Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Instances on flocking particles donīt align to path

  1. #1

    Instances on flocking particles donīt align to path

    Hi,
    is there something Iīm missing or does Instances on flocking particles donīt align to path?
    I have made a flock of birds.
    Then I have assigned Instancing to it.
    I use the Particles type for instancing and for Rotation Alignment "Particles".
    The instances donīt align to path (they donīt rotate at all).

    I have also looked into the "Sparrow_Murmuration" scene from the LW 11.5 Content, but this birds donīt align, too.

    Please help.
    ciao
    Thomas

    p.s.: I use 11.5 (64 bit) for this.
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  2. #2
    Curmudgeon in Training Ma3rk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Near Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    1,441
    The Sparrows scene isn't using a path; they're just pursing a Goal Director.

    In general, you'd create a Null and then add a Flock Generator to that, not the Sparrow object itself.

    You might want to take a look at the Flying Probes scene instead as that uses several paths.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    The Sparrows scene isn't using a path; they're just pursing a Goal Director.

    In general, you'd create a Null and then add a Flock Generator to that, not the Sparrow object itself.

    You might want to take a look at the Flying Probes scene instead as that uses several paths.
    Hi Ma3rk,
    thank you for your answer.
    My problem isnīt the flocking setup. My problem is that the instanced birds donīt look in the direction of flight but all look in the same direction.
    Strangely enough, it worked once, but with other settings (for the flocking particles) it does not work anymore.
    And if I use a target object to look at LW crashes until rendering...

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  4. #4
    To show my problem:
    Here is a picture from the "Sparrow_Murmuration" scene from the LW 11.5 Content.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flocking_align.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	120962

    I simulated the flocking and changed the visibility of the instances to solid. They all look in the same direction and donīt align to their flying direction.

    ciao
    Thomas

    LW 11.5 (64 bit)
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  5. #5
    It seems that this is a bug.
    If you calculate the flocking for the whole range of the timeline the alignment works!
    If you stop the calculation of the flocking before the end of the timeline the instances donīt align right.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  6. #6
    LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pessac
    Posts
    5,067
    Is there a reason you are still using 11.5?

    B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

  7. #7
    NewTek Developer jameswillmott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,171
    Ah yes, this was by design. The positions are calculated, then a smoothing algorithm is run over them, then rotation is calculated based on the smoothed path. This is to stop small jiggles in the motion from causing sudden jerks in the orientation. If you let the sim run all the way through as you've found it works properly. If you abort halfway through, the orientation never gets calculated. I'll make a note to change this so orientation is calculated even if you abort.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Is there a reason you are still using 11.5?

    B
    Hi,
    yes. I'm in the middle of a job. Therefore, I would not change the version.

    Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott View Post
    Ah yes, this was by design. The positions are calculated, then a smoothing algorithm is run over them, then rotation is calculated based on the smoothed path. This is to stop small jiggles in the motion from causing sudden jerks in the orientation. If you let the sim run all the way through as you've found it works properly. If you abort halfway through, the orientation never gets calculated. I'll make a note to change this so orientation is calculated even if you abort.
    Thank you.

    ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

    I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

  9. #9
    I've always been here Mr_Q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Burbank
    Posts
    340
    This is fixed in 11.6.2.
    Kevin "Q" Quattro
    Inhance Digital
    3D Art Director



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •