Thread: HD Timeline to SD DVD

HD Timeline to SD DVD

I have asked this question before and tried most of the suggestions but need an easy and consistent workflow to making a SD DVD from a HD timeline in SpeedEdit. The DVD must provide good quality and play properly on all screens from CRT's to LCD's either 4x3 or 16x9. Currently I render the HD Timeline to a 16x9 mpeg2 at 720x480 and use my Corel program to burn the DVD. If there is a better way I would love suggestions as I have a number of clients that require these SD DVD's and we master in footage from Panasonic 150's which are native AVHCD.

Thanks in advance
    If it's taking you longer than an hour to watch 60 minutes...you need help

Blog Entries
    I'm a little unclear as to why you need an alternative solution?

Is there a problem with your current workflow?

Shabazzy

Yes. I was using a standalone DVD recorder and making a SD 16x9 render then playing it from a new timeline thru firewire to the DVD recorder. Want to streamline this process

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RayLarson View Post
    Yes. I was using a standalone DVD recorder and making a SD 16x9 render then playing it from a new timeline thru firewire to the DVD recorder. Want to streamline this process
    Ok, I'm just going to try and recreate your workflow here, to see if I've got this right.

You currently:
    1. Import HD clips into an HD SE project
    2. Edit footage to completion
    3. Render out an SD Mpeg2 file of the competed HD edit
    4. Import the SD Mpeg2 file into Corel
    5. Playback the SD Mpeg2 video from within Corel to a connected standalone DVD recorder.
    6. As the SD Mpeg2 file is playing, DVD recorder is recording. Playback is in realtime.
    7. DVD is finally created and finalised for client.

If this is correct, then I'd say the problem is with step 6. What I do is pretty much the same as you, up to step 3. Except I create an uncompressed avi, not an Mpeg 2 from within SE. Simply as a matter of preference.

From that point I import the rendered file into my DVD burning software and let it create the required Mpeg2 file. Then I let the software burn the file it created onto a DVD+R or DVD-R, using my computer's internal DVD writer. Once done my software will ask me if I want to burn another, to which, I either do or I don't.

The procedure of burning doesn't require me to play the video in realtime while the built in DVD writer burns the DVD. It just creates the required DVD file structure and incorporates the Mpeg2 file to that file structure while burning it to the DVD media.

Ofcourse it has to be said that this process, albeit a relatively standard practice for domestically creating DVDs, isn't a foolproof solution. There can be some issues with it, but that usually is as a result of cheap or the wrong type of DVD media being used for DVD player playback (DVDRW's for example), poorly maintained DVD writers or a poor understanding of the DVD writing process and not making the correct settings within the burning software or rendering an incompatible file in the editing software.

Let me know if this helps

Shabazzy

Actually I bring the mpeg2 file into a new SE timeline and play that timeline into the standalone DVD recorder thru the firewire input. I like the idea of letting the computer do the work in Corel. Thanks for your input.

It looks to me as if you pretty much have it as easy as you can get it in some ways, but I will suggest a few ideas of my own...

FROM THE SPEED EDIT MANUAL P 138

" 10.1.1 SAVEAS – AVI
    Another useful feature is provided in the Save As file window. SpeedEDIT is capable of creating a small wrapper file which presents your entire video project to external applications as though it were a single Windows™ AVI file.

This psuedo - AVI file is very small, and takes only moments to create. In many cases, it can serve as a surrogate for use in other applications, saving a great deal of time that might otherwise be required to render out the entire project in a different format. "

In my attempts to do this, on my system, it hasn't been very workable at all, however I like to think that on other people's systems that may work quite well.

Allegedly, you can also then import this project, saved as an AVI file, into any other program which can import AVI files. Again, I have not been very successful with this, but hopefully it might work for others, meaning you.

There is software like AVS Video Converter, which I use, which seems to work quite well at importing a single file and exporting and DVD VIDEO_TS directory, and then burning it in just a few clicks. That software may also work with importing a single project saved as an AVI file, and exporting it as a DVD file. After the source file has been made, and imported into the program, there are some very basic menu, chaptering, and editing functions, or no menu at all, you can then go through a one click burning process, which will burn it onto a blank DVD quite quickly and efficiently.

It might be worth a try, with either the AVS program or any other program which you can think of. It may save you the render step if it works for you.

Of course, if it does not work, you can try removing various elements of the project to see which one is causing it to function incorrectly, transitions, sub-projects, etc..

And if it still does not work... wait...

My lawyer has just informed me I should stop here.

I've done it, although not anytime recently. If memory serves, you can't muck about with the file locations though (not 100% sure about that).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    you can't muck about with the file locations though
    Damn, Steve, you just ruined my whole day.