Thread: Flocking - Weightmaps on an Object

Flocking - Weightmaps on an Object

I'm playing around with some Flocking stuff. I want the particles to arrive at specific areas of my model.

I thought I could do this by painting a weight map on my model and using that in the Texture editor. Problem is there seems be no way to access any Vertex Maps in either Texture Editor/Procedual Texture/Node Editor to Gradient/Input Parameter.

Is there any way this can be done or is setting up an invisible proxy object what I have to do?

Doubtful, particle spawning or sticking hasnīt worked for standard particles, and I doubt it will work for flocking...then itīs a feature they
    should have showcased as a better tool than native particle behavior/features.

some testing...I used a sphere with a weightmap brushed on (Layout weight map display and paintbrush..Please! thanks)
    the sphere object was set as director arrive....so the question would be in what channel to put the weightmap, arrival radius or strength?

Anyway, thereīs not much in form of gradient to use in there, so I tried adding a procedural texture and use the texture node editor from there and in the nodes adding a scalar layer and from that scalar layer adding a gradient and thus getting acess to the weight map.
    but running the sim does nothing with that applied.

you could try the same for standard particles and try to use that for birth rate...wouldnīt work either as far as I know.

Michael

Hi Prometheus. Nice tip about getting to the Weightmap through the Scalar Layer! I applied it to the Weight channel and as you found, doesn't appear to change anything. I'm guessing those values aren't passed back at that level of the Node Editor (which is probably why the Vertex Map options are missing from the menu).

Layout weight map display and paintbrush... +100000....

Thanks for trying.

Try copy pasting only those parts of your model where you want agents to land, and use that object as an arrive director. Turn it off for rendering of course if you don't want to see it.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Thanks James, suspected as much.

shouldnīt it actually work with image maps and procedurals?, havenīt tested and no time to do so right now.

But I soooo ...want weight map display and painting with a brush in layout, it sure would expand a lot on faster workflow with more accuracy..painting in everything from where I wanīt terrain displacements and use weightmaps as a mask, or pain it a cloud layer to map with hypervoxels particles or appliance on weighted vertex maps, or paint in fiber fx density, or in mesh filter to use with bullet engine, and for bones etc. itīs a little frustrating having it in modeler only when you need to work in layout with it for a better overview.

Even if it works with image maps or procedurals, the workflow overview is that you canīt paint a texture map and precisly place your area in layout, so we still need a paint brush tool for starter..and letīs start with weight maps at least.
    Copy parts of an object as James suggested might work fine, but...workflow vice, we need something better,
    with painting in layout you can control where much better in terms of overview...and faster.

regarding use of particles and emitting from weightmaps, old fire and smoke generator could do it with emission from weightmaps.
    You would think that it canīt be that hard to code to work with flocking for arriving or sticking, or for what I want with old native particle system...emission spawning/birth.

http://www.polas.net/smoke/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    regarding use of particles and emitting from weightmaps, old fire and smoke generator could do it with emission from weightmaps.
    You would think that it canīt be that hard to code to work with flocking for arriving or sticking, or for what I want with old native particle system...emission spawning/birth.

http://www.polas.net/smoke/index.php
    Shame its only 32bit and i spoke to Pawel and he said he has no plans for 64bit as he thought no one really used it anymore.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Shame its only 32bit and i spoke to Pawel and he said he has no plans for 64bit as he thought no one really used it anymore.
    haha...whatsīup with this 32 bit 64 bit environments...and jascha skipping turbulenceFD for 32 bit versions, which I wasnīt pleased with, even though I sort of understand it.
    And pavel olas seem to generally have stopped any further development of his plugins, thus I think not that many will actually invest in anything on his site if it canīt be updated.

And if he does believe no one isnīt using it, why let it sit there occupying valuable bandwith on the net just sell it to the lightwave
    group and let them dissect it and get the best from it to put in to an updated particle system in Lightwave...if they are interested that is.
    I thought it was sort of cool in terms thay you could use weight maps, and it has vorticles which I think the native system needs too.
    but it fails behind a fluid system of course....so either he should release it for much cheaper or bundled with something else I think.

Ageed Prometheus, i still use Smartmorph and tree designer, but not used fire and smoke gen since moving to 64bit.

I think he has just about given up on his plugins and yes it would be nice if he shared them, so at least someone could continue updating it, like Passport and iDof.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop