Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypervoxels moving clouds with Dpont sunsky-Revisit part2.

I will show how the fog affects the look of the clouds too...later on.

Blog Entries
    kewlness
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Looks nice.

Hereīs some post process fiddling, not exactly from the same scene, I made some other changes in the clouds with some other voxel settings etc...here I just want to show some postprocessing in photoshop.

so the first image is a straight render, the second image Is blurred a little on the clouds, maybe to much by the way..and I did some color correction... I also made a faked godray layer with the radial zoom trick, and the second image is a blend of 80 percent opacity over the first straight rendered image.
    The third image is the same as the second but no blending with the first layer, thus it has 100% of the effects.

Godrays with volumetric lights only in lightwave isnīt a joy exactly in terms of setting up ..and rendering, I have done that before with some particle fields and volumetric lights ..It looked decent, but this scene I just couldnīt get any decent out of that...it simply halted everything to sleep, so ozone still shine with that..and maybe ogo taiki.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	straight render.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	121586 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godray fake 80 percent blending.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	121587 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	godray fake 100.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	121588
    Michael

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    This is excellent Michael, thanks for sharing.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Oh boy, this is some nice stuff you are sharing, Michael. Glad you got your computer fixed.

Looking forward to all else you might share. Ha, I'll even ask for one: got a scene to share?
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Oh boy, this is some nice stuff you are sharing, Michael. Glad you got your computer fixed.

Looking forward to all else you might share. Ha, I'll even ask for one: got a scene to share?
    Hi Robert!
    Im just sharing some screencaps and descriptions for now, and if you create the scenefiles later for yourself, it will be your work and your pride
    Feel free to ask anything you like about it, if you stumble on obstacles in the process, keep in mind that it isnīt all about understand the particles and hypervoxels solely, you need to
    check the real world and study clouds etc, and it helps having an artistic eye too, if not..it will be much harder, hypervoxels and particles is only your tool brushes.

I have some more descriptions to explain and share later on, these things takes time to tweak though, and my awake hours went long over 16 hours causing me to postpone the natural day rythm unfortunatly, so I might need to give it a rest for a while and go out for a walk and study the real clouds a little more.

Michael

very nice..

Indeed. Interesting tests. Your results look more like Helios' clouds than to Vue/Ozone's clouds.

mainly with the blur trick...

Gerardo

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Indeed. Interesting tests. Your results look more like Helios' clouds than to Vue/Ozone's clouds.

mainly with the blur trick...

Gerardo
    yeah you know, the shadow and lighting of voxels arent that bad, if you know how to delicatly tweak and and adjust shadow strength, I usually go for a very low shadow setting, sometimes as little as 0,5-2 depending on thickness,opacity and density, if you raise opacity you block out light, lower means more penetration, same with thickness etc, if one learns how to combine all those settings and balance it, you can get very far with it, also a matter of slight ambient light sometimes.

the helios cloud on the right you refer to has the new subvapor scattering algoritms to make it softer and more full in volume as well.
    I hope there will be a demo available that can work with a ple version..I just got to try it out.
    I do hope though that that feature is controllable, I would like to tweak the scattering to be not as full but not as flat as the first image.
    I think modo also has some sort of rayleigh forward scattering control with more light penetration control..
    Houdini has itīs light propagation control.

textured shadows can also help with that in voxels, but I rarely use them, they can give fuller volume textures but it can also give to much texture that means the overall volume look getīs destroyed...that is because the texture itself is based on a per point/particle basism, so sometimes you can sort of fake it out by not having to much shadow and also raise ambience lighting in the voxels so the texture shadow donīt get too defined.

So the look of the image to the right is doable in terms of getting more fuller volume and softer, but it would mean it also adapts the texture per point basis as mentioned
    and it might not always look good, in helios the cloud density is purely procedural on a cloud volume..not based on a particle spherical size..thus it might look better.

we have a couple of major issues with hypervoxels...
    the falloff isnīt working, donīt think it ever has? strange though...it works if you use the procedural editor hack and apply hypertextures there, from there the falloff
    works..but then again itīs a pain to tweak since that node hack do not update in viper or VPR.

the thickness texture channel do not respond to any local density gradients, so softening has to be done with dissolve..but neither gives a really good smooth edge..
    for that we need a density curve in either density channel or maybe a curve controller in smooth and thickness channels.

Then itīs a matter of the actual hypertexture itself....it goes out in a spherical pattern build up for the procedural texture... and sometimes that gives very hard cutoff edges...this is known also in other software and I think Helios has a new solution to that..even though the metaclouds worked decently.

Michael

Some very nice results! In addition to updating Hypervoxels, a true physical sky with settings for turbidity, ground albedo, etc... would be most welcome.

http://www.amaanakram.com/?page_id=290
    Gary Chike

Quote Originally Posted by chikega View Post
    Some very nice results! In addition to updating Hypervoxels, a true physical sky with settings for turbidity, ground albedo, etc... would be most welcome.

ahh..you mean a full volumetric atmosphere? that I want to...dpont sunsky isnīt there...at least not to match atmospheric phenomena in the same way, and as I understand it, denis donīt have the resources to work on such things, so not even a new suntype that is volumetric..then again I would think it must have a volumetric fog layer, not adapting a volumetric handler to the light itself, it would be wonky to get true sun scale settings otherwise...so something like what ogo taiki has when setting fog-layer, but easier to use...faster and with a spectral sky atmosphere..not that mess of
    filters and settings for the sky as it is in ogo taiki.

I have some fears though that we will not see anything of some improvements on this at all for lightwave 12...just a hunch...I suspect they will focus on other things.

Michael

Impressive test Michael!

I would like to see a check option to make the 3d texture as one entity, and not per particle sphere boundary, I mean you have a cloud made of particles, an each one has his size and fall off, but it repeat the 3d texture in each particle and make a pattern, so, and option like "blend volume particles" will be cool.

I don't know if I made my self clear!

greetings, David
    David Agüero - freelance 3D generalist & concept design
    Modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, animation
    www.davidaguero.com.ar
    vimeo channel
    Free Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by chikega View Post

DP Sunsky is a true physical sky with settings for turbidity, backscattered light, aerosol, ozone, water vapor, etc. Last sunsky model have also high atmospheric turbidity for much more realistic sunsets and an "Albedo" ground influence. We have also Sunsky Atmosphere, to add there sun flare in the image (varying with angle of view, sun position, Mie scattering, Rayleigh scattering, Light Inscatter, Light Attenuation...). Both models in DP Sunsky are based in the same models for Arnold (the native) Hosek&Wilkie, which has more artist-friendly (read simple) parameters and more realistic solar disc with the limb darkening effect. And the Preetham model (same model the plugin you have linked is based on). Also, wavelengths in DP Sunsky (Preetham sky) are integrated from 380nm to 780nm at 5nm intervals, using CIE 2-degree observer luminance functions, which is a more accurate color reproduction than the plugin you have linked for Arnold. And similar thing for Hosek&Wilkie model in DP Sunsky. Moreover, DP Sunsky is the only physical sky solution that provides adapted colors to display (none of those models for Arnold, Vray, MentalRay or even Vue have this proper correction). And even more, we have there, calculations in scene-referred color spaces like ACE (from AMPAS) and RIMM (from ICC). If you ask me, DP Sunsky is much much better.

Gerardo

I have been getting some good clouds and some rolling smoke out of HVs.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast