Thread: Push me off frame 0: an autoRig request

Push me off frame 0: an autoRig request

I am poking about with auto riggers of late and would really like to see a feature added.

When the riggers are done they are always done on frame zero and completed on frame zero. I would enjoy a toggle that allowed a line in the code to be added: advance to frame X. This would allow me to rig and animate, without concern as to whether a mistake is going to ruin my week.

An efficiency request, as it were, to start animating immediately.

Thoughts on this thought?
    Thanks.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Why not just move the rigs global root to the location that you want at frame 1, etc.
    Frame 0 is usually reserved for the rest positions and its not advisable to animate starting from frame 0 anyway.
    Same for rendering sequences. Some people even render starting from frame 100.
    Or did I not get the question right?

Nope, you did not.

My desire is that when the auto rigger is done that it place me on/advance to the frame I choose.

It is a 'lazy' request if one wanted to call it such. But on the other hand, after working with LW all these years, I see it as something that beginners would benefit from.

It really emulates the others way without different windows; i.e., a real setup phase that can't get messed up. To have it fully this way, the rigger would then need to make the timeline 1 to whatever, taking frame zero out of the equation.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Convenience is a perfectly adequate defense.

We should think of our software as COMPETENT assistants: if they are doing something that causes us work or inconvenience, they are INcompetent and should be fixed/corrected. Asking for even the most trivial of conveniences is justified.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

In other words, a simple little script that automaticaly advances to frame 1, and sets the first frame of the animation to 1 (I would also add one frame to the end as well). Should be doable.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I think the OP would prefer it simply be PART of the workflow of the autorigger.

Seems eminently reasonable to me, if still a trifle dicey. If frame zero is going to be so gosh-darned important, I think it needs even MORE built-in protection, just like DeMOTIFY (aka "Super Key Delete") has a "Zero Frame Protected" SWITCH, which prevents it from deleting any keyframes on Frame Zero.

Exactly, Jeric,
    That's what I'm seeing: if it's important enough to keep, help me to do so.

And yes, would like it in the autoriggers. Seems a no-brainer to me, particularly when provided as a toggle to do so or not.

Is Genoma the autorigger that the OP is talking about? If so a feature request should be submitted. It shouldn't be hard to have the script set the scene to frame zero, build the rig and then set the scene to start at frame one.

It'd be easy to make a script do that now on its own.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Looked to me like he'd looked at several.

Ya, requests will go in.
    To several of them that are still developing.

I was curious, too, as to the thoughts of others on the topic.

Edit: I should put a tagline in that says -- that is me at work, this is me at home.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Having to remember to tiptoe around a specific, super-destructive thing, is exhausting and demoralizing. Anything that can prevent animators from destroying their work accidentally is all to the good.