Thread: 1080 60 vs 1080 30

1080 60 vs 1080 30

Since we upgraded our Speededit to the lastest update we are having issues with audio sync. When I bring in a clip shot with our Panasonic 150's at 1080 60, I have to put it on a timeline that's 1080 30 since that is all Speededit has to work with. It has never been an issue before but seems that the audio shifts a few frames once the clip is on the timeline. I can set my cameras to record at 1080 30 but I am wondering if this is a solution. Some clips we have shot prior at 1080 60 seem to sync fine but others will not sync properly. It's easy enough to shift the audio to sync up and it remains ok in the project once it's corrected but it's another step I would like to avoid.
    If it's taking you longer than an hour to watch 60 minutes...you need help

If you don't correct it, is it still off when you render it?

Which way does the sound go, early or late?

I don't know how to handle it in any case, but I have seen similar things and I am looking for a pattern, which will help open the door to finding a reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RayLarson View Post
    When I bring in a clip shot with our Panasonic 150's at 1080 60, I have to put it on a timeline that's 1080 30 since that is all Speededit has to work with.
    This is not completely accurate. SpeedEDIT does have a 1080i60 setting, it's just not a presented as a preset. When you start SpeeEDIT and are presented with it's recommended presets for starting a new project, at the bottom of the list is the 'Custom...' choice.

Clicking that allows you to configure your project settings as pertains to your needs. I posted a solution in a previous post regarding another matter here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1367789

The second paragraph is what you want to read, but you will have to tailor the 'NTSC 1080i 30' by changing the 'FPS' setting to 60. Keep 'Fielding Control' to 'interlaced' since the AG-HMC150PJ doesn't shoot in 1080p60.

I don't know if this will help with the audio drift but it couldn't hurt to try a new project with matching settings as your problem clip and seeing if you get the same problem.

However, I'd firstly try out Mutley's suggestion of a full render using your original project settings (NTSC 1080i 30) with your problem clips and seeing if the drifting audio appears in the final render. If so, you could give my suggestion a try.

How are you bringing the clips into the computer (and no, I don't mean into SpeedEDIT)?
    Are you:
    1. Trying to use a capture card?
    2. Using the software that came with the camera to copy the clips to the hard drive (recommended) and then bringing the clips into SpeedEDIT from the hard drive?
    3. Connecting the camera to the computer and using file explorer to copy the files over?
    4. Takiing the SDCard out of the camera, then putting it into the computer and dragging the files over to computer's hard drive?
    5. Like the above but not copying the files to the hard drive, but trying to edit directly from the SD card?

If any of these are applicable, which one are you using?

Let us know.

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 04-15-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thank you for all the great info. We are planning to create a custom project, as you suggested for 1080 60I today. As for how we import the files, we use the computer and copy them to the directory we will use for the project directly from the SD card. Can you explain your term "final render." We usually do our edit directly on the HD timeline and make a MPEG2 file for SD DVD's or other file formats depending on the specific client we are working with. If I am understanding your instructions you want me to import a clip that is out of sync and render it out to see if the render is in or out of sync? Let me know and I will try that if that is what you're talking about.

Blog Entries
    Hi Ray,

Can you explain your term "final render."
    A final render would be the '..Mpeg2 file for SD DVD's or other file formats depending on the specific client..'. In other words, when you render the finished edited project.

If I am understanding your instructions you want me to import a clip that is out of sync and render it out to see if the render is in or out of sync? Let me know and I will try that if that is what you're talking about.
    Yes, that's exactly what Mutley and I mean.

Let us know your findings.

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 04-15-2014 at 11:45 AM.

First, I am having trouble making a custom project as I cannot input a name that denotes it as a 1080i 60 project, I also can't change the parameters of the 1080 30p file to make it a 1080i 60 project. Second, If I wait a few minutes after the clip is brought to the timeline, it seems to go back in sync by itself. It also works if I put a force render under the clip but it takes longer for some reason. Final render of an out of sync file is in sync.

Blog Entries
    You don't input any name. You just select from the 'Preset Name' drop down list 'NTSC 1080i 30', then change the 'FPS' setting to 60, the 'Preset Name' will change to 'Custom Format', then just click the 'OK' button.

Step by step:
    1. Start a new project. (File>New or CTRL+N)
    2. The 'Project Settings' window opens. Select 'NTSC 1080i 30' from the 'Preset Name' option.
    3. Locate the 'FPS' option and select '60' from it's drop down list.
    4. 'Preset Name' now says 'Custom Format'. Click 'OK'.

You have now created a new project with settings matching your clip.

Regarding syncing; I guess so long as you get the required result, sometimes how isn't really important when you're on a deadline.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 04-15-2014 at 12:05 PM.