re share this with the community.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Another thought out loud. If a lot of these are to be re-written can it be done in Python so they can stay up-to-date and we don't have to wait for re-versioning for different platforms?

(I'm not a programmer, it more of an ongoing mac-user frustration so not sure if it's even possible in a lot of cases).

Good idea raw-m, there is an online converter for lscripts to python, not sure how good it is but it may be a start.

Anyway tomorrow im going to try and track down some of my favorite plugin/script makers and contact them. Many have moved on from LW, so maybe its a goer. My only problem is that some of my favourites are Japanese and not sure how i will fair with them. Ive contacted Sven Dannart about Cobbleclone, he has replied and ive asked about releasing the code, will wait and see his reply.

LScript to Python Convertor http://devnet.lightwave3d.com:21134/
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 05-24-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

The converter isn't perfect.

As a parallel to this subject, if a noobie wants to try to update or convert a script, this might be a good opportunity to learn scripting. Post your questions and people can help point them in the right direction. Better to teach someone to fish versus just giving them fish when they're hungry.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Agreed, well now we just have to start going through those scripts we love and contact the developers. It's not just if they dont work, but also to amend or add some other functionality to them and of course for us newbies its a way to learn LScript/Python.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Great news Sven Dannart got back to me and has released the uncompiled version of Cobbleclone. Im just getting some answers off him for q few questions then will release it to anyone who wishes to update or enhance it. Also would be interested if anyone would like to do a Python version as well. Any coders out there give us a shout.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

There is nothing developers hate more than modifying someone else's code (I'm a developer), writing software is a creative and personal process. Unless the old plugin is written in a modular fashion, it'd be better for all those interested to spell out the requirements clearly here instead so the developer can re-build it from scratch. This is also better because we have new/better SDKs now in Python.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Lightbulb customizing the defaults

1) Sekhar, sometimes a code just needs a BIT, a TEENSY bit, of alteration to make it more useful*, so having the source is extremely valuable for that, and several other reasons.

2) JohnMarchant, if you can get Chuck to agree to this, I ask you if you can start a new sticky thread with an appropriate and leading title.

I think this is a great idea: I'd prefer to see devs get compensated for their critical (for LW) work, but if they've thrown in the towel, we can surely beg for the scraps.

(They may be open to bribery: surely there's a website that facilitates that?)

*for example, I'd MUCH prefer that the MAKE NULL plugin (I believe) in Layout launch with its window maximized, instead of making me open it Every Damn Time. But just changing the defaults to one's own preferences is also a lot easier/possible-at-all if one has the code, and requires only a minimum of actual coding chops.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-25-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I agree and of course anyone who wants to look at these and make their own and especially Python ones would be most welcome. Its also good for those who are getting into LScript and or Python to learn. I would just like to keep some of these useful ones alive after the developer has moved on. After all if LW had all the tools everyone wants no one would need to produce these in the first place. I for one find myself using plugins and scripts that are 8-10 years old because they do a specific job quickly, not saying its not possible without the script.

Take sIBL ive been in contact with Christian, who has not updated it in a few years, in fact he said he is not even sure its optimised for the latest LW. sIBL is a great tool, yes you can do it manually but this makes it quicker and easier. For newbies its great and they can learn, for those of use who have done this for some time it just makes it quicker giving us more time to tweak to our requirements and spend time on other things that need it.

I find most of those i use are in modeler, modeler is in dire need of some TLC in my opinion, it really is starting to show its age, im hoping 12 will bring some but im not sure.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Will do mate if there is enough interest. Yes the Title was crap and didnt really say what it should have but i was not sure of the interest.

Sven was very kind as he has a few plugins, his still work in LW 11.6.3 im lead to believe but i know that sIBL has some errors in 11.6.3.

I have Cobbleclone, im going to talk to Christian about sIBL and see if he would release the code. Im looking to find someone who can speak and write Japanese as there are a few plugins and scripts id like to see updated and some released in 64Bit flavour as well.

Think what i will do is try and get access to a few with their permission then i will start another better titled tread and hopefully Chuck will allow it to be sticky. I would love to see the Devs compensated in some way but that will be a whole different issue as then it will be how much code is old and how much is new code by the new Dev, well there are many ways to compensate.

Im just a little concerned that many of the guys who used to write such great little scripts to do little things seem to be allot quieter now or indeed moved on. I would also like to see something done to help bring these to the Python language as this opens up so many possibilities, firstly being me learning Python.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 05-25-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Cataloging or storing this stuff on something like github might be best. Or the lwplugindb.com site.

Storing scripts and plugins on the forum is not ideal imho. Even if they were in stickies.

If a developer wants to let their PayPal email available that might help encourage competent coders. As sekhar said, fixing another's code can be very time consuming. Especially if it's not commented with notes and explanations.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Storing scripts and plugins on the forum is not ideal imho. Even if they were in stickies.
    Oh, I think everybody expected the updated versions would be available, with a note, in the usual place, https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/ . Not stored here on the forum: just compiled in a list here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    If a developer wants to let their PayPal email available that might help encourage competent coders. As sekhar said, fixing another's code can be very time consuming. Especially if it's not commented with notes and explanations.
    YMMV, but I think it's a lot more motivating to say "Hey, Ancientcoder, we have amassed the sum of $732.50 for you to update your fine plugin {nnnnnn} to 64 bit. To claim these monies, please recompile your plugin to 64 bit, and reap the reward."
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Plugins I'd really love to see updated are the Ficatech star utilties.

Ficatech Hyperglow
    Ficatech Hyperspace
    Ficatech Hyperstars

They are the only reason I still have LW 9.6 32 Bit installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast