Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypervoxels moving clouds with Dpont sunsky-Revisit part2.

Hypervoxels moving clouds with Dpont sunsky-Revisit part2.

Well...since I got my desktop up an running now, and springtime is here now in sweden..which means not only constant grey sky coverage, but in fact some of the more interesting cloud formations when the air starts to warm up and clouds forming..I felt inspired to get back to testing hypervoxels again.

Itīs not the best or perfect solution, but I sort of like to fiddle with it..rather than skytracer..the other plugin stuff is additional cost for ozone etc...and hdr animated photos isnīt what I want here, I want to control Everything from shadows casts on the ground, to the speed of clouds, fluctuation, cloud shadow density and forming,light interaction and angles etc...so it is the painful long rendertime approach
    Skytracer is out of the question, general sky looks worse than dpons sky, the clouds are not fully volumetric and canīt cast shadows etc, so please drop that and invest in a fog environment compatible with
    sunsky and a true volumetric sun, the sunsky sunlight and native lightwave domelights canīt produce that, and the only other option is distant or point lights ..but it isnīt good enough.

the video sample was completly VPR draft mode rendered, thus this clip shows some stuttering, which I canīt tell the cause of, either the vpr fps setting or some other refinement settings? this is of course not how you should render out in the end, but render to tga or png for example.

VPR provided the rendered sequence at aprox 46 seconds or something, while a final render reached 7 minutes with radiosity too, so I would have needed to render over the whole day or more for the whole sequence, but I wonīt be doing that until I am satisfied ..still have a lot to work on if I am up too it that is.

You can check either on vimeo or youtube, I think the quality is better on vimeo though, due to the immense time needed for rendering animated clips with volumetrics, the clip is as usal ..too short if you ask for more, please sponsor me with a renderfarm or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3i7v1b7kSQ

- - - Updated - - -

Description...
    well...here we go again, more cloud testing with particles and hypervoxels, I have to mention that this was only a
    VPR draft renderer ..otherwise it would have taking to long time for initial testing, the VPR makes it at aprox 46 seconds per frame, 5000 particles, hypervoxels,fog.
    a final render would probably take around 7 minutes, but that also with radiosity.

This draft vpr render has some stuttering due to vpr inefficiency when refining or the vpr fps settings, and it also has some flickerings due to local density I think, but I wanted that to smooth out hypervoxels a little.
    The quality of the hypervoxels is medium, good and even very good would make it better of course, but also way longer to render.

particles ar moving at 35 meters per second (a little to fast here for my taste) in the particles velocity motion... the hypertexture is turbulence, and the hypertexture effect is velocity translate, that gives a fluctuation and a transform of the texture/cloud, but I do recognize that it isnīt good enough, since that is based on each particle.
    Instead I would also need to complement that with some changing of the birth rate texture I have in the particles birth rate tab, thatīs where the overall particle density is set.
    No post processing in the clip was done.
    the clip and the images differs, due to no radiosity in the clip (darker ground shadows) I could also have used a domelight/skylight instead.
    the noise in the clip is also evident on the ground due to vpr not refining good enough in draft mode.

and hereīs some settings..
    No birth rate textures gives no holes in the clouds, but you would rather have it the other way around...mostly. second image is without the birth rate texture that controls the overal particle/cloud density.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot029.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	984.2 KB 
ID:	121559 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot028 no birthrate texture.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	121560 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot025final render vs VPR.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	928.4 KB 
ID:	121561

Ohh..I actually posted this in the wrong section, if chuck sees this, please feel free to move it to the lightwave general tips and tricks section.

I've not read through the entire post but I looked at the youtube link and on my iphone it looks really good, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I've not read through the entire post but I looked at the youtube link and on my iphone it looks really good, great work.
    wow..and thatīs on a small iphone and with stuttering frames from vpr and youtube poor quality,and me not optimizing the clip either for youtube, thatīs good to know, I might actually do a proper render then later on.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'll check it out at work tomorrow with my regular computer and maybe I'll take everything back then.

Great tips!
    Subscribed!

Really nice feeling in those. Well done. I'll have to try to figure out what you're doing through the settings images, 'cuz I just gotta know!
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Nice work. Many thanks for sharing the settings !

I didn't think it was possible to get clouds to look this good with LW alone. Already looking awesome, keep us posted.

Checked the Vimeo clip on a real screen today and it still looks really good.

the way the procedural moves through the volume is a dead give-away and an indication of the limitations of the process but for all that it looks pretty amazing and way better than I can manage

Iīm a little bit surprised that it is possible to do this in LW. I Think it could be a nice alternative to other solutions. But Iīm not really sure if it looks that nice in hd. Also the rendertime would be probably a bit high in 1920x1080. But still very good!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    the way the procedural moves through the volume is a dead give-away and an indication of the limitations of the process but for all that it looks pretty amazing and way better than I can manage
    well youré right and wrong, the procedural donīt move through the volume properly I think that is actually what you ment, itīs the hypertexture effect only on a per point voxel..but you are also right
    so yes that is what I mentioned in the description of how the velocity hypertexture effect affects it on a per point voxel, and not through the whole volume, I could test with world coordinates...but I donīt think that looks good, the fluctation/evaporation effect needs to be done more in the overall cloud density, and for such I would have to animate the particle birth rate density by moving that texture a little, but havenīt come that far yet.

If hypervoxels in the future could use very large planes and implemented on a per object basis and still having the option to use a velocity translate effect when setting cloud movement speed, that would be the way to goo, sort of similar to how ozone does it, but with infinite procedural volumetric cloud planes, equally with ogo taiki you have infinite procedural volumetric cloud planes, but with ogo taiki you donīt have a natural control so to speak, you have to animate the cloud density texture for it or scale it, unfortunatly ogo taiki wonīt work with 64 as I know of, and is so messy to set up from scratch and the quality is hard to get right too, and if you do...long long rendertimes.

I could tune down the hypertexture effect speed, if that might look better, initial speed testing was to funny..had it on too much and it just flickered all over the place, the effect here should only be a small amount of speed I think, and
    as I mentioned before I would need to move the actual birth rate texture in y axis or maybe scaling it, or using envelopes or other animatable procedurals, but this must be done delicatly and not too much.
    Another way I would like to try out some time, a simple fluid simulation rendered in top view or front view ortho, then use that as density distributor and to drive the motion for the hypervoxels particles later on, so I get the movement simulated from fluids, but I can get all the shadow/lighting and hypertexture noise from hypervoxels.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Svenart View Post
    Iīm a little bit surprised that it is possible to do this in LW. I Think it could be a nice alternative to other solutions. But Iīm not really sure if it looks that nice in hd. Also the rendertime would be probably a bit high in 1920x1080. But still very good!
    If the Lightwave group checkīs all my threads about how I think hypervoxels need to be improved, and preferably actually can implement it, we can expect to see much more realism, even though I think I can push this some steps more to realism.

Rendertimes will probably be very long in any application doing volumetrics, that resolution of 856x492 was around a little over 7 minutes..With radiosity..which you could exclude and use some occlusion instead, cam AA at
    2x2 a little to low for use with objects, instanced grass etc.

If I were to throw in a dense subdiv mesh for terrain, and instances for trees..all that needs freezing and AA so ..long rendering times, and you just canīt expect to pull any longer animation frames out of it with one single home computer as I have.

some small stretching amount, using the right particle size, and in this case very large value of random scale, you donīt see uniform scaled puffs in real clouds that often..so that is one of the tricks, thou if we had a procedural cloud plane implemented, you can skip such tricks and only rely on the texture itself.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast