ok thats what i tried i had a mesh object agent then called

mypoly = mesh.polygon[x]
mysurface = mypoly.surface;

no go that way

also try calling the surface as a method as well thinking it would return the first surface for that poly

as of right now i have my export outputing all the data no i ended up just going down to the point level to query for the surface's using isMapped on the uvmap of each surface it is the long way but it works for now

i am having issues with my bone data comming out mangeled but i think that has to do with the engine im importing to

also found a work around for getting the point normals in layout
have to run normalbaker on a model first in modeler then save and jsut search for the custom vmap type it makes