Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lightwave to maya workflow

lightwave to maya workflow

is it possible to open a lightwave model in maya with the textures done in lightwave preserved?

when i open a lightwave model inside maya, the model appears fine but the textures don't show.
    Last edited by octopus2000; 05-20-2014 at 06:48 PM. Reason: additional details

Yes, I'd also like to see complete tutorials showing all the Maya-LW workflows, hint hint Newtek.

Just curious but did you try FBX with textures enabled? I haven't tried that myself since I do nearly all my renders in LightWave (mostly I use FBX to xfer camera and animations only to other apps,) but FBX should preserve UV maps and basic textures.

G.

I just imported a LW model FBX into Maya and it looks like the normal maps from the Node set up didn't show up anywhere, but standard UV'ed textures using the surface layers came in. Of course you have to go in an smooth everything if it's a sub-D mesh but I was expecting that. There are several options for FBX on export from LW, and also several switches and what have you on import to Maya, that's why I'd like to see this thoroughly explained with best practice procedures, because LW3DG made a big deal of the integration into pipelines, I think we need a sticky on this subject as well.

Greenlaw, I didn't see the textures enabled option, is that in LW or Maya?

Sorry, I was kinda guessing. Lightwave has some FBX options you can enable/disable but for textures I might be thinking of Motion Builder, which has options to enable/disable pretty much anything in the scene.

Okay, I just checked the FBX exporter in LightWave--if you look in the middle of the panel, you should see options for Materials and Embedded Textures.

I guess it wasn't just in my imagination after all.

G.

where is this fbx options?

Those options only exist in the Layout exporter (gotta love Newtek's consistency when it comes to inconsistency)
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Okay, I did that, everything came through except Maya doesn't seem to accept PSD file, is that right? Clip maps also probably will need to be re-applied and, well I've forgotten a lot of Maya so I'm having trouble hunting down the texture maps to see if the normals came with it. I really think we should have a permanent MAYA Lightwave interchange section somewhere on this forum.

ok i went to layout and exported fbx from there. the texture still doesn't show in maya. i wonder if effects studios have an easy way of doing this.

This is what I see when I use Export FBX in 11.6.2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-21_101135.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	121968

Are you using the current native FBX exporter or the old Autodesk version? The native version added all the bells and whistles, starting with version 10 I guess.

G.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, okay, so the first screen cap of the FBX dialog is from Modeler? I guess I never use that one.

yes i did check that show embedded textures. there's no effect. i tried opening the model in cinema4d, 3dsmax, and modo. it seems it's only modo that's able to display the textures without any additional manipulation. when i try to export to fbx from modo and open it in maya the texture doesn't show as well. i think i give up, i just downloaded some maya tutorials from youtube. i'll just do the texturing in maya itself.

Did you have any luck with this?

I'm needing to transfer some files with textures and morphs (still using LW 11.03 at the moment) so was wondering how good the new update to fbx is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kev xx

Well I found the window that Greenlaw posted above in LW11.03!!!

I gave it a go and experience an immediate crash

But then having turned off all textures I could export an fbx with morphs. But when importing this into Modo the morphs are completely messed up!

Turning on the 'Materials' check box for any export = crash

Whatever FBX version or ASCII or Binary I do get to work, my UVs and textures don't carry across and the morphs are all messed up.

Until I get Maya installed I can't test there, so I guess it could be importing into Modo that is not working for me, but this FBX export pretty useless for me so far

Anyone get this working?

Kev xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast