Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE QUESTION: Collision Issues

NEWBIE QUESTION: Collision Issues

I'm using the Lightwave 3D tutorials from Lynda.com and they're actually working out fairly well; I'm learning a lot. I am; however, having some slight technical difficulties.

For instance, Lynda.com has a tutorial that creates a simple cloth in Modeler (using a flat box). A new layer is created to make a ball. The 2 layer object is saved and exported to Layout. The tutorial ends. The very next tutorial shows how to drop the "cloth" over the ball using gravity, collision, and cloth FX to make the cloth drape over the ball.

Here's the problem: When I use the cloth and ball I created in Modeler (following their exact instructions) the cloth drapes over the ball, but it rips through the cloth; however, when I load the scene (presumably with the exact same cloth and ball) the cloth drapes over the ball with no problem. I've checked the settings for both (the one I created in Modeler and the one loaded from the exercise file) and I see NO difference. I've also tried to adjust the BOUND and FRICTION (which the tutorial said would keep objects from poking through the cloth) but even using extreme values I see NO difference.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

hard to say without the scenefile posted.

is the subdivision order the the same in both sceneīs?
    other than that... I think some settings in the clothfx tab might not be the same...and something you missed.

Michael

cloth fx basic tab and sub structure and hold structure might be different, check that...maybe also the spring setting.

10_03_SimpleClothFXBegin.lws10_03_SimpleClothFXBeginTest.lws

I hope I did this correctly. Here are the two scene files.

1004Building collisions.mov

Here's the tutorial...

- - - Updated - - -

Cool. I'll check those.

Under Object Properties, after ADD FX and using "cloth" FX in the FX tab, I'm using the preset for cloth (thin) under the ETC tab; All the settings after I hit the preset seem to be the same.
    Last edited by RainyDaze; 03-23-2014 at 02:06 PM.

you canīt just post scenefiles, you need to post objects too..lightwave gives error messages of missing objects otherwise.

make a main folder called something like clothfx and within that save objects to an objects folder, and scene to scenes folder.

right click and send to compressed map(zipfile) and post that.

ClothFX.zip
    1004Building collisions.mov

Okay I'm trying again...I'm sorry. Thanks for being patient.

The tutorials scenes are called "SimpleClothFXBegin" and "BrickWallBegin". My scenes have the word "Test" at the end.
    The tutorial objects are called "ClothFX2" and "StoneWall". My objects are called "Cover_Box" (because I first tried to duplicate the effect with a box) and "BallinWall".
    Last edited by RainyDaze; 03-23-2014 at 05:09 PM.

This is getting REALLY frustrating. Nothing I create in Modeler is working in Layout the way it's supposed to. I put skelegons in a simple cylinder, saved it, and exported it to Layout. I used Cvt Skelegons, and followed the instructions to attach the bones to my cylinder, and nothing is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDaze View Post
    This is getting REALLY frustrating. Nothing I create in Modeler is working in Layout the way it's supposed to. I put skelegons in a simple cylinder, saved it, and exported it to Layout. I used Cvt Skelegons, and followed the instructions to attach the bones to my cylinder, and nothing is happening.
    skelegons must be in the same layer as the object when you finally send them to layout, further on..make sure you enable bone deform, in layout setup bone panel.

Michael

None of the scenes you posted has any collision object,hard fx or clothfx applied at all, so we canīt test anything with them.
    donīt know why you donīt get them in there?

canīt tell anything on how you have set it up, since I donīt know what you use since all your fx isnīt with the scene.
    and I havenīt checked the video tute either, but after fast testing, just raise your collision objects radius, do not let it
    have a value of zero.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

yes..I recommend watching that, I do understand the issue now he had with the cloth sort of, unfortunatly I can not
    really work with Lightwave properly at the moment, im running my laptop in fail safe mode since normal mode is crashing on me with some errors on either the disc or perhaps the memory, so I can only do simple test and hardly navigate with that mode on, have to be absent from the help support for a while and fix my own hardwar issues.

I will probably have to make a completly new full recovery system install if itīs only the operating system malfunctioning,I have done a backup of most a while ago, but always manually check if I need to backup some more before cleaning it all, otherwise I will have to fix another computer that just needs new harddrive.

for the clothfx issues, check the video links...and learn...I couldnīt follow the video from lynda.com..but sounds ridiculous if they havenīt forseen these issues and also demonstrated how to solve it, why not contact them?

Michael

Yes, it's frustrating when you follow along with something exactly and don't get the same result. I think we've all been there.
    (Like Prometheus said, the attached scenes did not come through with any dynamics.... or anything key framed for that matter, so....)

.... I followed all the steps in the video (thankfully, pretty basic stuff) with their objects and yours.
    It is odd that they get such a "clean" result with those instructions, yet following along does not. I believe I got the same result as you did.... not exactly tearing, but the collision object can clearly be seen. As suggested above, there are ways to overcome the discrepancies (collision offset etc...), but your valid question still remains..... why the different results with the same settings??
    To me, something is not being said in the video...... Or is barely being said.

In the video the instructor, in passing, mentions that he has the cloth object set at a default SubD level of 3 or 4. Well which is it??
    Default, of course, is three, but in this situation a bump up to 4 makes all the difference in the world. SubD 4 looks much much more like their example .
    Another possibility (unsaid in vid) is that they are using CC SubDs..... a MUCH denser mesh making for a HUGE difference upon calculation, and, in comparison, an absolutely "clean" result. I believe CC subD 3 is equivalent to regular subD 8!!

Edit: A little more evidence supporting my theory.
    Yes, I realize that they were recording and calculating at the same time. Even so....
    The calculation time seems very long for LW SubD at 3. It takes them over a minute.
    In comparison, my machine (while not recording, is older than dirt and limping along with hobbled processors) does it in 12 seconds. 24 seconds at LW subD 4.

side note: good luck with the computer(s) Prometheus!
    Last edited by JoePoe; 03-24-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast