Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barcelona chair

Barcelona chair

Hello,

I'm showing my barcelona chair & ottoman models. I was trying to make a nice matte red leather texture, maybe it need some more adjustment to be perfect, but I'm pretty satisfied of the models.

If you have some tips about a good way to make leather texture...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barcelona-chair+ottoman-004a.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	121511
    http://www.soap3d.com

email:
    [email protected]

Available for freelance!!

Pretty render! Nice work on the leather too.

Thanks bazsa73, here's a new render, the light effect is better with the floor and the color at the back I think.

Name:	barcelona-chair+ottoman-009.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	121516

email:
    [email protected]

Did you use a material node for the leather or was it just using the normal layers stack?

I'm using the normal layers stack.

email:
    [email protected]

just the ottoman to see closer the texture

Name:	barcelona-ottoman-003.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	121524

email:
    [email protected]

Looks nice. Try out the Delta material node and plug your various texture maps into it, see if it looks any better, I had good results using it for leather, it's worth comparing both for future reference.

I'm not very familiar with nodes can you show me how you are using the delta node?

email:
    [email protected]

The only reason I use them is because they calculate a Fresnel based on the reflective values, and are supposed to be energy conserving, so it's a way of taking some of the guess work out of setting up a surface (supposedly).

Name:	delta node.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	121541

In this example the texture maps were melded into a single image that handle multiple different surface types on the same object, leather being one of them, so that's why the sample ball isn't showing just leather. The actual Delta node itself when opened has a specular and roughness value, specular being reflective and roughness being glossiness. There's also a reflection blur check box in the advanced tab which will correspond to the roughness setting.

If your only using a bump or normal map and no diffuse or reflection maps, then you just plug that into the correct input and then play with the specular and roughness.

Name:	render030b.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	494.5 KB 
ID:	121542

I should add that there's nothing wrong with your surface, it looks great.

I'm building my scene and I'm showing the result of the render. The other picture is what I want to achieve for the lighting mood.

I have 2 area lights... on the left 1 area light at 300% inverse distance, on the right area light 30% no shoadow, no specularity. I don't know if it's a matter of texture or if I need to put more lights, but the result is not satisfying me.

Name:	10b.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	577.4 KB 
ID:	121550

Name:	c82b07c826b0dd29509299a397a84390.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	954.9 KB 
ID:	121551

email:
    [email protected]

DJ you're workflow is not quite right with regards to Delta.. 2 things you must remember about Delta is that it is energy conserving, but it doesn't add the Fresnel for you... and it's Specular is somewhat weak (This is a LW wide issue) Which is why I use Material tweaker to boost it, as shown in my screenshot.

I've shown my basic workflow for my leather, and this works for most plastics. Low facing angle, high glancing angle, subtly tweaked surface colour and a normal map.

I recently saw a really great article on how they fake PBRT in a computer game. Now while the whole cubic map reflection thing is somewhat of a fake, that we don't really need to faff on about, the way they handle surfacing is really neat, and very similar to what I do... Watch the videos, they are really cool, and explain the process.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/gam...-me-rendering/

Basically put you need 4 mapping types, to handle most non-sss materials...

1) albedo colour - your colour textures
    2) Specular - this is your 'facing' specular, glancing is really always white (or just below)
    3) roughness - your glossinness value. Delta pairs spec and reflection blur so they work roughly the same, all you need to do is boost the spec with DB&W material tweaker
    4) Normal map - as normal

You can also have a 'reflection colour' texture if you have coloured metals, such as gold or copper.

If you want to do an object with a single set of textures for the whole object, but recreating many different surface types, then this is the way to go. As they explain in the videos it's slightly counter-intuitive, but it's based on sound physically based concepts, and will recreate much closer to realistic results than 'classic' LW surfacing...

Lighting is another issue of course. You should be using either environmental lighting, or inverse squared falloff lights. your luminous objects do need to be pretty powerful (my lumigons in the above scene are 900% bright) to get the kick in reflection and to light the object. Area lights would work too, as I boosted the spec, to 5k in this case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chair_leather.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	121564  
    Last edited by Tobian; 04-21-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Egads you're right Tobian, I just did a test on both Delta and Conductor and they don't automatically create a fresnel, I was under the impression they did this somehow under the hood, now I ask myself what's the point of using them if they don't do that? So we're back to the point of having to add fresnel into the specular channel and tweaking, hardly a time saver. Thank god for DB&W's Schlicks Aproximation node. Sorry for misleading on this issue, I'm incredibly disappointed to discover this, I have really lost my faith in these material nodes now.

I've never fully switched to Node based materials as I always find them disappointing with workarounds that give my arse a sore head.
    Mosty of the examples I've seen using complex trees can be matched incredibly simply with layered materials. I only really use nodes for dispersion effects that are impossible otherwise.

For a long time, I thought it was just resistance to change on my part but I'm now confidently old fashioned
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

I'm old fashioned too, I'm using layered materials and I don't feel comfortable when I play with nodes.

Here's a new render with several adjustments. The leather is again my major issue to make...

Name:	17a.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	819.1 KB 
ID:	121572

email:
    [email protected]

Yeah I understand, but I have a screenshot right there which shows you how I do my materials... RIGHT THERE /\ Down DB&W free node pack and see if you can recreate it, it's simples!

My surfaces are for the most part quite simple.. add up the sum of all the textures you have and compare them to my nodes. Also notice everything is tied together, so spec affects reflection, the scale of the textures are linked etc.

'classic' LW surfaces are fine, but they break under specific lighting scenarios, which is why systems like Delta are great. and DJ I get what you mean but I find the fact the Delta works like this to be useful. It's also why i asked michael to make the Schlicks approximation and Material tweaker, as it allows me to make most materials out of Delta and Dielectric, that I need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast