Thread: You owe it to yourself...

Wink You owe it to yourself...

You owe it to yourself... to check out HitFilm2. Even the limited Express version is awesome. It's got all the things you & I have all been whining about that SE doesn't have. I mean you're all gonna breathe a sigh of relief to finally have the ability to do easy & nice pixel tracking, lensflares, nice automatic effects, Photoshop style blending options, and lots of masks, shatters, and pages of great FX, subprojecting, etc... at least I know I certainly did.

It will never really take over from or replace SE in my mind (at this stage of the learning curve), because they've designed it in a fairly Avid style (clumsy & stupid) way as far as timeline editing goes [I begged Simon not to stay with that Avid format and to go with a more SpeedEdit fluidity, but he said had his reasons (and no-one else was complaining, just me) so they kept it that way] but the effect application, rendering and re-usability are awesome, so I'm using it to render a clip quickly then pull it back into SE and continue on editing in the usualy friendly & familiar way, but with all the effect I've always wanted, and it's working really well.

They make a very powerful combination.

And I think they may have just released their Mac version.
    Last edited by Mutley Eugenius; 03-27-2014 at 04:49 PM.

I totally agree, I was doing some really great stuff in minutes with HitFilm...and I still love SpeedEDIT.

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Saw you on the HitFilm Forum, Shawn - cool.

If think if NewTek checked HitFilm 2 out they would go all kind of, silent.

Hang on, they sort of did. I wonder if they are working on how to integrate some of the awesomeness.

Which reminds me of the words of the notorious RipSlinger - "Is there an awesome beyond awesome, or is awesome as awesome as I'll ever be?"

I took your suggestion and tried the trial version of Hitfilm 2 and can only say.... WOW!!! Like you, I still love SE and only wish NewTek would check Hitfilm out and add some features to SE. I think we'd all stop whining if that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by dweinkauf View Post
    I took your suggestion and tried the trial version of Hitfilm 2 and can only say.... WOW!!! Like you, I still love SE and only wish NewTek would check Hitfilm out and add some features to SE. I think we'd all stop whining if that happened.
    I don't think we'll ever stop whining. It would just be less justified if they did add these functions.

But with a 6 shooter full of SE & HitFilm2 on each hip, you'll definitely be the quickest draw on your block for quite some time!

Check out this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdv0v_of1tg
    Last edited by Mutley Eugenius; 04-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Great tutorial like the dozen or so other HitFilm tutorials I've watched.

I plan to buy in. I will replace AE with Hitfilm. Thanks for the info.

Blog Entries

My Assessment

Ok, so I finally installed HitFilm 2 Express, four months after downloading it as part of their free offer. As part of the deal you needed to register an account with HitFilm before you could download the file, so I did that and forgot about it. Till now.

On installing, it asked for a serial code to activate it for full use. Did I get issued with one? No. Checked my online account. Nothing. Checked the emails. Nothing again. But nonetheless I tried it out in demo mode.

Here's my assessment.

HitFilm is without doubt awesome.

However.

It's not for me.

Why?

I'll tell ya.

As an editing tool, I don't see what exactly it offers me that SpeedEDIT doesn't. In fact I'd say that SpeedEDIT provides more flexibility and timesaving features than HitFilm. So on that score I'd give it a miss.

As a compositing tool, it fits in very nicely for visual effects work and makes for an excellent alternative to Adobe's After Effects. However, I don't really do a great deal of visual effects work and the tools that I have for the type of work I do, offer me almost everything I need.

So why did I download it and install it in the first place? Well, one of the things I want to do is streamline my workflow. A problem that I've been having to work around is the usage of track mattes and I thought I'd check out HitFilm to see if it offered a solution to my current workflow.

It turns out that HitFilm has a feature very similar to After Effects' 'Track Matte', only they call it 'Set Matte'. HitFilm 2 Express doesn't have 'Set Matte', for that you must buy HitFilm 2 Ultimate for $399.

Another feature I wanted was 3D motion and camera tracking that can export and import data to/from LightWave. 1) No version of HF2 can't work with LightWave and 2) HF2Express doesn't do 3D tracking. Yep. Need Ultimate for that.

So do you owe it to myself to own HitFilm? Well, if you don't already possess the tools to do compositing work, you could do worse than HitFilm. It offers some fantastic tools to produce some amazing visual effects shots and can only help your production value.

Is it for me? Not in any significant way, no.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I downloaded it and checked it out, since it's always nice to learn new things and there may come a time when it'll come in handy, but for now it's on the back burner.

Conclusion: A good VFX choice if you need don't already have what it offers.

Shabazzy

A year or so ago, I got a free copy of Sony Vegas 12 Pro with my camcorder purchase. About a month ago, Sony came out with an upgrade (Sony Vegas 13 Pro Suite) that included the full versions of Vegas Pro 13, HitFilm 2 Pro, Sound Forge Pro, DVD Architect and several other pieces of software for $299 - the same price HitFilm 2 Pro alone was selling for. Great Suite! You're right that HitFilm isn't an editor, but it's a great substitute for After Effects.

Blog Entries
    I just re read what I wrote.

God, my grammar needs Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I just re read what I wrote.

God, my grammar needs Jesus!

Yeah, Baz, I was gonna say!