Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 11.6 Layout and Modeler toggle (F12) Causing Computer to Stop Responding

Lightwave 11.6 Layout and Modeler toggle (F12) Causing Computer to Stop Responding

Greetings,

I recently purchased Lightwave 11.6 and am in the process of completing some video tutorials to familiarize myself with the program (Yes, I am a newbie). While completing one of the tutorials, I clicked F12 to toggle between Layout and Modeler, and both programs stopped responding. I used Task Manager to close both out and tried again, and the same thing happened. In fact, sometimes when I just open Layout,the program will stop responding. I am running LW 11.6 (and potentially Nevronmotion) on an ASUS with the following specs:

Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz with 8G of Ram and an AMD Radeon HD 6470M graphics card

I know it's not the fastest, most high powered setup, but I think it more than meets the minimum specs for LW. Any suggestions?

First thing try turn off firewall.
    You have other LW versions installed also?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    First thing try turn off firewall.
    You have other LW versions installed also?
    Even if this works, you shouldn't have to turn off your Firewall for any software, and leave your computer vulnerable.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

It it help he should of course allow connection for LW in firewall ;]

I checked the firewall settings and Lightwave is already included in the exceptions. And I have the update loaded, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not running. In fact, this problem was occurring before I downloaded the update.

Are you using AVG anti virus? I had the same problem, and after changing anti-virus programs it was solved.

I am indeed using AVG anti-virus! Do you know what the problem is with AVG? Which anti-virus program did you switch to?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I solved the issue. I was watching the tutorials and trying to work with LW at the same time. I think I'm just overworking my Radeon HD 6470M graphics card. Does that sound correct, or should I be able to do both at the same time?

I don't know what the problem is with AVG, apparently its a problem at their end that stops the LW Hub from working properly. I switched to Avast. I was having other issues with AVG related to my Windows 8... Ejecting external storage devices kept saying the device was in use.

You're not overtaxing your card. Try Avast, Avira or another free AV program.

(Edit: I did a google search at the time and found countless people moaning about AVG x Lightwave, which is what led me to change AV programs.)
    Last edited by samscudder; 02-23-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks man!!!! I REALLY appreciate the info! So far, that seems to have fixed the problem. Good lookin' out man!
    Last edited by RainyDaze; 02-23-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Hope you enjoy lightwave! It's an incredibly powerful software.

Just shout if you need help: lot's of helpful people here on the forums.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to learning more about it!

I have this same issue. No AVG. Nvidia Graphics card GT750M. I have team viewer installed. No antivirus software installed. Version 11.6.3. I have quick Dropbox, Teamview and skype.

Both programs dont respond when I launch Layout or Modeller from the HUB. If I launch one program first, the other one stops responding immediately after start up as the GUI draws. I then have to end task. 11.6.1 behaves the same. I've tried un-installing and re-installing and successfully had both programs running for a time, but then when I start photoshop or AE Both lightwave Modeler and Layout stop responding and wont come back!
    Last edited by opmeyer; 07-06-2014 at 03:07 AM.

Newbie Member
    Check Hub is on exceptions list?
    Lightwave 11.6.3 + NevronMotion
    i9001 running Win40k w/42Gb RAM and built in HAL drive.

Yes Hub is on the exceptions list. Lightwave is crashing while loading basic scenes, Modeller crashes randomly too, mostly Lightwave cant start. Basically the software is unusable on my system and I dont know what's going on! This really is random I thought that Modeller had started and was good to go but then I started texturing and within seconds, it crashed! Sometimes it starts, then it stop responding when I switch apps and cant get back to it. This is really damaging my workflow. Why is my computer / light wave so broken? Is there a graphics card test I can do? Ill try updating my drivers. Any other suggestions? I need a stable system again! It was working fine 2 weeks ago.

Once a crash occurs, the hub is also gone and wont re-establish itself.
    Last edited by opmeyer; 07-06-2014 at 10:44 PM.

OK this "one or the other" issue has been reported previously. Can't remember right now what the solution was but you can take heart in the fact that there is one. Trying to think of search terms to use to unearth the threads/posts. I'll either think on it or stop thinking on it and it should surface. Hmmm... in fact I just recalled that +I+ had this issue a few months ago. I'll get dome nourishment in my bloodstream and post back when I come up with what I did to solve it or a positive search result that leads to the previous solutons.

In the mean time, questions to answer (Think hard.):

What changed recently?
    What have you installed?
    What have you downloaded?
    Anything updated itself recently?
    Are all of the LightWave applications set to "Run As Administrator"?
    What OS?
    Are the applications (if on Windows 7 or 8) installed in /Program Files? (Bad idea, due to permissions issues.)

Sometimes, it helps to nuke the rules in the firewall and let them be recreated when it asks for permission.
    Last edited by spherical; 07-07-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast