Thread: Help with rendering animation with Octane Render plug in

Help with rendering animation with Octane Render plug in

I recently got the Octane Render plug in for LW. Can anybody tell me, or direct me to a video that shows "the quick and dirty" or 'super simplified" way to render, and properly save a animation in Octane Render and Layout. I looked over the Octane manual and didn't find anything on how to render animations and can't find anything on the web or in forums.

I have made several attempts at rendering out a simple animation scene with one method, but after the first frame renders in Octane it crashes Layout, not sure if I am setting it up correctly. I also have tried previous version of Layout and of the plug in, but still cant figure it out, and I still get crashes. Thanks.

I am currently using these versions:
    -Layout: 11.6.1 & 11.6.2
    -Octane Plug in: 1.20.6 & 1.50.0
    Last edited by NavinJohnson; 04-21-2014 at 06:10 AM.

I got the same problems, so I only render imagesequences and convert them into avi using virtualdub. Maybe Itīs just not possible to render Aviīs directly with octane.

Isn't advisable to render to animation formats, period, no matter what renderer. Preferred method is always to render to image sequence. Attempting to go directly to a video codec is riddled with issues and, if the animation Borks somewhere along the line, you're starting over from scratch. With an image sequence, you can pick up where the animation stopped or went awry or you can re-render individual frames and insert them if some need re-doing for one reason or another. Once you have the sequence, then compile it into a movie file.
    Last edited by spherical; 04-21-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Bad workflow idea. If it crashes during rendering, the whole anim is lost. (Not for all formats, but still...)

Do stills and compile into an animation.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Rendering animations with Octane is exactly the same as without. Once you have your animation setup, and preferred saving out method (I kind of agree with everyone else about rendering image sequences), and you have Octane enabled, hit F10 the same is normal. If it crashes, try the same with a non Octane animation. If you are sure that it's only crashing out with Octane, I would post over on the OTOY forms where you'll get JuanJo directly (he's the plugin developer)

I'm going to go one step further with the "rendering animations is a bad idea" to say that effectively nobody in the industry will ever render an AVI or MOV out of any animation package. It's nice that they put the functionality in, but I've never seen it done anywhere for any reason... so get used to the method of rendering to frames then assembling them later (in this case, you can use Lightwave to make the movie file, just put the frames in as a background image sequence and render it from there).

Does Octane work when you render just frames?
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Thanks everybody for your help. Yes "rendering the frames individually" worked, and was I able to animate the sequence. Problem solved.

Cool.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain