Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best and least expensive converter for bringing Powerpoint in as SDI?

What is the best and least expensive converter for bringing Powerpoint in as SDI?

I have looked back over a lot of the postings, but didn't find much.
    Best device I have found is the DAC-70. It will take VGA or HDMI and output SDI. I would like to have something to use at conferences to improve the quality of the images. I have tried going in VGA to components but the images looked kind of blurry to me. If anyone is doing it this way, I would like to hear how you do it. iVGA wouldn't always work because some presenters bring their laptops and don't show up in time. I need to be able to plug and play quickly.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

If price is a main point, then i would try one of these units.

http://www.amazon.com/Converter-Show...hdmi+to%22+sdi

Exactly the same units (comming from china) are usualy sold for 150USD.

best regards,
    Walter
    TC8000 / TW850
    Cables: Belden 1694/Canara Connectors
    Cams: Sony PWM-EX3, Sony HDR-CX430/BMD HDMI2SDI

iVGA Pro not working out for you?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    iVGA Pro not working out for you?

Jeff

iVGA works, but when dealing with lots of different laptops from presenters, I'm not sure that would work out. I need something that will connect to their laptop HDMI or VGA external port and be up and running quickly. I use iVGA in the studio and it works great. The resolution looks really good, almost too sharp. It needs a little more flicker filtering.

Usually at conferences, I use a distribution amp and feed the projector and use another output to feed my Tricaster. I've only used a Tricaster once off-site for a conference and this is what I did, but I ran the VGA through a scan converter and went into the Tricaster with a component signal. It worked, but the images just weren't as sharp as I would have liked. I also ended up having to put the presentations up on Vimeo. I think it would look better to go from VGA or HDMI from the laptop to SDI on the Tricaster.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

This looks like something we could use for our Power Point. Our ministers are always using PP with their talks. Just wonders if they have video with the slides will it carry the audio. I noticed that it has a BNC output.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jkerry211 View Post
    This looks like something we could use for our Power Point. Our ministers are always using PP with their talks. Just wonders if they have video with the slides will it carry the audio. I noticed that it has a BNC output.

Jeff
    It should work with video. The laptop audio goes in through RCA connectors and is embedded in the SDI output. More expensive than what I wanted to pay, but I think this would do exactly what I'm looking for. It can take the video from the laptop from HDMI or VGA out. I would really like to try one.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Hello again,

the unit that i mentioned, simply takes HDMI input (including audio) and converts it to SDI (including audio). (only HDMI would allow to have audio, if DVI cable is used there will be no audio)
    A main concerns that i have are the supported resolutions, it seems that only real video resolutions are supported but not other computer resolutions.
    So it might be needed to switch the connected PC to a compatible output resolution.

Its like always, you get what you pay for :-)

Walter
    Last edited by Labmaster; 04-03-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    TC8000 / TW850

Marty,

I completely agree with not using I VGA, although it works well at most corporate shows, there are several different PC's used at once and many large corporations IT depts will not let you load any software on there machines. That said I have no problems with I VGA Pro if we are providing the PC's. I am utilizing two Ensemble Designs BE 83 HDMI to HDSDI units from the HDMI output on ea. PC and then into HDSDI inputs and it works great (around $ 325.00) Ensemble Designs also make great scan convertors as well, my go to device is the BrightEye Mitto 3G , however it is an expensive unit (around $ 4,000.00). They also make a BrightEye Mitto Pro 2 that works great with less features (around $ 1,300.00). Roland also makes a scan convertor in this price range with a great quality image and features for a great value (around $ 995.00). On large corporate shows where we are doing any edge blending we will only use the Tri Caster 850 for live cameras and playback and have all our screens fed directly into a Folsom Encore. Basically there are many ways to accomplish what you are wanting to do at several price points. It sounds as if you and I are in the same situation in regards to having a presenter show up at the extreme last minute with there PC or Mac and want to utilize that machine...... This is why many times any of our screens are controlled by scalers with the presenters machines being plugged directly into the scaler. Basically think of the scaler as just a simple (albeit $$$) computer processor. There are so many ways to achieve what you are wanting to do, it can get confusing.

Chris Lines
    Southwest Audio Visual
    Springfield MO
    www.southwestav.com
    Last edited by rg7fan; 04-03-2014 at 02:03 AM.

We use Gefen VGA Scalers - http://www.gefen.com/kvm/ext-vga-2-d...p?prod_id=4341

in conjunction with Blackmagic HDMI to SDI converters - the battery converter model is a bit more rugged: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_Battery.html

The other two things that we recommend you always carry is a Doctor HDMI http://www.drhdmi.eu and a BMD UpDownCross http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...DownCross.html

... with those 4 devices you will ALWAYS be able to input whatever VGA or DVI source you are given by the AV team to your Tricaster as SDI.

Remember to always have VGA and DVI gender benders in your kit too
    3xScreen Media - the online video experts
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

We use 860, 850 & 450 Tricasters, 3Play 425, Livetext laptops, LT Scoreboards, UltimateTV Midi Doll, Young Monkey's Mastercontrol.

Video Producer, So Calif.
    Like 3x, we use the Geffen to go 5-wire, VGA, or DVI scaled to 1080 component (that was the cheapest Gefen). Then, if we want a long cable run, we use a BMD analog-to-SDI. With the Geffen, we can be super-nice to any show's AV company and say "whatever you want to give us is cool." We always carry HDMI-to-SDI boxes (BMD and others) because HDMI is ubiquitous, too. Finally, if we know it's a small conference, we also pack a HDMI 2x2 matrix switcher from Monoprice and a 1x4 Extron VGA DA so that we can split the signal that they're usually sending to the projector.

Like you said, iVGA can't be used in many (nay, most) situations in the corporate and event A/V world. We carry the tools above unless it's a job where we have been told that there's no graphics input.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

"many large corporations IT depts will not let you load any software on their machines."

A very wise Newtek Demo Engineer once put it this way - tell the client that you simply need to "connect a dongle" to their laptop so it can talk to the TriCaster. In reality, you need only RUN the iVGA utility from the USB stick and honestly are NOT installing anything, so you're not being untruthful, but also not scaring them by telling them you "need to install software" on their precious machine.

Not suggesting there is anything wrong with using the SDI converter if that's the solution that best suits your needs, but if the only roadblock to using iVGA is the "software installation" thing then the "dongle" trick might do it for some users. Just wanted to share this for the benefit of any other readers that might find it useful.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    "many large corporations IT depts will not let you load any software on their machines."

... In reality, you need only RUN the iVGA utility from the USB stick and honestly are NOT installing anything, so you're not being untruthful....
    usualy its not the software itselft that gives the problem, its the network configuration, firewall settings and things like that, what makes it difficult to use IVAG on a clients computer.

best regards,
    Walter
    TC8000 / TW850

We run everyone's PowerPoint from a computer that we have networked with the Tricaster, we have a clicker where they control their powerpoint with a USB controller plugged into our computer, and we feed it to a projector, to a monitor so that they can see it, we can feed it to a virtual monitor if they use a virtual set, we can feed it to the stream and all we need is for them to hand us their PowerPoint on a flash drive.

It's an option and you don't have to install anything on anyone's computer.
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

How much is to much? I have spent thousands on gadgets (some of them described above) before finally biting the bullet and spending a grand on the Matrox DVI Convert Plus (http://www.matrox.com/video/en/produ...vert_dvi_plus/). Worked like a charm right out of the box. Works with Skype, YouTube (really anything on your screen). I will never use iVGA ever again.
    Ned Bosnak | President
    Maverick Mediaworks Inc.
    www.maverickmedia.ca

TC860 w/CS, TC 855 w/CS, 3Play 425 w/CS
    Sony EX3, Sony EX1, GoPro3
    HD-SDI via Coax & Tactical Fibre
    Clear-com Intercom

Granted, we do mostly web streamed things with our Tricaster and the only thing that we've ever brought that was extra was a $50 Dollar gadget for turning our Tricaster 40 into a webcam for google hangouts and skype. iVGA and iVGA Pro work flawlessly. Live text is too clunky, so I premake everythng in Photoshop and After Effects, but can make some pretty cool graphics using Powerpoint n a network input using a key if I need.

So when you ask, how much is too much, if you're talking after original purchase, I'm thinking anything more than $50.00.
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast