Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic Games making Unreal Engine 4 available for $19 per month, starting today

Just tested creating UV map and baking procedural texture via camera bake and imported model into Unreal. Looks great!

I just wish I could figure out how to get my bone deformation/animation information into Unreal. Using the 2012FBX exporter . It sees the very simple skeletal system but does not import any of the animation applied to the bones (FK).

LW3D Group / Rob Powers - I really *really* hope you guys are making the next big version of LW to talk to game engines. Virtual Reality is soon apon us and I would love to use LightWave to create those environments and to be able to use LW animation in my scenes.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Based on this info:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...hes/index.html

Unreal 4 currently supports FBX 2013. No idea yet whether there were substantial differences from 2012 that would cause compatibility issues.

As far as i know, 2013 was a major API update (restructuring, refactoring of classes, methods and function. etc), however, the file format it self, should only have minor changes and should be backward compatible.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

I am going to be working with Unreal Engine 4. It will be good if the next release of LW is updated to support FBX 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Just tested creating UV map and baking procedural texture via camera bake and imported model into Unreal. Looks great!

I just wish I could figure out how to get my bone deformation/animation information into Unreal. Using the 2012FBX exporter . It sees the very simple skeletal system but does not import any of the animation applied to the bones (FK).

LW3D Group / Rob Powers - I really *really* hope you guys are making the next big version of LW to talk to game engines. Virtual Reality is soon apon us and I would love to use LightWave to create those environments and to be able to use LW animation in my scenes.
    How detailed are we talking about for some baking / models? Can you post some screenshots?

Hey guys, long time no hear,
    can you point out, if and where LW will fail to deliver assets for UE4 or Unity? Animations, blendshapes, rigs? Or is everything possible with some tweaking?
    I am not uptodate, am still on 9.6 and don't know what has become better with the current version of LW. I have to decide if I should update - but if there's nothing better than 9.6 regarding game-engine support, then I can wait.
    Have a Rift, Hydras and am diving into VR.
    Thanks
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post

Either way, LW3DG needs to make LW Game export friendly
    and it needs to be for "Major" Game Engines like Unreal/UDK.
    I want a custom exporter, not just an FBX file but an exporter
    that sends scene or object data over "correctly".

Give me an "EASY" Button for exporting to game engines.

Could bring so many people into the fold.
    Do you know how to make models game ready for the Unreal Engine? I have several models that I need a tutorial on how to make it game ready. Anybody know this?

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    How detailed are we talking about for some baking / models? Can you post some screenshots?
    Probably a bit late and you may have looked at Unreal Engine already. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and I'm currently testing things almost on a daily basis.
    So far I've just made simple models of cabins designed by a friend.

And here's the node graph. It's plain and simple LOVELY to work with. And I usually don't like (or get) nodes that much.
    I'm not allowed to add two videos in the same post, so you'll have to deal with the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8kCnTPLUDc
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 08-04-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12