Thread: Something Newtek should consider making more flexible

Something Newtek should consider making more flexible

I read this article - http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...r_out_of_chaos - Reading it, I was impressed that the guy managed to get Chaos Group to actually respond to his request to make a Vray plugin for Motionbuilder... but really, Newtek was championing this sort of thing 4 years ago. Only problem is.. they never made more out of it.

Take, for example, the mocap system he's using. Naturalpoint Optitrack. Newtek's support of mocap tech extends to Kinects, Playstation Move controllers and the now discontinued Intersense camera. They really should look strongly into supporting the Optitrack system for their virtual camera tech... as well as offering a robust VRPN socket. I would LOVE to be able to just turn on my Optitrack system, hook it right into Lightwave (bypassing motionbuilder entirely) and stream mocap data and virtual camera data straight into layout with the VPR turned on. Thing is, I'm not a programmer, and utilizing the VRPN hook that Optitrack offers for connection to programs other than Motionbuilder is outside my ability. Naturalpoint staff aren't going to craft a Lightwave plugin for me, either.

So, something for Newtek to watch out for. Someone else is completely stealing Newtek's thunder in regards to Virtual Production.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Tough call, sinse they ALREADY supported on system that went south. A question of corporate resources.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Tough call, sinse they ALREADY supported on system that went south. A question of corporate resources.
    Very true! The solution is to do what they can to enable a robust VRPN hook with some plugins for current systems like the Optitrack and the Oculus. VRPN is geared as an "open" VR toolset for this sort of application. Problem is, the implementation of VRPN is completely left up to the user to make a program / DLLs / etc to get it to work. The reason the guy using Vray in MB got it to work is because the Optitrack system has a virtual camera system built in with a native plugin... and he somehow got ChaosGroup to make a viewport rendering plugin for Motionbuilder. Naturally, ChaosGroup isn't going to sell this plugin.
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Again, considering they already had THREE systems working (for some value of 'working'), it seems to be LW3dG already has a "a robust VRPN hook". But that doesn't especially mean they can afford to support every system that comes down the pike, alas.

Especially when there's plenty of low hanging fruit going crying..... (ok, that sounds weird...)....
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.