Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Creative Cloud suffering extended outage

Adobe Creative Cloud: Too little too soon?

"f anything can be gleaned and applied here from the re-birth of Microsoft, it’s that stiff competition can compel a company to be more open, more flexible (which includes offering on-premise and cloud-based versions of software, each with distinct market propositions), and more in tune with the needs of its customers.

GPU virtualisation is in the offing but the technology isn’t quite there yet, so offering a fully cloud-based version of its creative suite software may have to wait (though the company has said it’s working on it). But when combined with its monopolistic position it increasingly appears as though Adobe is, for the time being, content having its cake and eating it too, offering non-cloud software on a cloud consumption model basis while offering customers few of the benefits of cloud and exposing them to all of the drawbacks (security breaches, unplanned outages). The company has even elicited petitions from customers asking the company’s leadership to stop forcing users to pay cloud subscriptions for what is effectively non-cloud software"

http://www.businesscloudnews.com/201...ttle-too-soon/
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    Adobe Creative Cloud: Too little too soon?

"f anything can be gleaned and applied here from the re-birth of Microsoft, it’s that stiff competition can compel a company to be more open, more flexible (which includes offering on-premise and cloud-based versions of software, each with distinct market propositions), and more in tune with the needs of its customers.

GPU virtualisation is in the offing but the technology isn’t quite there yet, so offering a fully cloud-based version of its creative suite software may have to wait (though the company has said it’s working on it). But when combined with its monopolistic position it increasingly appears as though Adobe is, for the time being, content having its cake and eating it too, offering non-cloud software on a cloud consumption model basis while offering customers few of the benefits of cloud and exposing them to all of the drawbacks (security breaches, unplanned outages). The company has even elicited petitions from customers asking the company’s leadership to stop forcing users to pay cloud subscriptions for what is effectively non-cloud software"

http://www.businesscloudnews.com/201...ttle-too-soon/
    Already posted that Roberto. Hurry... RUN AWAY. You are just against CC and this outage was not really THAT serious. Read the recent posts to see.

... And the religious war continues ... Heels dug-in. Defend your decision at all costs; just because you want to feel better about how you did or didn't spend, and/or continue to spend, your $$$. Also some people remind me of Republicans, while others remind me of Democrats and still others remind me of Independents. I wonder what the correlation may be. Hmmmm....

There is only one thing that all seem to agree on: That Adobe removing choice is a dumb-*** move and serves only them. Leave it a that and CLOSE THIS THREAD, so it can finally drop out of our daily sight. (Yeah, I'm free to not come in here but it's just too tantalizing to read some of the skewed spew that I can't help myself.)
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    ... And the religious war continues ... Heels dug-in. Defend your decision at all costs; just because you want to feel better about how you did or didn't spend, and/or continue to spend, your $$$. Also some people remind me of Republicans, while others remind me of Democrats and still others remind me of Independents. I wonder what the correlation may be. Hmmmm....

There is only one thing that all seem to agree on: That Adobe removing choice is a dumb-*** move and serves only them. Leave it a that and CLOSE THIS THREAD, so it can finally drop out of our daily sight. (Yeah, I'm free to not come in here but it's just too tantalizing to read some of the skewed spew that I can't help myself.)
    I just posted it as news. Kind of like "is it me or is everyone having problems with this?" thing.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by m4a2000 View Post
    So as some one moving a whole video program from Final Cut Pro 7 to Premier Pro should I wait or use the cloud now?
    Davince Resolve 12 may be a game changer - it's supposed to come out in the upcoming weeks/june. For FCP users this tidbit of info may be of interest:

Resolve’s powerful round tripping can import and conform your sequences using everything from basic EDLs to AAF and Final Cut XML’s. That means DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most compatible post production application.
    The amazing thing is that the Lite version is completely free, and allows up to 1080p editing. The new NLE features look very, very interesting.

Do I have to mention the excellent colour grading?

This is going to be great. I have been a long time Premiere user and quit using Adobe products about 119 months ago. Lightworks is also nice, but DaVinci Resolve 11 looks excellent.

Btw, version 10 also includes a NLE.

Oops, forgot linky: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/p...solve/workflow
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    Adobe Creative Cloud: Too little too soon?...
    Another obvious biased story. Notice the language..."Millions of users were affected" used a couple times in that piece. Millions, really? Last time I checked and it was recently, there was just under 2 million subscribers. So there aren't even "millions" of CC users, how could 'millions of users' possibly have been affected? Also, "growing crisis".. What growing crisis? You could call Adobe going cloud only a crisis if that's how you choose to look at it but 'growing crisis'? Please. Also, log into applications? You don't log into the applications. That makes it sound like to open an application, every single users has to log in and they were unable to do that. Either the Author is clueless as to how the system works or he's just trying to be dramatic and make things sound worse then it was. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Of course, you can glean everything you need to know from that article too if you look for it. Adobe provided a workaround for those affected by the outage by taking them back to the apps operating for 30 days from last login. So if people actually bothered to contact Adobe upon having issues, they would have been provided a workaround for them to be able to use their applications regardless of the outage. So many people had no issues during the blackout, and others would have been able to use a workaround. So how many people were really affected? Millions? Drama Queen story.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Also, log into applications? You don't log into the applications. That makes it sound like to open an application, every single users has to log in and they were unable to do that. Either the Author is clueless as to how the system works or he's just trying to be dramatic and make things sound worse then it was. I'm leaning toward the latter.
    You can CHOOSE not to believe what many people (yes, many) say on Facebook AND on the Adobe (and other) forums, but apparently many HAVE to log on to the Adobe server every time they start up the program - or they cannot use the program. If you want to, you can call them all liars. Again - JUST because you don't have that problem doesn't mean that they don't. LW rarely crashes here. But I guess that if YOU had a crash you really didn't, because *I* don't.

And for the record, I agree with you about the "millions of users affected." A little dramatic and distorted. But it WAS many since Adobe had to address the issue of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Adobe provided a workaround for those affected by the outage by taking them back to the apps operating for 30 days from last login. So if people actually bothered to contact Adobe upon having issues, they would have been provided a workaround for them to be able to use their applications regardless of the outage.
    You must think that everyone is stupid. If you had bothered to check FB (and Twitter) - which you obviously did not - that workaround did not work for many people. Do you honestly think that the people seriously affected did not contact Adobe? Do you want to spend HOURS on the phone waiting for support? Check out FB and the Adobe forums and see for yourself.

(Oops, I forgot)

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Okay. I give up. You win. Everything I said was incorrect. There were no major problems. Move along, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Megalodon2.0; 05-22-2014 at 12:57 AM.

I couldn't access adobe cc a few days ago.
    But I installed a new beta release so I had to login. If I didn't install a new build it would have worked without needing to login.
    And when I couldn't login I just selected the 30 day trial and it worked fine.
    But I accept subscription based software now just as I accept that I have to pay for water, electricity, phone bills, internet forever.
    But only on selected software. Adobe is just industry standard. I wouldn't do subscription on smaller appz or non industry standard appz.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    I just posted it as news. Kind of like "is it me or is everyone having problems with this?" thing.
    I know. Nothing bad on you at all. It's just taken a really ugly and useless turn.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Just remember that "bias" can go both ways.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Adobe Creative Cloud outage workaround highlights DRM issues

The outage of Adobe Creative Cloud has caused substantive difficulties in the publishing world by tying a DRM scheme to locally installed software
    The "service" in software-as-a-service

Unlike software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings from other companies, this is not a case in which the SaaS offering is a cheaper alternative compared to the standalone desktop version. Adobe Creative Cloud is the only means through which users can access the most recent version of programs previously offered in Adobe Creative Suite, such as Photoshop. Adobe announced in May 2013 that no further versions of Adobe Creative Suite would be offered, instead opting to force all users onto the subscription-based Adobe Creative Cloud, to the frustration of users.

It is not the case that users of Creative Cloud are second-tier citizens in this ecosystem; Creative Cloud is intended to be Adobe's premier ready-for-primetime offering. The difference between the two products is relatively slim -- Creative Cloud uses a new, incompatible file format, and offers cloud storage of files, along with some web-based utilities for desktop publishing. Overwhelmingly, the product is the same as it ever was, with the actual computational tasks being handled by the software installed on the user's computer. As such, the requirement to "log in" to a legitimately purchased program before using any of the cloud-connected services is tantamount to a Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme.
    Support and workarounds

The Adobe chat support line (which experienced longer than normal wait times due to the nature of the outage, causing a strain on the system) recommends users check for solutions to their problems on the Adobe support forums. These forums require logging in with the Adobe ID in order to post, a task which proved impossible with the outage of the authentication services.

Adobe, to its credit, did provide a workaround for most of the products affected by this outage. This workaround, as explained by Adobe, is to disconnect from the internet and restart the program on your computer. However, this workaround highlights the extent to which the license verification DRM is broken. Given that the bulk of the software in Adobe Creative Cloud package is actually desktop software with cloud storage features tacked on, the Adobe Login service isn't needed for most of the functions that the software provides.
    When pirated software is more reliable

The initial workaround to the connectivity issue is to disconnect the computer from the internet and restart the program. Programs such as Photoshop are not dependent on cloud services to apply visual effects to photos. This will continue to work for 30 days since the last verified login to the Adobe authentication server.

Illicit versions of Adobe Creative Cloud defeat the connectivity check by redirecting the cloud login check to the user's IP, and extending the amount of time that can occur for the next verified login from the Adobe authentication server. (Note: We are not endorsing pirating software.)

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...s-drm-issues/#.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

LW Watcher
    Hmm. It's like groundhog day.

We'd all like Adobe to give people the choices they want, and when it's good for their bottom line, they may well do so, but I doubt they're following this thread to decide on their way forward.

There's a difference between not joining in the 'Adobe is evil' sentiment and not understanding the issues, so it's somewhat insulting for the Adobe naysayers to regurgitate the same arguments and info in the hope of raising a crowd with flaming torches to march on the Adobe HQ. I think that it's fair to say that everyone on the thread understands the negative impact of Adobe's move to software rental and there is respect for those upset about it. Absolutely nobody wants their choices to be reduced.

Some people were affected by the CC outage, while I suspect the vast majority were not. I didn't know about it until this thread appeared. It was just a blip and it's done with now.

If you're not an Adobe CC user, you should count yourself lucky and remain happy with your existing software choices and future decisions, knowing that you are dodging any issues arising out of the Adobe CC cloud. The last thing you should be doing is rehashing an issue about software that you don't use and don't intend to use.

I think we're done now, aren't we?
    Last edited by pauland; 05-23-2014 at 07:01 AM.

Megalodon, could you pretty please knock off the Yelling in your posts? If one has to capitalize key words to knock back at someone continually, then, in my eyes, is a pretty bad state.

As yourself, others may each have their own opinions, but everyone should respect the others rights to such opinions and not need. . . .

I don't see this thread going anywhere.

Some like the cloud, some don't, some are having problems with it, some aren't.

That's about it right? Can we move on now and create some cool work to post!

Cheers
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by jburford View Post
    Megalodon, could you pretty please knock off the Yelling in your posts? If one has to capitalize key words to knock back at someone continually, then, in my eyes, is a pretty bad state.

As yourself, others may each have their own opinions, but everyone should respect the others rights to such opinions and not need. . . .
    I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND, THIS IS YELLING.

What I have been doing, is NOT yelling. But then... you have your opinion and I have mine. I have not said "shut up, I don't want to hear your opinion." They have stated their opinion and I have stated mine. If you and they cannot handle that, then stop reading my posts. It's really that simple. Everyone DOES have the right to their opinion and I have NEVER said that they did not - and if you think I have, you are misunderstanding my posts.

Now I have to agree with Matt - time to move on - at least until the next Adobe debacle.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast