Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Modo 801 sneak preview on 24 April

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    You're the only person I've ever heard speak of modo having such a reputation. I've heard plenty of folks refer to Lightwave (even in v11.5+ timeframes) as substantially less stable, day-to-day, than modo 701 -- and that's definitely been my own experience, as well.
    LW (on mac) here is the most stable tool in the box. only rare crashes are related to VPR in situations where scene objects are changed or edited in modeler. but that occurs maybe once every 8-12 h of heavy use, whereas modo is generally (601, 701, 801...) crashing a few times an h if you are unlucky.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

I remember an old thread in modo forums in the product support area titled "Reporting modo crashes under Windows" and it started like this:
    "In the rare circumstances when modo crashes, it would be very useful to submit the crash information through the Windows Error Reporting system.....".

But the funny thing was the answer of a modo user:

"I know what its like to develop complex software. Believe me. I understand the issues.
    But honestly, "rare circumstances" where it crashes? Come on. Modo crashes like that's its main function or something. In our experience, we cannot go 15 minutes without it crashing (often less!). Multiple computers, different scenes. It's just ridiculous."

In fact, the thread is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanze View Post
    But honestly, "rare circumstances" where it crashes? Come on. Modo crashes like that's its main function or something.
    That's funny.

Even though modo numbers is no where near AD its still good that they're trying to put some effort in localizing modo for a very huge local cg market. Advertising has always been the strength of Lux.

I like the feature here with retargetting mocap with pickwip style interface around 5 min mark. I suggested this to Rebelhill for RH2 but I know lscript is limited. This would be a great addition to Nevronmtion when using different sources of mocap data.

Native lattice deformer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-LsR5C_Bw

Onionskinning seems to clicky. Havent tried onionskinning with ikboost yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIted-m-tWI

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Some people have skipped 801 because its buggy and seemed rushed.
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/di...t=87945&page=3
    another thread
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/di...t=80386&page=1
    Add to the steam version users reporting random crashes as well.

The thing with modo bugs, crashes, being unstable is that its random and not reproducable. Hard to avoid unlike other appz that have bugs that are reproducable, but not fixed but still avoidable since you know how it happens. Random crashes can catch a user offguard.
    Now with the shorter annual release cycle, multiple modo version to support, there's less time to bugfix.
    I compare blender and cinema4d and those two are pretty stable in comparison to modo.

Well Now I UNDERSTAND.... I am cursing the modo team for releasing itīs 15 day trial which I simply feel is too short for evaluating it properly, but now it all makes sense, during 15 days of trial I will not experience so many crashes
    In fact..I have had non crashes during modo time, since it hasnīt gotten to the install process yet, they might be better of not giving away a longer trial demo if it crashes so often in a lot of circumstances, the shorter time
    you have to test it, less likely you run in to crashing issues.

Michael

Yeah that one I don't understand why they have a paid trial version. When did they start that?
    Maybe its to offset the cost of supporting multiple modo versions from win, mac, linux and modo steam edition, with its own unique cost of development.
    Publishing titles to steam is a lot of work believe me I know and that needs to be paid somehow. Supporting the steam edition is another platform that eats resources and money. Its why some companies just send out a non-steam version of their software even if you bought it from steam. Its a lot of bugs to fix that can sometimes be caused by the steam client and its not worth it to fix because of the cost involved.
    Hope they don't let the steam edition stagnate. There hasn't been much activity lately.

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    That's funny.
    It wasn't that long ago (in release terms) that LW enjoyed a similar reputation. 7.x was terribly unstable for me and it stayed that way until late 9.x. Software quality varies, stop the presses!
    Inactive.

I remember LW 7 and LW 8 being crash prone for me but since 9 Id have to say that aside from a few persistant repeatable bugs LW has been remarkably stable overall for the last several years. If I were to make a list of bothersome things about LightWave, stability would be very low on that list.

hrm, I don't usually have problems with lightwave stability till I start adding lots of effects and layers of assets on top of each other. Then lightwave tells me "wtf are you doing" and leaves the room. I had similar issues with modo 601 even though I enjoyed not having to deal with missing rigging/mapping tools that are only in a separate program.

Even though maya is like cleaning up after a pet or children, it's pretty compliant even when you step all over her feet and use her as a coat rack. Maya does complain but stays put and you give her a cookie and she'll stop whining about the mess you made with her belongings. I have no idea what 2015 is like yet but 2014 was kinda nice ime.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 05-11-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

so ..while we are a little of topic maybe in terms of discussing lightwave stability, I felt 11.03 was quite stable, the 11.5 was way to unstable the most proned to be crashing, but it all got better again in 11.6.2..prebuilds...however 11.6.2 final shows some weird behavior and crashes a lot when working with procedural layers and changing the layers blending mode..that happens a lot.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    I'm very curious to see what you think, if you've come to any solid conclusions. It's a big decision for me.
    Well I was out of town Friday and didn't get back in till late, so I really didn't have to make the decision. I was leaning against upgrading anyway. I really didn't need it anyway as it was going to be for personal hobby purposes only. I use LW all day long at work (with some Modo too) so I really am not all that ambitious when it comes to my personal work. And seeing I work from home at least one day a week I keep my personal LW license current for that. I do think 801 is a slick release and Luxology/Foundry has their crap together with some great technology.

It seems the new snapping is the cause of most 801 problems. Probably this will be fixed in a service pack.

801 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is now out!

See here for change notes, and here for known issues with 801SP1. Plenty of fixes, and while SP1 doesn't fix everything, it's still pretty impressive how much they fixed in that short time.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910