Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by BokadCastle View Post
    Hi Ivan,
    I looked at some samples of dynamics we've been given.

It looks like an object can be progressively fractured to me.

look at _
    ?:\LightWave_11.5_Content\Bullet_Dynamics\Forces\T ower\Scenes

Effector core??

btw you're doing a great job - my intention is to 'add to' not 'take away'.
    Cheers.

yes..that is just an effector item type to showcase and visually give feedback to the null reference, so the breaker object is just a null without any dynamics, but used as position in space reference for a gradient set in glue strength, the glue strenght is at itīs core set to a value of 0% in the gradient, that means thereīs nothing holding the structure in terms of glue, and at the end of the gradient there is full glue.

And the effector item is only there for visual feedback on how you have set the gradient...which is set at a full glue at 2.5 m, and the effector is visually set to such radius, but all that needs to manually be set up, I would whish we could have a direct reference object that both affects the size and gives visual feedback in one go when changing distance or radius.

Michael

Spot on Guys...Thats exactly the tutorial Im in the middle of making....should have it up today.

Its literally based off the tutorial in the Lightwave manual.

I have setup some other examples as well, not just using fractured pieces...also adding a ridged body sphere to smash bits not just melt the glue.

"(haven't examined, buttttttttt......) Can't gradients take Weight Maps as one of their inputs?" Your right, Maybe we can use a null set to Object distance with gradient for glue strength and only effect the weighted area...Damn it!!! Back to the drawing board for more testing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BulletGlueGradient.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	653.9 KB 
ID:	121750
    Last edited by Ivan_B; 05-04-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Be careful, you might learn something.

Multimedia & Tutorial channel
    Showreel - 2013

Hey All,

Thanks again for the kind words! I dont take credit for working out all this stuff, I just gather information from everywhere I can and try and put it together in a easy to understand way (I hope)

Here's the tutorial on Controlling Destruction with Bullet dynamics...I might have mucked up a little with some dimensions, but you'll get the idea.

Showreel - 2013

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_B View Post
    Hey All,

Here's the tutorial on Controlling Destruction with Bullet dynamics.
    Well done Ivan. Thanks.

Again..thanks Ivan for taking the time and recording these nice bullet tips.

some reflections from me...
    regarding using reference nulls as the releaser of glued pieces, It is good to have that option and to know how that works, but I think itīs a little tedious workflow to use in cases where you would like to have multi impact or multi regions that breaks at different stages.

For instance as you showcase, you simply just canīt clone one null that is already set up, you have to go in to the glue strength parameters and add a new gradient or copy paste and re-direct every null to the corresponding object null distance...not of an issue maybe if you just have one or two references you need.

I was thinking about this since I wondered if this could be used with my own experiments of using particles and fx linking the nulls, but that wouldnīt be practical, the other issue of using only reference to release the glue, that is of course you just get the object to fall down, and not inherit any dynamic impact motion, which in some cases might not look good ...but you showcased an alternativ of actually also parent a kinematic sphere...using a reference object like this is great for doing an earth quake collaps of the ground though, suggestion would be to create fracture points in modeler based on a curve..then send that curve to layout as a path and have the null follow it and release the glue...or you could just fracture the whole ground and just move the null in desired path, but it takes much more calculation to fracture it all.
    The null reference release glue technique, is suitable for collapsing structures without a dynamic impact motion.

I think I rather prefer to simply add a null and make it kinematic, and instead raise the glue strength and set the collision margin very low, so the null functions as a kinematic object without any real geometry, so hopefully I wonīt need extra geometry when I particle fx link my kinematic null for use with particle collision and smashing the objects to pieces.

If I would like to use a kinematic null and direct and change my impact region, I would suggest to use the "move path tool" so you can have your null moved in time but for instance change the whole path with that, and I would suggest to map "enable dynamics" to a shortcut..so before you move the path turn it off ..then turn it on when you have changed it.
    And simply cloning the null will give you a destruction kinematic object that needs no further set up than to actually direct the impact region.

Just some tips.

Michael

Just some additional feedback..

setting up a single null as kinematic..with a -1 collision margin works decently, further on you can simply fx link that to a particle emitter and have the emitter shoot particles that collides with bullet objects and breaks it, you could of course use real objects too ..but it will be denser with geometry...and in somecases you actually want real geometry, you could fx link rigid bodies too.

I was testing another idea, using Dpontīs particle paint procedural to actually paint the particle impacts on the surface of an object, thus you could probably bake all the particle impact points where it is painted by particle paint..in to a texture, and you will be able to get all impact regions from the particles regardless of when they occour in the timeline, then load back to modeler for making exact destruction around that textured region..similar to what I mentioned before in using a saved fbx scene with dummy geometry at impact regions.

I have found particle paint behaving a little odd though, and not getting the exact markings from where the particle hits..so that I have to figure out.

Michael

Thanks again People!

Hey prometheus, the idea for the video was to show the foundations of this setup, from that people can experiment different types of setups for all sorts of different results like yourself. I am going to try the fxlinker emitter setup to see if I can get it to work, cos there is no way to use a particle emitter to fire rigid bodies around, just doesn't work....But in saying all this, Bullet is useless for anything other than blowing stuff up.

I did some experimentation to see if I could make a road with a crack running down it and control that crack, but much like the building, everything wobbles before you start unglueing with nulls etc, which makes it completely useless, I wish the LW guys would work on it so the damn object stays completely still until acted upon (Not talking about "Start sleeping") or that only the area acted on reacts.. too much tweaking, too many work arounds, expensive plugins like chronosculpt etc etc...useless for production (for me anyway).

Hopefully they'll make it work like the 3Dmax plugin Rayfire...not holding my breath.

Showreel - 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_B View Post
    Thanks again People!

Hey prometheus, the idea for the video was to show the foundations of this setup, from that people can experiment different types of setups for all sorts of different results like yourself. I am going to try the fxlinker emitter setup to see if I can get it to work, cos there is no way to use a particle emitter to fire rigid bodies around, just doesn't work....But in saying all this, Bullet is useless for anything other than blowing stuff up.

I did some experimentation to see if I could make a road with a crack running down it and control that crack, but much like the building, everything wobbles before you start unglueing with nulls etc, which makes it completely useless, I wish the LW guys would work on it so the damn object stays completely still until acted upon (Not talking about "Start sleeping") or that only the area acted on reacts.. too much tweaking, too many work arounds, expensive plugins like chronosculpt etc etc...useless for production (for me anyway).

Hopefully they'll make it work like the 3Dmax plugin Rayfire...not holding my breath.
    well..yes and no...rigid bodies work to link to particlefx, but not as an good option and that is what you mean I suppose? the rigid bodies has their own weight and other properties that isnīt suitable to match the particles velocity, since it takes on itīs own motion and only uses the particle velocity as a trigger motion, kinematic object works better... or just use a null as kinematic, I set the collision margin to something aroun-1 to get a more match to when the kinematic body impacts...so particle fx cloning a single null which are kinematic should work nicely.

I will take a look at the "road crack" later, and yes...I think chronoscultp If it was possible, Should have made it into lightwave...thus combining the sales and also marketing Lightwave itself with it,(making lightwave itself more attractive and getting other studios to use that more too) but that was their decision and not mine and I have no Idea on how it could have been implemented at this stage nor how it will help get more sales to the lightwave team.
    itīs a balancing act maybe, we might of course say that ..get it inside of lightwave, and we pay a little extra for it, but then it might not be what other studios need..a single module might be better for them...and we can always purchase the chronosculpt offside so to speak, I am mixed up about chronosculpt...but I know to little about all the reasons behind it really, though they could make it available for lightwave users cheaper than the standalone..thus it might make more sense to actually also buy lightwave so you get more buck for the money.

Michael

More a time lapse than a tutorial...still might be useful

ps there's a couple LW12 feature requests as well:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2014/...ime-lapse.html

I am new since yesterday to Lightwave (bought it yesterday that is) so I just subscribe to your youtube channel

Thank you

Hey People,

Got a new tutorial, with a few more to come....

This new tute is on UV Mapping using ABF UV Unwrap along with two other PLG Uv tools, it goes for 50 mins split into 4 videos, covering the basics of uving, then moving onto slightly more complex objects, then finally setting up the uv in photoshop.

Video Part 1: http://youtu.be/g3cNxgNvYxU
    Video Part 2: http://youtu.be/hr6E8AwrB8g
    Video Part 3: http://youtu.be/BvvifMBkvPM
    Video Part 4: http://youtu.be/qhR5jOw1VoE

Hope they help
    Last edited by Ivan_B; 09-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Showreel - 2013

Hi Ivan, thank you very much for the tutorial. It's very well explained and narrated. I'm not through yet but so far perfect for me! Cheers ...and desperately hoping for an environment tutorial from you one day ;-) Don't mind if it'll be lenghty and commercial.

Your welcome Marander!!! I have been considering making a tute on some environment stuff showing the whole process from, matte paintings to incorporating 3d into the scene, rendering it out and compositing it...something like that. Maybe you and others can suggest what you would like to see, and Ill see if I can make it.

Anyway...I have another tutorial on "Compositing Buffer export" render passes...two part video.

Sorry people...re uploading better quality single video.

I'm currently working on another tute thats all about camera mapping / front projection.
    Last edited by Ivan_B; 09-18-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Showreel - 2013

haven't had the time to watch them just yet, but thank you...

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

awesome videos - ivan - waiting for your next tutorials...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast