Thread: Is there an equivalent in Modeler for Modo's align to work plane?

Is there an equivalent in Modeler for Modo's align to work plane?

For those of you who use both programs, is there anything similar to the align work plane to selection, or even a modify work plane specifying position and rotation?

LWM don't have workplanes.

There is some tricks and tools what can help with that (modleign out of center and tilted/rotated) but no workplanes per se.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

What LW11 does have are the "Align to Plane" and "Restore Align" tools. You select a plane of the base object and "Align to Plane" flips it to the groun at the origin. Then you can work there on details, and flip the entire thing back using "Restore Align".

In LWCAD, there is the UCS (Universal Coordinate System) which is its workplane. You can use it for scaling, rotation, translation, primitive creation, etc... along a custom workplane.

not equivalent, but you might also find Place Mesh useful...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

C-Plane is pretty close to Modo`s workplane.

yep, but it's basically the same as this >

What LW11 does have are the "Align to Plane" and "Restore Align" tools. You select a plane of the base object and "Align to Plane" flips it to the groun at the origin. Then you can work there on details, and flip the entire thing back using "Restore Align".
    so no need for it if you have LightWave 11...

If what you need to do is a simple operation (move, rotate or stretch/size), you can use the transform tool (in the modify tab)
    Activate the tool and right click on the polygon that you want to be your workplane. The gizmo will align to this polygon and you can then do what you want

Can you select two polygons or more and have it adapt to those? That's one of the advantages of the work plane, I can select two or more polygons and then do transform operations on them.

The LWCAD workplane has a 3 point mode which will allow you to create your plane from a 3 point selection.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    The LWCAD workplane has a 3 point mode which will allow you to create your plane from a 3 point selection.
    Thanks, but I'm not planning on buying LWCAD.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    this is great, and something LightWave should adapt for sure...
    Last edited by erikals; 03-23-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Yes, I'm hoping that LW3DG will consider a work plane as a part of modeler improvements among other things.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    LW11's align to plane sounds similar to C-plane, but as I am on 9.6 dunno if it has a feature JettoLocal has, which is, you can align to a plane, close the model, open it later and reset the alignment. JettoLocal can do this as it writes the info to the layer name for the object, so as long as you do not move layers or rename them, you can work away in 'translated' mode until you're ready to revert to Global.
    It's an old plugin but one I found indespensible when worknig in modeller.
    Too old to die young.

Yes,

I just created a box and rotated it off axis. Then:

Select a face
    Modify > Align > Align to Plane
    Then I drew out a cone right on that the poly.
    Modify > Align > Restore Align

It's exactly as I'd do in modo.

I'm just back to LightWave, since 8.5. I must say, I was skeptical at first, but I'm not seeing the limitations anymore, especially with LWCAD.