Thread: SpeedEdit crashes when working with .MTS video files

SpeedEdit crashes when working with .MTS video files

When working with speed edit it will crash on .MTS video files when you go to render them. Also, they audio is not synced with the video files. I've tried converting the files to AVI and trying to edit them in Speededit and you have sound, but the video is motionless. Also, short clips 1 to 3 seconds will crash the program as well. I have everything updated to the latest version and all drivers are updated

The laptops we're using with these are Acers with 2.6Ghz Core i5 3230M with 8GB of DDR3 and GeForce 710M (fermi) with Optimus. I'm wondering if maybe the that is messing with Speededit where windows will want to use the HD4000 integrated Intel graphics then switch to the GeForce 710M or if the 710M is to new for speededit?

It's a sad fact that SE does have a number of programmical eccentricities and codectual anomalies that cause it to behave in peculiar ways on certain machines. This statemtne is true for a lot of software, not just SE.

The best thing to do, if it cannot operate with a particular filetype is to use a 3rd party program to batch convert them first to something SE can deal with.

I recommend you get Handbrake or something like which can do a batch convert of a whole directory of files that you just shot with your camera while you sleep so they can be ready to import into SE and use the next day.

But first, make sure you have the latest version of SE, 2.6, which reportedly has better handling of MTS files.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    Try changing mts to mpg.
    It's worth a try but I'll be stunned if it does - I've never known such trickery to make any difference with SE. It's smarter than Windows.

I've been using Freemake to do the converting from MTS, but I'll try MPG. I don't use Speededit personally, it's used at the High School I do the IT for and the media arts teacher is at her wits end with it and I'm not a video editing guru haha. But thanks, I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll go get some Handbrake.

No, no conversion: just rename the file.

Works on a mac -- you can see the thumbnail and slide it into any program that can use an mpg.

You're running SE on a Mac?

So what happened? Did the MPG renaming work?