Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crowds

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    is there a reason for that? because that thing simply life saver for archviz projects..
    Well, for starters Ive only written it for a one off project. To that end its very much tailored to the specific needs of the shots required, and to design and write the whole thing, plus deliver the final shots in a 2 week time frame means that it's been very much THROWN together. There's some real ugly code in there that's been necessary to fix a certain problem in a certain place, or deal with a specific are of the map, etc... This boils down to the fact that its not really a general solution that could just be used on any ol project. Ofc, it could be so used, but atm that requires me to go in and code specific changes along the way. If all you're wanting is just a bunch of people milling around an area, or set of streets, paths, etc... sure... The actual crowd behaviour code is designed to try and produce natural, organic crowd motion (which is why I had to make this in the first place... flocking is too "jumpy")... but thats a very basic (and actually pretty simple.. code wise) sort of an affair. Whilst Im sure that for some folk, that may be enough to serve their needs on many arch viz projects... it not enough for me to consider releasable as a product.

But even though its pretty easy to get the basic ai of a system like this up and active, and get some nice, simple motions together... to take it further, and make it much more general, flexible, and productive system would require (Id be guessing) some several months of further research and development work, and Ive not the mind atm to sink those time and effort resources into it. I will ofc continue to tinker with I imagine, and it might evolve into something more productisable, but for the minute Ive not the plans to take it in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Is this generating a scene file outside of LW, then imported
    It is... though thats kinda immaterial. Atm, I define the environment (roads, walkways) in LW by laying out a basic map... export that. My simulator imports the file, builds the map as a series of "cells of a type/content" and then the agents navigate through that... saves out a file thats basically a bunch of motions, use an importer script to turn this into keyframes on items back in LW. Ofc, it could jsut as easily all run from LW, just by making a plugin that called on the appropriate simulator parts, delivering the results straight from memory to LWs timeline... but atm its essentially an external application.

Cheers.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    It is... though thats kinda immaterial.
    Cheers.
    Thanks RH. It was really just an academic question.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Intersections... crosswalks... and a whole buncha traffic...

Im just into the final stages of wrapping on this project now... I'll post some more examples of the final outcome next week in the finished section.

Cheers.
    wow! impressive!
    new web page up www.null.hr

just another lil show of people now the behaviour method for it is more or less done...

RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

One thing about crowd sims for archviz, no 21st Century slobs in baggy T-shirts, tracksuits, girls with muffin tops or *** crack tattoos, everyone is smartly dressed and looking hot.

This version is looking much more natural. Very nice work!

G.

I really like the behavior of the agents, especially how smooth are the changes in direction/avoidance. Just wondering, could you somehow save some kind of "speed" attribute per point and use it in LW to control speed of animation cycle, or even switch between different ones (in hope to minimize feet sliding as much as possible).
    Great work RH!

Cheers,
    Sasa
    Animator - Vimeo, Behance

Yes, the avoidance behaviour is a big part of the "look" for this, its the main reason I put this together in favour of using flocking, which just looks for collision and gives too sharp changes in speed and direction. Ive pretty much tried to replicate the way in which we, people, "view" a a crowd that we're in and how we go about navigating a path through it, pre-emptively avoiding oncomers rather than simply waiting till we're about to bump into them.

And sure, you could use the actual speed of a given agent to alter the speed of an animation cycle, but that would require per agent characters and motions... As it stands so far, this is all using instancing (and there's only 9 individual meshes used here), thus each instance can't have its speed ramped based on its own motion.

Its a toss up... doing it this way with instances, allows you to have thousands of agents in a scene, doing it the other would limit you to maybe a few tens at most.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Its a toss up... doing it this way with instances, allows you to have thousands of agents in a scene, doing it the other would limit you to maybe a few tens at most.
    True...I really hope to see some greater control over animated instances in future versions of LW. Once again, great job on that avoidance behavior!
    Animator - Vimeo, Behance

Man...GR888888888888888888

Great stuff again regarding the last lil people crowd stuff RebelHill, If you have not further plans due to lack of time or passion for it, try sell it to the lw group for a discount on future lightwave products or something, better that than having that crowd tool go to sleep mode not utilized, or make it commercial to a very low cost or something, or bundle it to come with some training videos if you purchase those..just some suggestions.

Cool too see crowd and ai stuff showing up, I wonder what happened to the other crowd stuff someone was working on, canīt recall what it was though.

MiArmy is the s*** though or massive...having agents react to environment in a far more advanced way, maybe someday we could get even further advanced ai, Not sure if it was James Wilmott or someone else reacting to my Miarmy thread..saying thatīs the stuff they like to see as inspiration...just maybe, maybe they are actually working on something more advanced right now.

Michael

Like an eejit, I went back and had a go at rewriting a large part of the agent and crowd solver, as certain things weren't handled so well. This shows some results of the new solver in action...

1. Just agents freely wandering about a plane. Not so so different from previous things, but collision and avoidance between agents is far better.

2. Agents respond differently as their environment changes. In a tight, constrained area, with alternating goal points, natural, co-operative flows, and counter flows emerge in the crowd as a whole. None of this kind of behaviour is specifically coded for, it just results from the individual actions of each agent adding up.

3. In a street/floor like area we can see how agent motion is very natural at regular, sparse populations...

4. And we can see the same area populated with 1600 agents. The solver still keeps things working, even at high density, with minimal collision issues. Agents also begin to exhibit queue and wait behaviours, and an organic, large scale structure begins to appear in the crowd motion as a whole.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

3000 agents with instances.

RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Very cool, now all you need is something to alter the behaviour based on speed, so they don't continue walking when stuck on a wall Looks much better now though!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Tobian beat me to it, but: if an agent doesn't move for a while, can it switch strategies to free it from a cul de sac?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast