Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another archviz render...

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ingo View Post
    Cool, where have you posted the scene ? I'll give it a try with M701 ... oh, and i desperatly wait for the pics from Janusz
    It's not been posted yet, i'm trying to do an almost viewable version of this scene ! (talk about shame not knowing modo's render engine better, but it's so frustrating to use on heavy scenes that i have completely stopped fighting with it... That's also the reason i didn't buy my upgrade to 801)

If you hang around The Foundry's forums you'll probably see it in the evening. (i won't post the link here, for obvious reasons)

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

P.S. : Oh, and by the way, i'm more than eager to see what the real Kray Master will be able to do with the scene !!

no problem, i already downloaded the other versions and imported the LW objects, worked fine so far.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

no problem, i already downloaded the other versions and imported the LW objects, worked fine so far.
    It's up now, let's see what can be done with it, should be fun !

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

If I load the scene into 11.6.3 and just change the view. Crash. If I load the scene and hit F9. Crash. Load into 11.5.1 hit F9. Crash. Atleast in 11.5.1 I can change the view. Reset the cache. Still crashes. If I turn off GI it renders in both.

Has to be a node, which are all up do date as far as I can tell. If it turn off the nodes it renders with GI in both.

Which ones are you using in the scene??

EDIT:
    Tracked it down.. You have to use the latest db&w Tools plugin.
    Last edited by MSherak; 05-29-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    If I load the scene into 11.6.3 and just change the view. Crash. If I load the scene and hit F9. Crash. Load into 11.5.1 hit F9. Crash. Atleast in 11.5.1 I can change the view. Reset the cache. Still crashes. If I turn off GI it renders in both.

Has to be a node, which are all up do date as far as I can tell. If it turn off the nodes it renders with GI in both.

Which ones are you using in the scene??

EDIT:
    Tracked it down.. You have to use the latest db&w Tools plugin.
    Oh yes, sorry for that i forgot to mention that the scene is using DPont SunSky plugin as well as some surfaces have [email protected] Tools nodes in the node setup.
    I remembered i had to remove any use of IFW2 textures in the shared scene as it isn't a free plugin but i forgot to mention the use of those 2 plugins which are available for anyone to use, thanks for reminding me and sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Eh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    Ok, so here is the modified scene to avoid any object or material i can't share...
    Nice! So, from my early experiments with the Octane PMC version... it seemed a tad too slow - about 1.05 ms/s (estimate 36 minutes after 1000 samples) on my Titan, and very, very noisy. I fiddled with lighting and discovered that portal lights are actually quite faster than the regular ones (for some reason I thought it would be the opposite); removing all the lights and cranking up ambient improved the noise sitch, but not the ms/s ratio. Hmm. Remove the trees... bang, 2.5 ms/s. Aha! It's always the damn vegetation's fault, isn't it. I'll play with it some more, but it sure shows how good K-Ray still is, in the right circumstances.

ADP.

ok, thought i'd just share for you what i got when i played around.
    26 minute render, and here it is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interior26min-16-32AA-6bounce-rays512.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	122092

i made a version with 750 intensity too, cant recall if this was it or not.
    AA is 16/32 so pretty high settings. i was expecting it to be 100 minutes but it did it in a quarter that time, not bad.
    also reflection blur i usually set between 3 and 10 max, i saw you have some set to 35, have you tried low settings?

so thats 26 minutes for this render, its default lw i tweaked the radiosity settings specifically
    minimum pix space to 3
    and max to 300
    indirect to 6
    secondary bounces to 128 down from 256
    also set to final gather istead of monte carlo.

the other difference is some plugins did not load, Color correcter, and some light thing, i dont have dp installed yet.
    still it's almost 1/2 the 70 minutes you got.

this is rendered on a laptop i7 3 ghz 8gb ram. lw 11.6 latest patch.

I'll be playing with it this weekend, just adding some extra props to it, hopefully a neon sign for the wall, and a character or two just for fun.
    thanks again, i needed a good interior to play with, i'm learning architecture stuff lately so this is very helpful to see how you put it together.
    peter

Great to see experimentations with this scene, keep them coming !

As for the plug-ins used in this scene, as pointed out by MSherak, i forgot to mention that it needs DPont SunSky's plugin (available for free, though a donation would be very welcome if you like his plug-ins which, imho, are invaluable for the LightWave community) as well as DB&W Tools, which is also free to use. (and Mike has also got some mandatory plugz, check them out if you don't already own them ! And a BIG thanks for making DPont's plugins accessible to the Mac community, of course ! )

Octane doesn't like this scene too much to be honest, there is still a lot of noise even after a long rendering time (i even exported the whole to Octane standalone in order to let it "cook" as long as i could but after 30000 samples it was far from being noise free so i think this scene is not the best case scenario for Octane... ) and for the reflection blur, it's set quite high because some surfaces are only marginally reflective, so it needs to be set high to avoid a "phong effect" that wouldn't be desirable. I know those things introduce a lot of noise in the renders but it's always needed if you want your surfaces to look as "real" as possible.

Can't wait to see what will be done with those who want to play with it, and waiting eagerly for Janusz's magic with his Kray render !
    As a side note, my modo scene doesn't seem to have any success, we'll see if someone is decided to give it a go.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    As a side note, my modo scene doesn't seem to have any success, we'll see if someone is decided to give it a go. ...
    At least you had a nice chat with John I did some tests but now i have to do some "real" work. Modos renderer is not as easy to setup as LWs, its more like Kray, especially if you want to get rid of noise in reflections.

At least you had a nice chat with John I did some tests but now i have to do some "real" work. Modos renderer is not as easy to setup as LWs, its more like Kray, especially if you want to get rid of noise in reflections.
    Yeah, cool to speak with John, a really nice guy and a Mac user so he's automatically a great person !

As for modo's render engine, yes, that's one of the thing i find frustrating about it : you can have a really good render in no time (sometimes it's really impressive how fast modo can be !) but if you want to have a great render you end up multiplying the rendering times by a BIG amount (at least that's my experience, i must admit i'm not an expert with this render engine...). That coupled with the fact you don't have a "magic" setting as in LightWave, with which you "just" crank up the AA samples and you will get a noise free render (at the expense of render time, that's for sure, but at least it's easy to raise the quality...), and i end up almost never using it.

Anyway, i'm making a "last" version with Cycles (blender's new render engine) and finally with Thea (as a "Master" render comparison) and that will be it, i already passed too much time on this render and i konw how it goes with this kind of test, 10 years after you still find ways to improve one part or the other and it's never quite finished !

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

lol, yeah, did i tell you i am a Mac user too

The problem is that Modo makes things overly complicated and the development seems to be pretty unstructured, thats what drives me back to Lightwave.

A Thea version would be nice to see too, still waiting for the Kray master though .... and Kray 3

thanks for sharing! well, given a bit of free time, i can try to make a maxwell version in the next days... stay tuned ;-)

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    thanks for sharing! well, given a bit of free time, i can try to make a maxwell version in the next days... stay tuned ;-)

markus
    Hey Markus, that would be cool to have a maxwell version as well, that way we would end up with pretty much every "big" render engines on the market... minus Vray, which is quite weird when you think "archviz" !

I'll post the Cycles version today or tomorrow and the Thea version a bit later (still have to edit some parts, and as the blender plug-in doesn't want to work for me since a few weeks, i have to edit everything in thea studio, and that take quite a bit of time...)

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Never heard of Vray but isn't there someone who can render this with Arnold ??

Never heard of Vray but isn't there someone who can render this with Arnold ??
    We should ask Juan if he can find enough time to setup the scene for Arnold !
    I would have done it if i was testing Arnold but i don't have it nor the LightWave plugin so it would be a bit difficult.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast