Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Softimage dead?

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    That 3-5 year math projection? Well, that all depends upon everything staying static for the next 3-5 years. We all know that doesn't happen. Less than that number of years ago, Subscription (renting) software didn't exist and Maintenance contracts were rare. With the way corporations are changing things whenever they feel they can pull it off, making any sort of long term projections on what you will "save" doing this or that is a folly. Not that we would have bought into CC but we had finally upgraded our aging CS2 to CS6 and, BANG, two months later CC is announced and Perpetual Licenses discontinued. Things change... usually when you least expect them.
    This is missing the point entirely. The point that was being made was that rentals were in the long run more expensive. And some how geared toward people with large budgets. This is not true at all.

One has to project out 3-5 years for rentals to cost more based on current data. And there is a lot that can happen in that time as you correctly point out. There are no certainties. Never has been never will. But one thing for certain. Trying to say right now that the argument against rental is that it is more costly is false. There is no other data to base any such comment on. Only pure speculation. Software purchase/rental costs could rise or fall, perp licenses could go away completely. Anything can happen.

But now there is only information you can take and make decisions with. That's all. You can not predict what will happen and then make some kind of case based on no data and just speculation.

And to the point that rentals are only for large studios. Again. False. Not true at all. Perfect for a small shop like the one I am setting up now. Difference between laying out 10 grand up front and a six hundred a month is a huge difference.

That gets my shop up and running with multiple artist seats now. No credit card fees, no investments, no dipping into savings. Just gets me up and running within the budget of the project I am preparing for and I am not even committed financially after that. So it makes perfect sense and the math right now in the next few months holds up very well. I keep my profit and move on to the net project and evaluate things at that time based on information I have then.

Pretty much the same through all life. None of us have crystal balls.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 03-04-2014 at 09:36 AM.

it's official now..

it's dead as of april 2016

only 1 more update which will hit march 14th 2014
    then only bug fixes and hot fix patches until april 16th 2016
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    There's no way I could have afforded to upgrade ALL my Adobe apps PLUS get a bunch of new ones PLUS get some cloud services if it had been one fee. So, for me, rental is working very well.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

contains swearing - it's from Aliens but sums up how many people feel today

stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

"Is Softimage dead?"

Certainly looking that way. Feel sorry for those that invested time learning / developing for that.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Yeah it sucks and the worst thing i think is that XSi was superior to Maya and Max. I do feel sorry for those people invested time and allot of money. I think i would move on from AD and have a serious look at LW/C4D or if you can afford it Houdini. I feel the cull at AD is not finished just yet.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Yeah it sucks and the worst thing i think is that XSi was superior to Maya and Max. I do feel sorry for those people invested time and allot of money. I think i would move on from AD and have a serious look at LW/C4D or if you can afford it Houdini. I feel the cull at AD is not finished just yet.
    well let's see...

last updates...
    motionbuilder 2014 got...a ruler.
    3dsmax got populate and vector/pdf map types
    mudbox got...no idea who uses that over priced poop anyhow!
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Softimage lured me in and it was a gateway drug to the other apps. I learned how to use Mental Ray properly in SI and was on the early Vray beta for XSI back when that started. Eventually I ended up in Maya after a few short projects in max for the usual Vray, thinking particles, rayfire, and fumeFX gigs big at the time. Eventually ended up in Maya and am very happy in Maya, especially since Vray for maya was built with some of my input during my time at DD. Yet, Softimage will always be the one that showed me what a 3D application could be in terms of overall UI design. I really do hope someone comes and buys it from AD.
    -----------------
    KC

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    "Is Softimage dead?"

Certainly looking that way. Feel sorry for those that invested time learning / developing for that.
    Agreed.
    The sad thing is that baring Houdini, XSI was one of the best written apps in the Market.
    I mean guys Look at FaceRobot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOO6Vv-i04Q
    or ICE
    From wikipedia:

ICE is a visual programming platform that allows users to extend the capabilities of Softimage quickly and intuitively using a node-based dataflow diagram. This enables artists to create complex 3D effects and tools without scripting. Among the main uses for ICE are procedural modeling, deformation, rigging and particle simulation. It can also be used to control scene attributes without the need to write expressions, for example to add camera wiggle or make a light pulsate. ICE is a parallel processing engine that takes advantage of multi-core CPUs, giving users highly scalable performance.

XSI was designed from the ground up to be used by a small team, and it showed.

No wonder Autodesk did not know what to do with with. It seems that they are concentrating on building tools for Medium to Big business.

My guess is that Max is next.
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 03-04-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    well, at least now i know how Pooby took it... (post #2 on that page)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Autodesk denies intent to kill off Max / Softimage
    Wednesday, September 5th, 2012

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/09/aut...-max-softimage

one down, one more to go...

motionbuilder in 3-5 years. 3dmax in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    motionbuilder in 3-5 years. 3dmax in 10 years.
    Agree on the order, but disagree on the timeline.
    My friends who use Mb are not happy right now with Autodesk.
    My guess is that it will be sooner.

BTW here is another reaction thread

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...st/vZLZlbSeMmQ
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 03-04-2014 at 06:30 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

even Hitler is mad... :O

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast