Thread: Odd Connection Question (DSL, WLAN, Serial)

Once more into the CPU!

Question Odd Connection Question (DSL, WLAN, Serial)

So in less then a month I'll be streaming out of the Tacoma Dome for my school's graduation. Now after some long emails and phone calls I got everything worked our for streaming, but to be able to view my stream I might have to have my graphics system on a different DSL line to my TriCaster so no to compromise my limited speed of 1.5 Mbps.

Questions: If my TriCaster and graphics systems are on different DSL lines would the TriCaster see the system via the ISP's WLAN? Does this sounf to risky to try? Also I remember reading in a LiveText manual once that in can connect and send via a serial port to the TriCaster... Is this still true? Do the net inputs of a TriCaster 40v2 allow for this kind of input?

Last question: How much duct tape (sanity) am I going to need to keep this all going
    2*TC Mini SDI 5-1-180323
    -BMSC
    -SDI cables
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205
    "Keeping you in tune with school!"
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SKHSVideoProduction

The connection between LiveText and TriCaster is only visible on the local LAN. These packets to not go out over the WAN and onto the Internet, with your two systems on separate DSL connections they will not see each other.

Why can't you put a gigabit router or switch between the TriCaster and LiveText station? LiveText isn't going to use up DSL bandwidth.

The serial port connection you are talking about is for LiveText to access information from supported scoreboard systems. This isn't between LiveText and TriCaster, that connection is always Ethernet.

--

I just reread what you wrote. Not sure what you mean by 'would TriCaster see the ISP WLAN'. TriCaster doesn't have a WIFI interface.
    Last edited by kanep; 05-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Once more into the CPU!
    Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I just reread what you wrote. Not sure what you mean by 'would TriCaster see the ISP WLAN'. TriCaster doesn't have a WIFI interface.
    Sorry, that should have been WAN not WLAN. But the reason for the two connections it so I one be dedicated to the TriCaster to stream and the other so I can view a return of the stream. The connections are only 1.5Mbps and at that speed I'm worried that I'll get a dropped signal if I am sending and viewing the stream.
    2*TC Mini SDI 5-1-180323
    -BMSC
    -SDI cables
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205

Can you bring another laptop for the stream confidence check computer? Then I'd do what Kane said, throw a router or switch between LiveText and the TriCaster and the your internet connection, keeping those two on the same network together. Then use that second laptop for stream viewing on its second dedicated connection.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Once more into the CPU!
    I can try that... I think my major concern at that point would be just finding and transporting the additional system. Moving $50k in video gear always gives me a nightmare.
    2*TC Mini SDI 5-1-180323
    -BMSC
    -SDI cables
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205

I'm assuming your up speed is 1.5mbit/s?

Remember that your laptop will be pulling using your downstream bandwidth. While it certainly will be using some upstream to manage the stream, its a very small amount of bandwidth being used. There is a little spike of upstream usage when starting the stream up and then after that its minimal upstream bandwidth (typically 1kbit/s or less).
    Last edited by kanep; 05-20-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I agree with the guys before me. No reason not to just use a Gigabit switch or router to spread out your internet supply. Machines like the TriCaster and LiveText will be talking to each other directly on your network not over the internet. I would suggest just letting the LiveText machine do LiveText duties and add another laptop to be your Quality Control checker.

You can also (and should to be thorough if providing mobile streams) use a tablet or smartphone to check your stream. I usually have 2 or 3 devices up watching the stream playback to be ahead of any possible challenges. I use the LTE/4G data on the smartphone/tablet along with the wifi from the hardline off the Peplink router we use. Sucking up some of your data plan is necessary if you really want to know what is happening out in the real world.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Once more into the CPU!
    Well I just got word back from the venue that even if I paid for two connections, one for the TriCaster and LiveText and the other for just view via a laptop, they would be using the same bandwidth. They also couldn't give me a straight answer on if the 1.5Mbps was up, down, or total. The only good news is they told me the a local university was doing a graduation this weekend and that they are planning to stream through the venue's DSL line. Did a few phone calls and found out not only is that university, PLU, using a TriCaster but they also streamed from the Tacoma Dome last year. I took a look at the record and it looked good. The PLU contact told me he didn't have a hardline return, but did use his phone for spot checking.

The current plan now is to do what you guys have suggested with small gig switch. Before the event we'll do a test stream and see if anything wonky happens with having the TriCaster stream and the laptop receive the feed at the same time. If there is a problem my boss can use his phone to spot check the stream. I'll still need to use the laptop to post any messages or tweak some settings live while we stream, but that shouldn't take that much bandwidth.

Now on to the next problem, not graphics related, which is to see if I can pull the stream from YouTube cleanly and send it to the TriCaster at the high school so it can be broadcasted live on our cable channel. I know I can use VGA Pro for that, but I still need to test it and find a student knowledgeable enough to handle a TriCaster40v1, VGA Pro, and a UltraNexus.
    2*TC Mini SDI 5-1-180323
    -BMSC
    -SDI cables
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205