Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Text Connectivity Issues on varying networks-

Live Text Connectivity Issues on varying networks-

Looking for help on a workflow with LiveText on Different networks...

I have livetext up and running great on my home network. I put both the LT and the tricaster on the same network and it always seems to show instantly on my net1 and net 2 pulldowns.

What i dont understand is what i am missing when i go to different networks. I put both machines on same network and my net1&2 pull downs are blank.
    has happened to me a BUNCH in the last 2 weeks and has caused me fits.
    What am i missing?
    Is there a port that needs to be open?
    Do I need to do something else to config them on the network so they talk?
    if i can ping each other, should it automatically show in net1,2?
    Awhile back, i noticed if you launched IVGA on the LiveTxt Machine, for whatever reason it was more likely to show LiveTxt.

what else? what am i missing?
    Suggestions?

What version of Windows are you running? Could your network type be set to 'Public' that turns up the firewall protection and would probably block LiveText from seeing the Tricaster. Try turning off the Windows firewall (or perhaps you might have a 3rd party firewall) and see if they can see each other.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Version of windows-

I will have to check... it is an older system, so windows XP maybe?

windows firewall i know is off... not sure about the network type.

It might help to have your own router if you are joining some foreign networks. That way you have a reliable "internal" network between your TriCaster and LiveText machine. Then you can connect that router to the "external" internet world. That works in most places, unless you are trying to file share to computers on the other side.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

hmmm...

so that router would have to be wireless correct?
    the router itself would be the portal to the outside world via the internet?
    all would be connected to the router, and then the router connected to outside world to get stream out?

if you have the wireless router 'network' set-up, does that remain consistent regardless of what network you are operating in? then when going to a new network, you simply config that router to hit the wifi on the home network? is my thinking correct?

You would get a high performance 'home' internet router. I would look for one with at least wireless-N and four gigabit Ethernet ports. You would connect all of your production equipment to the the router (wired or wireless), then the WAN port would connect to the internet. Configure the router's WAN port to run as DHCP and that will work in most cases to get you out to the Internet. If not, you would need to work with the IT people at that location to find out what you need to do to get Internet.

Setting up this way will isolate your production network from the rest of the LAN you are connected to. You won't have issues with firewalls or networking filtering that could be preventing the systems from seeing each other. Also, it help in those cases where the LAN might only be running at 100mb/s speeds, I always recommend having a gigabit network for the TriCaster.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

yes, but if it was a 100mb/s network, router or not, the tricaster is still operating with the LAN speed as the upper limit correct?

Yes, it will work as fast the network allows.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

would that also address the issue if i was using a phone as a hotspot and access to the internet? I could connecting all devices to the router and the router to the phone and get the stream out via the phone...
    is that correct?

You would need a higher end router to be able to do that. Most home routers will not let you use the Wifi for a WAN connection only LAN. Business level routers can do what are you looking for.

If you are adventurous and have a supported router. The DD-WRT open source firmware will add this capability to a home router. I've done it with a old Linksys I have so it can connect via Wifi to my LTE hotspot and anything on the wired side can connect to the Internet.

I unit that support wireless WAN is the CradlePoint MBR1400.
    Last edited by kanep; 03-15-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

So if were to invest in a CradlePoint MBR1400, I could use this to set up my 'production network' that would be plug and play on any network i am producing in... all i would have to do to config to different networks is set the router to get out to the internet via the network i am sitting in.

I potentially could also use the same setup to get out to the internet via smartphone hotspot.

am i understanding?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    That is correct.

We use this exact concept in all our productions and systems we build.

Cradlepoint routers are a good choice.

For something more industrial I would look into the PepWave line of routers.
    Specifically the new Balance One
    I like it better than cradlepoint due to the dual Wan input plus USB modem interface. You can setup fall over so if one connection goes down the next one takes over. The cradlepoint does this too but it is too slow for my taste to recover and switch over.

http://www.peplink.com/products/balance-one/

It also has 8 gigabit ports for your local LAN connections. Now most setups don't need another switch. One less point of failure.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I did some extensive research on both cradlepoint and peplink routers.

from what i was told by both companies, the only product line of peplink routers that would be gig and support wifi BOTH on the WAN and LAN (95% of the environments i stream in will require wifi WAN to get out to internet, and i will need to use wifi on the LAN side for ipads / MacBooks to control the audio faders LT etc. ) are models in the $2K range, a bit out of my price range.

I looked into the cradlepoint line, and was told the MBR1400 does support wifi on both the LAN and WAN side and is gig.

just confirming this is indeed the case and hoping to verify this workflow with others using it in this capacity....

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    If you ALWAYS or nearly Always need to suck in your internet from a Wifi source then you can also use one of these guys:
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE2001.aspx

That will catch a wifi signal and then create a wired network connection for you. For a $50 box is one of our most priceless boxes we carry.

You could do the Cradlepoint MBR1400 and I believe you would be happy. My preference would still be the Peplink Balance One though. You can connect 2 x hardwired LANs and a LTE back modem. The Cradlepoint is one Wired connection and the LTE modem. The Balance One is $500 and comes with a 8 port Gigabit Switch built in. Currently we very quickly fill up the 4 ports on the Cradlepoint so that means we ALWAYS had to bring another switch. Our flightpacks now are getting just a Balance One now.

One thing I would definitely strive for in your events is definitely insist and try to secure a hard line. Sucking in Wifi in theory can work but you are always at the mercy of that wireless connection. We had one event that we were having to use the wireless for and low and behold when all 1500 people showed up for the event the DHCP server for that wireless network filled up. It started kicking off the oldest MAC addresses on the list. Besides the whole network coming to a crawl due to all the phones/tablets pinging that wireless connection. Just suggesting that anyone depending on the internet for getting paid... make sure you have a backup or better yet.... 2 backups.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Yeah, whether i like it or not, a VAST majority of the time, i will be relying on a wifi connection to get the stream out. although when available, i will request hardwire. that is why i wanted to make sure the cradlepoint would support wifi on both LAN and WAN. I will always need to be prepared for both.

Just as an FYI- the guy at peptone (super helpful) said the balance 1 would NOT support WAN and LAN on wifi.

glad input is the cradlepoint will work, because i ordered one on sat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast