Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another archviz render...

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    cycles is blender right. How are you converting lw to blender?
    Yep, Cycles is the new blender render engine (or sort of, as what's being called "internal" -the original blender render engine- is still there and maintained) and it's a path tracer, really easy to set-up and fast, pretty cool, a bit like Arnold. (don't get me wrong, it's not as powerful as Arnold, just that the way it works is quite similar)

As for converting the scene to blender, it's quite simple : you load the LWO objects (either with the integrated LWO importer or with the new one that is being developped, there is a thread about it here and recreate the scene in blender !

Cycles is rendering now and i'll post the result this afternoon.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

So here is the Cycles render of the scene :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interieur_Cycles.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	122138

Took 2h16' on my Core i7/4770k @ 4Ghz, given i probably didn't set it the best way possible (i'm far from being a Cycles expert) and i let it render to be almost noise free.
    But i was quite pleasantly surprised by what i could get with this render engine. (free, as is blender !)

Now to Thea (will let it "cook" this night) and i will be set.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

LW Watcher
    That's really nice.

Hi!

First, thank you for sharing the scene. I am attaching my try. 1h20min on i7-2600 3.4GHZ, but of course I have changed the materials, some lights and render setup.

Name:	01_1h21min.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	122143

PS: I forgot, this is straight from LW renderer.

Quote Originally Posted by medzo View Post
    Hi!

First, thank you for sharing the scene. I am attaching my try. 1h20min on i7-2600 3.4GHZ, but of course I have changed the materials, some lights and render setup.

Name:	01_1h21min.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	122143

PS: I forgot, this is straight from LW renderer.
    Hi, thank you for your render.

The major problem i see with it is that it seems very "flat", as if you just used Ambient Occlusion only ?

In the meantime here is a Thea render done overnight (still noisy but that's the beauty of Thea, you can let it "cook" for as long as you want, resume a render you did before, etc, etc... A bit like FPrime was for those who miss this great feature from FPrime !) :

Name:	Interieur_Design_Thea.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	122144

This time i think i have done it with almost all the render engines at my disposal (minus Indigo for blender, perhaps in the future... ), now to the next project !

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Thanks for your tests, they helped a lot to see the difference, or no difference, of the render engines; and finally some Modo renderings too. So whats your next project ?

Wow, overnight for the Thea pic, compared to 1 hour for the LightWave version =O

Btw, sad to read that the Kray Master dont want to be a Kray Master anymore, definitly a big loss for the Kray community.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ingo View Post
    Thanks for your tests, they helped a lot to see the difference, or no difference, of the render engines; and finally some Modo renderings too. So whats your next project ?
    Yes, it shows about all render engines are now able to give great results, and the differences are even less noticeable when you post-process the raw renders, which is, in my opnion, absolutely mandatory.
    Now there are still lots of differences in the way each render engine will be able to give you the desired result, and features that are unreachable to some, i.e. caustics from anything else than a "physical" render engine looks poor and fake.

As for my next project you will see it soon, as i have quite a bit of renders waiting to be shown already, i just try to avoid flooding the forums !
    Wow, overnight for the Thea pic, compared to 1 hour for the LightWave version =O
    Yes, that's quite long i admit, but that's "the nature of the beast".
    And don't forget that you get the "final" result in less than 30 seconds with this kind of render engine, you just need to let it "cook" longer to see the noise disappear.
    Also this render isn't realy challenging, but sometimes you end up rendering a lot faster with this kind of engine rather than in LightWave or any "biased" render engine like Kray, Vray, modo, etc, etc...
    Not to mention the "relight" feature which let you set each light intensity to your taste, even after the render is done, which is fantastic to fine tune the exact desired mood of your scene.

That said, i'm glad i still have LightWave to be able to render in less time !
    EDIT : i forgot to mention the Thea render was done in 1500x1000, downsized to 750x500, so it explains a bit why it's taking so long, even if it couldn't be done in 1 hours noise free, anyway.
    Btw, sad to read that the Kray Master dont want to be a Kray Master anymore, definitly a big loss for the Kray community.
    Yes, i saw this news and it's a very bad news for Kray community as Janusz is a real boost with his incredible knowledge of this render engine.
    Let's hope he's not going forever, it would be an irreparable loss.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.
    Last edited by Tartiflette; 06-02-2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Added information...

Well if you do ArchViz a good testscene would be an outdoor scene with a few trees and instanced bushes, hedges, grass ..... and a house. That way you can test how you can fill the scene with instances (how it works, and how the program reacts, or not, with lots of instances) and how the rendertimes are. Modo seems to render a lot slower with instanced green stuff than LightWave, but so far i only made a quick test last year.

Regarding Thea, i have seen a lot of nice looking renderings in the Thea forum, BUT they always have a lot of noise. So the rendertime is in the end a lot slower than doing it with LW or Modo. Lets see what rendertime Markus has with Maxwell and what quality Maxwell, or Markus, can deliver

Regarding Thea, i have seen a lot of nice looking renderings in the Thea forum, BUT they always have a lot of noise. So the rendertime is in the end a lot slower than doing it with LW or Modo. Lets see what rendertime Markus has with Maxwell and what quality Maxwell, or Markus, can deliver
    My experience with maxwell~render (i owned a license that i have given to a friend, as it wasn't of any use for me, finally...) is that it's always much slower to resolve the noise than Thea, which is in my opinion (and given the fact i have tried almost all "physical" render engines) the fastest of all to get to acceptable levels of noise.

But you're right, it's always tempting to stop the render process earlier (and perhaps Thea users have less power at their disposal than the average maxwell user ?), the downside being that there's still noise in difficult part of the renders.
    I know it's about always the mistake i'm doing (but you can refine it later if you wish, that's the beauty of the beast !): ending it too soon.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Btw, sad to read that the Kray Master dont want to be a Kray Master anymore, definitly a big loss for the Kray community.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a case of not wanting to, some other issue, perhaps the reality of living, expenses, other employment or family, but not because he doesn't want to continue with Kray, if he could he would.

I prefer that LW render to the Thea one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    .... I know it's about always the mistake i'm doing (but you can refine it later if you wish, that's the beauty of the beast !): ending it too soon. ....
    I know that oh so well. But its hard to tell the client that i can refine the rendering later if he wants too

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I don't think it's a case of not wanting to, some other issue, perhaps the reality of living, expenses, other employment or family, but not because he doesn't want to continue with Kray, if he could he would. ....
    Yup, youre right, BUT he hasn't stated why he gave up. He even wanted to cancel his Kray forum membership which dont understand. Even Jure was completly invisible when he gave up Kray support so i dont really know what is going on there behind the scenes.

I don't think it's a case of not wanting to, some other issue, perhaps the reality of living, expenses, other employment or family, but not because he doesn't want to continue with Kray, if he could he would.
    I totally agree, "real" life is more important than anything else, it's just that from a pure selfish point of vue i would prefer if he wasn't leaving.
    I prefer that LW render to the Thea one.
    Don't forget that the Thea render shown here is without any post-process, while the original LightWave render was quite heavily post-processed.
    But LightWave is still there and capable of doing great renders, no doubt about that.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast