Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Res Textures

High Res Textures

Can someone point me in the right direction for a good source for High resolution wood textures or images to use for furniture and cabinets?
    They're not that easy to find. Unless I'm looking for the wrong thing.

thanks!

Powersolo
    "Play nice!"

What's hi res to you?
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

I don't know. Maybe 5000 x 5000? I would just like to find some decent wood images I can use for furniture.
    maybe it's best I photograph my own?

thanks,
    "Play nice!"

Photo your own? I won't say no to that.
    5K x 5K.... That is pretty big. Apart from the needle in a haystack Google "large" image search, and google "hi res" search, I can't think of anything specific, sorry.
    But I'll keep thinking 'cuz I love the Winston-Salem area!!!!
    Last edited by JoePoe; 04-14-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Cgtextures not working for you? Just sign up to register and get 15 mbs of images per session. The really large textures you have to sign up as a premium member ($) but the lower sized ones can still be pretty big.

yeah..cg textures might have some...for free, otherwise for high quality if you can pay for it, maybe http://www.arroway-textures.com/en/products/wood-3

hereīs some free ones, might need to log in for some of them, and some might not have enough resolution, but there are different sets...
    http://www.tutorialchip.com/freebies...wood-textures/

textures are prefered, but you might wanīt to check procedurals, though they might not always be onpar with true textures, you donīt have to worry about resolution though, only render time since procedurals often take longer to render, and
    getting the settings right as you want them, simbiont shader (free plugin for lightwave) itīs tricky to install use if you do not know how though...so if you choose to test you would probably need to shout out here.
    http://www.darksim.com/Repository/tx_Wood/

hereīs a old render I did some years ago with native lightwave procedurals, modeled in lightwave and rendered with procedurals only for the wood... maybe not adaptable for some wood, and if I had the simbiont shaders at that time..I think it could have looked better, but might work for other stuff, but as mentioned..textures are prefered, thereīs always a scale or repeat issue when using textures on some specific area, so you have to be careful about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skåp mix 2.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	121455

That's some pretty good procedural wood prometheus.

Quote Originally Posted by randysolo View Post
    I don't know. Maybe 5000 x 5000? I would just like to find some decent wood images I can use for furniture.
    maybe it's best I photograph my own?

thanks,
    Arroway Textures sound like what you're seeking. Not cheap, can be resource-hungry, but absolutely pro quality, and their species catalog is quite extensive as well. Wood Two has some beautiful species (f.e. look at Ebony & Zebrano in the AJAX catalog).
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-16-2014 at 03:16 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

You can use "Genetica" either starting from 1 or more photos and/or mixing with the procedurals. The maximum resolution of the Pro version is 6000 X 6000.

If you prefer a free solution there is a (old but effective) version dedicated to the textures of wood : "Wood Workshop".

http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post
    You can use "Genetica" either starting from 1 or more photos and/or mixing with the procedurals. The maximum resolution of the Pro version is 6000 X 6000.

If you prefer a free solution there is a (old but effective) version dedicated to the textures of wood : "Wood Workshop".

Ah...I recall that wood workshop and installed and tested it some years ago, was about to use it for some product shots, but I found my own procedural mix looking more true to how the original locker doors in wood actually looked like.
    need to check back to that again thou or genetica...some day.

Michael

As much as I can appreciate prometheus's procedural wood texture that he was able to muster, there is no substitute for photos of real wood for your furniture or flooring to be used in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    As much as I can appreciate prometheus's procedural wood texture that he was able to muster, there is no substitute for photos of real wood for your furniture or flooring to be used in 3D.
    ahh...well today I would probably be able to muster much better with procedural wood only, and different types, but what you say is very much valid anyway, if you can get hold of good high quality textures such as arroway wood, that is
    to be prefered I would say...
    They render faster, and by nature it is almost the real thing.might just be a little harder to apply, but if you know how to do it with uv mapping and editing the textures, thatīs the way.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Areyos Alektor View Post

I agree, Actually Genetica 4 Studio is capable of images @ 9000x9000

This jpg was converted in photoshop from a png file for file reduction for the forum. This texture is the basic preset no changes were made. Just to show how large an image can be generated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood-9000x9000.jpg 
Views:	11394 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	121545
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Silkrooster View Post
    This texture is the basic preset no changes were made. Just to show how large an image can be generated.
    Yep - and still doesn't look like wood. I've found some pretty good wood textures on CG Textures http://www.cgtextures.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast