Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modo 801 sneak preview on 24 April

Modo 801 sneak preview on 24 April

Are we near to see LW12 as well?

not before siggraph i think
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

The Foundry is on a roll lately. Interesting to see what I believe is the first full release since Luxology joined the Foundry. If they are developing it with the same focus as Nuke and their other high-end offerings, LW3DG has much to fear...

Don't expect LW12 anytime soon and not at Siggraph either. I've heard there's still going to be another update in the LW 11 series yet.

And the Foundry.... Autodesk Part 2.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 04-11-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Don't expect LW12 anytime soon and not at Siggraph either. I've heard there's still going to be another update in the LW 11 series yet.

To be honest hard to judge based on their behaviour so far, I'll just wait and see what will be the pricing model(For sure the price will go up, but The Foundry is aware that 3/4 Modo users are either hobbyists or freelancers that will just start whining after the price will jump even 5% ) so I'm kinda scared that they'll go Cinema route and split the app into "modules" or as they call it "Kits" who knows, time will tell, truth is that Modo is the cheapest app in their arsenal.

So, anyway, waiting for the info on pricing and let the folks test it for like a week or so, just to make sure all the Fking annoying bugs are gone(that's been introduced in 701 series, not to mention the older ones from 501 times - even tho I submitted like dozens of bug report, they were just ignored in most cases - but recently something changes and it seems that foundry gave them more QA resources....)

as for LW12, cannot wait to see what the guys at LW3D were upto.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    so I'm kinda scared that they'll go Cinema route and split the app into "modules" or as they call it "Kits" who knows, time will tell, truth is that Modo is the cheapest app in their arsenal.
    Actually, I wouldn't mind if they'd sell the modeling and UV part of modo separately. But that's just me, because right now, I'm always peeking at modo, but it's too expensive right now, and I wouldn't use any of the features except for the modeling and texturing tools.

I hope Modo 801 is innovative and a major advancement over 701. I want good options outside of Autodesk. I doubt LW12 will be out anytime soon as I'm sure the team know that LW12 really has to be a major leap from LW11.x to gain more customers and provide a brighter future for the package. Best to spend time developing 12 right while watching what the competition are doing. Hopefully there will be a few more patches and updates to 11.x in the meantime as hrgiger hints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wilde View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't mind if they'd sell the modeling and UV part of modo separately. But that's just me, because right now, I'm always peeking at modo, but it's too expensive right now, and I wouldn't use any of the features except for the modeling and texturing tools.
    They already do that in the Steam Edition of Modo.

I suspect we will probably hear something official about Lightwave 12 later this year.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Sounds to be a promising update for Modo, given the new acquisition. Last few releases have been very interesting. Looking forward what they have in store for us.

I'm looking more at a Modo purchase these days; rather than updating my LW. Modo seems to be focusing more and more (along with the Foundry) on game development these days. Much more than I can say for the LWG. It'll be there loss, as people are really waking up to what they could do with either UDK or Crytek; and Modo has always been more serious about working with Unity than LW has ever been. You can't say we haven't tried to push Rob and Crew (and Newtek earlier on) in the direction of supporting game artists before; they've just largely ignored that very LARGE industry.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

It's looking more and more that way.

To be fair, Nuke and Mari (but especially Nuke) are not the usual apps. So, I'm beginning to believe the high-end film and game developers might find use for these applications, when someone like a hobbyist will never be able to afford it. I wish the prices for Mari and Nuke were less, but I understand the technology is very cool and it's sort of understandable.

Modo might follow that point of market (like Nuke and Mari, etc.) and, if so, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post

"Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    It's looking more and more that way.

To be fair, Nuke and Mari (but especially Nuke) are not the usual apps. So, I'm beginning to believe the high-end film and game developers might find use for these applications, when someone like a hobbyist will never be able to afford it. I wish the prices for Mari and Nuke were less, but I understand the technology is very cool and it's sort of understandable.

Modo might follow that point of market (like Nuke and Mari, etc.) and, if so, you're right.
    Yeah I'm not slighting Nuke or Mari or any of the Foundry products. I am just think from a Modo users perspective, there might be reason to be concerned. For one, price. I see that going up. And also, with tools like Mari and Nuke in the Foundry line up, I don't see a lot of motivation there to add or improve on any painting or compositing tools inside Modo when they can just bridge data between the apps. If you want the higher end capabilities that those apps offer, they'll probably never come in advancements with Modo, you'll most likely need to buy a suite of software through the Foundry to get those added benefits.

i certainly won't be jumping in as fast as last time when 701 came out...
    that in my view was a rushed release and looking back didn't really offer me anything new for what i've worked on in the last year.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    i certainly won't be jumping in as fast as last time when 701 came out...
    that in my view was a rushed release and looking back didn't really offer me anything new for what i've worked on in the last year.
    It wasn't until Service Pack 3 that 701 was bug free enough and stable enough for me to use in production work. I agree it was definitely a rushed release. It's possible 801 could be another rushed release as well and may not be entirely stable until they have put out a few service packs for it. I'm definitely not rushing into upgrading to 801 no matter what features it has.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast