Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Script: Split Frame

Post Free Script: Split Frame

Someone was needing this, which had been done before, but as a .p plugin, and was only 32bit. I could have sworn there was already an LScript that did the same thing, but I couldn't find it, so thought what the heck and wrote it anyway.

Split_Frame_v1.0.zip

What does it do?

It takes the currently loaded scene and saves out multiple scenes based on the number of columns and rows, setting the Limited Region render property for each one. You can also specify an overlap margin. For when you need to do massive renders that can't be rendered in one go, or you want to spread the rendering load of one frame over many machines using ScreamerNet.

Hope you find it useful. As always, the LScript code is commented for those wanting to learn it.

Cheers
    Matt
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Cool. These are all completely separate scenes? Can it be done with separate cameras?
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Cool. These are all completely separate scenes? Can it be done with separate cameras?
    Yes separate scenes, but I could make it possible to split out cameras to different scenes with each camera being active - good idea!

Yes. Was remembering a plug or script that would load cameras in sequence. Combining the two, you could render a huge pixel dimension file while sleeping.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

What about having one camera that animates to make the tiles.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Post v1.1

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Can it be done with separate cameras?
    Okay, try this, lemme know if it works for you.

Split_Frame_v1.1.zip

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post

Heh. I had to do the same thing in the last couple of days to get a massive ground plane texture out of Vue for use elsewhere. This will be pushed into tiled EXRs, but rendering with xStream through LW was just a ridiculous endeavor due to the amount of time required (although it was kind of neat to see the camera stepping across the terrain. Therapeutic.)

It shouldn't be too hard to generate a script to do this, though.
    Inactive.

I made a script for AE that does this when I had to deal with generating print res files from Flash swfs so the technique definitely has its place.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    As long as the camera doesn't move....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Thanks, Matt. I'll check it out first thing. I've been up for a little over two days, now, so wouldn't be the best tester on the planet, ATM.

Nice!

Thanks

Kev xx

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Split_Frame_v1.1.zip
    Thanks. No, that's not what I meant. I was a bit confused when the settings greyed out with "Cameras" selected. What you have is scenes are saved with each camera that was in the original scene selected in sequence in each scene copy. What I meant was one scene is saved with cameras duplicated from the selected camera, each having the Limited Region according to the column row settings. Then, you can load cameras in sequence to render out the tiles.

Thought I may have found a way to get what I'm looking for but it doesn't work like I thought. I figured that I could just Load Items From Scene and get each of the cameras. Problem is, the Limited Region of each doesn't come in with the camera. Evidently, it is saved in the scene.

The other thing that was unexpected is that the camera position when loaded in changes. Complicating matters, the camera in the original scene is parented to a null. The loaded-in camera rotated clockwise around the null by the amount that the null is rotated. Parenting to the null and adjusting the H corrected that but the position remained incorrect; pointing the right way but still in the place that it rotated to. Would have to copy/paste the X/Z values to reposition.

But, there is only one Limited Region available in a scene, so my approach won't work. Darn! So, I'm not seeing the benefit of version 1.1, I guess.
    Last edited by spherical; 02-15-2014 at 08:54 PM.

can somebody show me how plugin works,,, and also CAN IT WORK WITH OCTANE ! please show me! gotta render 6 K image....

WOOOW it is working with OCTANE!

MY GOOOOOOOODNESS - MATT you saved my life!
    Last edited by tyrot; 03-11-2014 at 12:25 PM.

this script seems not to work anymore in LW2018 (at least on macOS) - i'm getting "line 61, illegal arithmetic operation on data type".

matt, could it be somehow upgraded? i see it's an lscript, but sorry i'm not into programming... or is there any better ready solution for LW 2018? for using this with octane it would need to save out separate scenes with cameras set in a way that it would work without limited region. the reason is that octane cannot render 'cropped' regions in LW without needing the whole frame loaded. i guess this is only possible with shift cameras.
    Last edited by 3dworks; 10-28-2018 at 04:55 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

there also a version of it in odtools.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast