Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old idea yes, but is it possible? Linux?

Old idea yes, but is it possible? Linux?

Paul and crew,

After finishing this article heremicrosoft and seeing a demo of winux recently, I'm wondering if sometime in the future Newtek is considering porting Toaster over to the Linux os? I believe you can render Lightwave files on Linux already. So why not work on Linux?

Andrew recently mentioned possibly eliminating the need for reliance on Direct show and if I understand what SSE is the toaster is now relying heavily on processor chip features and not os abilities...

Frankly I have no intention of moving beyond win 2000, so at least please support that in T3! I don't appreciate the back doors, I don't appreciate the spyware, I don't want to be forced to upgrade when they determine I should. I'm thinking that George Orwell was about 15 years early.

I know this is an old conversation, but having just read the afore mentioned article, my desire to get my major computer components as far away from windows as possible has percolated back to the surface.

Thanks.
    Brian Peterson
    River City Productions

I rather see NewTek continue to improve the Video Toaster then take time to port it to Linux. But I do hope I don't have to upgarde to Windows XP.
    Faraz Ahmed - Amitrace
    www.Amitrace.com

I agree. I don't even consider Win XP as an upgrade. It looks like a cartoon and Microsoft tries to hide the tools to manage the system such as the device manager. I'll stick with 2000 as long as I can.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar

Re: Old idea yes, but is it possible? Linux?

Originally posted by Brian Peterson
    Frankly I have no intention of moving beyond win 2000, so at least please support that in T3!
    Video Toaster [3] will be Win 2k compatible, Brian.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

I take my VT with 2 lumps JReble's Avatar

Talking

And it better stay that way Paul or else!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

I know a guy who still swears by DOS
    Eric Pratt
    Virtualset.com - Virtual Set Marketplace
    Virtualsetworks.com - Tricaster Virtual Sets
    Virtualsetworks on Facebook - Get Social

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Originally posted by Eric Pratt
    I know a guy who still swears by DOS
    C'mon Eric..... leave Ted alone !
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

Question

Is Newtek considering porting VT4 over to the Linux os ?

a port to linux is basically impossible since the VT relies heavily on Direct Show and Direct X since these( or any viable counterparts )do not exist in any flavor of linux . also since linux is stolen code from SCO i dont think it would be wise for newtek to support this treachery. the VT runs great on WINXP and i higly reocmend it since win2k does not trully support hyperthreading

satellites & astronauts ercaxus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by videoguy
    also since linux is stolen code from SCO i dont think it would be wise for newtek to support this treachery.
    wow this is so cool. really? where when how? who proved it? what does it have to do w/ newtek? what treachery? lw linux render node? hellooo?

Cartoon-based life form mgrusin's Avatar
    I'm hoping there should have been a after "treachery".

I have zero qualms about using Linux. Much less than using 'soft.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20041202-4431.html et. al.

-MG.

Linux is about as stolen from SCO as Windows is stolen from Xerox and Apple. Nuff said.

SDL may help smooth over the cracks in Linux for a common high protene video subsystem diet:

http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/...09/21/sdl.html

I don't expect Andrew Cross will get away with simply running his MakeFile after FTP'ing the teams sources over to Linux !

The opportunity is there but needs someone to do it who'll do it alongside VT's progressive development. If VT-Linux came out with equal or less than the previous VT incarnation - then there would still be a whole bunch of protests. Most folks have already bought Windows or had it thrown in for $100 by the dealer. So it is only the hidden costs (Cost of ownership and long term risks) of Windows that will be being fought. If the swell moves to Linux in the meantime, it too will be a target. Even with all the security badges Linux/UNIX holds.

Can you guys provide a vaild reason for Newtek to waste their valuable development time on porting to linux because i dont see one

I can't think of one. If yer gonna spend 6 grand + on an editing system, why the heck would you give a **** about a free operating system that won't support most of your accesory applications and any other number of programs you'll probably need to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast