Thread: Train animation problem

Train animation problem

I'm trying to animate a train and got the main wheels going easily enough, but when it comes to the what I call the "aux" linkage, I'm having a problem, I used Mistube's YouTube video to get the main wheels going, but I do get cycling redundancy errors and I'm not sure how to get the rest of it working, any help or resource pointers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LocoRigging.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1,000.5 KB 
ID:	120738  

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    I'm having some partial success doing this exact same thing using nodal motion, but it's nowhere near a final solution yet, so I don't really want to post anything to save you from doing down a possible dead end.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    I'm having some partial success doing this exact same thing using nodal motion, but it's nowhere near a final solution yet, so I don't really want to post anything to save you from doing down a possible dead end.
    I modeled the linkage to the reference, but the length didn't seem right (too long), so I eliminated one linkage and shortened the rest but it still isn't working and I'm not sure how to get the rest to follow if I do get it the right length. The piston block goes back and forth and I need the lower aux linkage to pivot with the rest of the linkage following, but the distance isn't right. I reduced the piston block travel by raising the main linkage to be closer to the wheel axis, but still not enough. I might have to add a small linkage to the lower linkage to give it the length it needs and try to figure how to get it to move right. I might post the file if someone can help

Could you show a better image of your valve gear, it's a nice model but the details are a little obscure to tell exactly what you are referring to? If we can work out what kind of valve gear it is I can probably point you to a flash animation of it working, and we can call all the bits by the appropriate names.

I'll post an animation of what I have so far later, (it's on the laptop ATM). It's not that I don't want to share, but at the moment the nodal stuff is a right mess. I tend to chuck everything but the kitchen sink at the problem, leading to really complex and nasty networks, then go back and streamline stuff once I have it working the way I want. Currently it confuses me, so what it'd do to someone who has no idea how my mind works I hate to think!
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

I realize that photo is about dark, I didn't have any lighting set up, so here is a better view, the valve set up is simply a pushrod that moves back and forth and controlled by the piston block moving back and forth. In the photo, the left side is disconnected because it was targeting the null parented to the piston block but it was too short and pulling away from it,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loco_Linkage.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	469.5 KB 
ID:	120796  

Is this what your trying to achieve? Or is your gear simpler?

Fairly busy at the moment, but should get chance to look at this again early next week
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Here's what I've got so far, all nodal driven by the null.

Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

object looks crap, since been textured properly this is several years old and was just set up to test the motion, nulls and IK

@PinkM; yeah that little gif animation is it, not quite as busy , but I see in it, the lower (vertical) aux linkage is sliding along, I think that is what I need mine to do. I don't know if you've seen mistube's train linkage tutorial but he didn't use any nodes, he simpla in th motion panel had things following in position and world coordinates, pretty simple and works. I tried to go a bit beyond and that's where I ran into problems.

@ Gerry; thanks for the response, but unfortunately your video doesn't play it's marked "this video is private" and all there is is noise

No, I haven't seen that tutorial. I came back to LW about a year ago, my previous version was 4.5 with very little in the way of animation tools, and made a deliberate choice to learn Nodal rather than all the legacy stuff. I'm convinced Nodal is the future, LW3DG just need to realise that as well and give us better tools and deprecate the older systems.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

well that was kind of dumb, does it work now, anyway to stop any secondary unwanted motion parent two nulls together and then parent the nulls separately to the items you want them attached to (every object being in it own layer and the pivot points having been moved to the desired position), every thing is driven by the wheel motion which has a key frame, DO NOT TRY AND ROLL IT ALONG THE GROUND, do it as a static rotation, you will parent every thing to a null at the end to move it along a path or spline (a new one specifically for the purpose).

99% of the forum could have told you all this only 99% of the forum has zero interest in locomotives, they're all space jockeys.
    Last edited by gerry_g; 03-15-2014 at 04:26 AM.

@Pinkmouse; I don't see a problem in that, as long as we can get work done, we can do it whether nodal or not. it all boils down to how the software sees it, in mathematical relationships.

Thanks gerry_g; now it is working and I think I'm closer now to getting things worked out, appreciate the help !

Watch this piston tutorial by William V. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1EPcTeqeuc
    3D Generalist- Editor, Match Mover
    Show-reel: http://ridasong.com/StarfighterCGI.php

Thanks ridasalleeb2, I was looking for that, I remember seeing that a while ago and I wanted to review it, that helps me some, I need to attach more things to it but it gets me in the right direction

actually it was what I watched before I set my loco, it is a good starting point, only one rotation for one wheel is needed to drive everything the linkage you use to connect the others wheels will drive them and every thing else, in effect you are woking back to front in the real world the piston drives the motion but here everything is being pulled by the rotation of one wheel through 360º with it pre and post motion being set to repeat