Thread: Using Lightwave 3D Animation with Video

Using Lightwave 3D Animation with Video

I am interested in incorporating my Lightwave-created, 3D models in some videotaped scenes I've edited (like in Who Framed Roger Rabbit). I intend to animate my 3D models using Nevronmotion, but I can't seem to figure out how to incorporate the models in the video. It would be awesome if I could somehow have the video as a background and manipulate the lighting and the characters based on the video in the background. Is there anything out that can accomplish this that won't require me selling one of my kids to afford?

You could load you're footage into Layout as a background plate. It won't give you interactive lighting though. You would have to do that by manually adjusting your lights or with a hdri image.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Oh okay. I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to use video in Lightwave, and I assumed that meant I wouldn't be able to load video at all. Someone also mentioned Newtek Aura 2.5, but I haven't been able to find any information about that program.

You can use video in many ways in Lightwave. But you must remember that videos are inherently 2D. You can't expect to get 3D effects from the elements in the video when using the clip as a whole in a 3D environment like Lightwave's Layout program.

That's true, I hadn't considered the 2D element of video footage. Hmmm... Maybe I should shoot my actors on green screen and import them into a Lightwave 3D environment. So it IS possible to import video footage into Layout?

- - - Updated - - -

It's for a children's television show, so it doesn't have to look seamless, though. I guess I'll shoot for a kind of updated Blue's Clues look.

You can import video but people usually do it as an image sequence.

As for Aura, it doesn't exist as a NewTek product anymore. I believe it's TVPaint now.
    http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/article/home/
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

As ernpchan says, you need to convert your footage into an image sequence to import into LightWave.

One problem you will have is matching the perspective of the Live Action footage to the CG assets.
    You will need tracking software to match the camera motion (i.e. Syntheyes, After Effects).
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Markc,

I use After Effects, so should I complete the 3D animation in Layout using Nevronmotion (and my video converted into an image sequence as a reference), and THEN use something like AE Link to bridge the Lightwave end product into After Effects?

That would be the ideal route as you'll have more control over how the shot is composited (adjusting colors, blurring the edges, etc). It's much easier and faster to adjust the footage in comp than tweaking and re-rendering in 3d.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Cool! Thanks everyone!