Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSOD on F9/F10 - Intermittent

BSOD on F9/F10 - Intermittent

Well I finally have a new machine, and one up to doing what I need. Except three days in and not seriously put it through its paces yet, I'm getting a BSOD with F9. Not all the time. Ignore my signature for now - it's an i7 3.4Ghz 64Gb RAM Titan Black 6Gb Win 8.1 64bit.

I also have a Wacom Intuos Pro Large. Drivers are all up to date. The machine has barely had time to get messed up! Also running Nortons 360.

The first BSOD happened during rendering an 8,000 x 4,000 pixel image via F10 - WDC Watchdog Violation, the second tonight happened during a 1,000 x 600 pixel render via F9 - Bad Pool Header.

Ironic that the quad core it replaces was rock solid, but too slow and low on RAM to handle what we're doing now.

I'd appreciate any ideas, if it's the Titan driver maybe, tests to run, anything. I appreciate it's not a simple matter to pin down, but my work is going suffer if I can't render the blasted jobs without BSODs.

Thanks.

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

What does the Event Viewer have logged when the crash happens?

What are your temperatures? Also, i7-[what]?
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

It's an i7-4930K 3.4Ghz.

Event Viewer reports this:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
    Date: 18 / 03 / 2014 20:34:43
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: TitanOne
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x000000000000000d, 0xffffd000262bd230, 0xffffe00007510cc0, 0xff87a10c61901bfb). A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 031814-39656-01.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08 /events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting" Guid="{ABCE23E7-DE45-4366-8631-84FA6C525952}" EventSourceName="BugCheck" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-18T20:34:43.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7109</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>TitanOne</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">0x00000019 (0x000000000000000d, 0xffffd000262bd230, 0xffffe00007510cc0, 0xff87a10c61901bfb)</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">031814-39656-01</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Am running some renders to see what the temp does. Right now, idling, CPU temp is 31 degrees C, mobo temp is 27 degrees C.

I'll get back with more when I've rendered some stuff.

Thanks.

Julian.
    Last edited by JBT27; 03-19-2014 at 02:49 AM.

I added some spaces in the bug report above to stop the blasted smiley appearing.

Julian.

It has been mentioned to me this morning that this is not uncommon - BSODs happen. I get that. But I'm talking about BSODs during F9/F10, and nothing else so far - machine works fine otherwise. I still think the rendering BSOD is abnormal, but if anyone can tell me differently, I'll take that on the chin, as it were.

Julian.

Of course a BSOD is abnormal.

Does the blue screen say BAD_POOL_HEADER? Google: bugcheck 0x00000019
    How are those temps while rendering?
    That this is a new box, it might be a good step to run Memtest on the RAM and Driver Verifier on the subsystem to see what may be corrupting the pool header.
    What AV are you running?
    Latest BIOS flashed?
    Last edited by spherical; 03-19-2014 at 05:11 PM.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Of course a BSOD is abnormal.

How are those temps while rendering?
    That this is a new box, it might be a good step to run memtest on the RAM.
    What AV are you running?
    Latest BIOS flashed?
    Thought so - odd crashes yes, but not BSODs on a particular process.
    Temps are OK - machine has been on all day - 15hrs or so at the moment. Average idling is 36 degrees C - rendering peaks at 69 degrees C, quickly falling to 30s degrees C on completion.
    AV is Nortons 360 Premier. I have been using Kaspersky AV for years, but for some reason it screwed up installing, that bluescreened, and I ditched it for Nortons.
    I did have the free version of Networx installed - removed that today.
    MemTest was fine - did that last night - left it running.
    BIOS is latest - checked with builders.
    Had one bluescreen on render today - Bad_Pool_Header again, otherwise the machine is working well. That said, not pushed it hard yet. Sent minidumps to the manufacturer.
    I'll try almost anything - serious tripwire is this.

Julian.

Hmm, might be remnants of Kaspersky in the registry.

• Did you run the LW installer files As Administrator? I don't mean logged in as Administrator, although that is recommended, I mean right-click on the installer and choose Run As Administrator.
    • Did you completely disable the AV and Firewall when installing?
    • Did you install in /Program Files? I never do that. Too many permissions issues in Win8. I create a "replica" pair of of top-level directories: /Apps for 64-bit and /Apps (x86) for 32-bit to keep them separated. That I have an SSD for the %system drive%, I set these directories on a fast HDD to cut down on the cycles.
    • After install, are you setting all LW applications to Run As Administrator?

Yes, installed in Run As Administrator - AV and firewall may still have been on though. LW works fine otherwise - not sure why rendering would be intermittently tripped up if the install had been bad, ie. wouldn't it be consistently crashing?
    They are installed in Programs - not clear what you are meaning; a separate folder in the root of the boot drive you mean, as an alternative?
    They were not set to Run As Administrator, but they are now.
    I'll check the registry for remnants of Kasperksy - pretty sure I ran their remove tool as well.

Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by JBT27 View Post
    LW works fine otherwise - not sure why rendering would be intermittently tripped up if the install had been bad, ie. wouldn't it be consistently crashing?
    Not necessarily. Render uses a different portion of the code that taxes the system differently.

They are installed in Programs - not clear what you are meaning; a separate folder in the root of the boot drive you mean, as an alternative?
    Yes.

Try stressing it with Prime95 if it bsods
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205
    Could be ram or mobo related bsod.

Was going to suggest that but, seeing as how he already ran Memtest, I figured that Prime95 had been run already.

Thought so - odd crashes yes, but not BSODs on a particular process.
    Temps are OK - machine has been on all day - 15hrs or so at the moment. Average idling is 36 degrees C - rendering peaks at 69 degrees C, quickly falling to 30s degrees C on completion.
    AV is Nortons 360 Premier. I have been using Kaspersky AV for years, but for some reason it screwed up installing, that bluescreened, and I ditched it for Nortons.
    I did have the free version of Networx installed - removed that today.
    MemTest was fine - did that last night - left it running.
    BIOS is latest - checked with builders.
    Had one bluescreen on render today - Bad_Pool_Header again, otherwise the machine is working well. That said, not pushed it hard yet. Sent minidumps to the manufacturer.
    I'll try almost anything - serious tripwire is this.

Julian.
    If you haven't done so already, I suggest running the Kaspersky Removal tool to guarantee complete removal. Here's the link to the official download page plus instructions: http://support.kaspersky.com/common/...e.aspx?el=1464

Hope that helps.

Peter
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

I have reinstalled 11.6.2 as per spherical's notes - I have not yet tried them in their own folder in the root of the boot drive - I may; I'm pursuing this for now because it always worked fine and I don't want to change too many things simultaneously. Driver Verifier returned no problems - all the drivers are signed, nothing adverse picked up. Hardware checks so far have been fine, but I'm going to run them again. Have run KAV removal tool - thanks for the link.

Oddly this morning, the Modeler and Layout icons in the NT bin folder were blank. If I create shortcuts, they are fine, if I pin those to the taskbar, they are blank - might be nothing; they were OK yesterday. I noticed after a restart that on the desktop, I got a Homegroup icon - first time I have seen that, then it disappeared again minutes later. I say could be nothing, but that seems weird - if these were old Mac days of 20 years back, I'd rebuild the desktop with stuff like that happening! I deleted the iconcache and restarted - made no difference. Just trying to pick up on oddness with this new machine.

I'll see how today goes, see if I get any response from the builders on the minidumps.

Thanks for all the help so far - I'll keep on it - need this machine stable. So much for getting excited about a new machine - that'll teach me.

Julian.

I meant to say as well that I am running Classic Shell with Win 8.1, in case that is suspected. I installed it straight away to get a decent Start menu back, but obviously it's non-standard - any doubts about that and I'll remove it.

Julian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast