Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Modeling Challenge #248- Salt and Pepper

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar

Speed Modeling Challenge #248- Salt and Pepper

Speed Modeling Challenge #248- Salt and Pepper

Rules:
    1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is
    essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
    (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
    3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be
    posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Salt and Pepper
    Model anything to do with salt and pepper service. Could range from an ornate 17thC Rococo salt bowl centrepiece to a dead simple plastic cruet set from your local caff. Or go mechanical, and make a motorised pepper grinder! Here's a few ideas. Good luck!

Time Limit: 60 min.
    Deadline: Wednesday February 17th, 2014 23:59:59 GMT

Have fun!
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Here's my first entry, It's super basic but I welcome the distraction from my drawing marathon. Modeling done within the hour, then half an hour shading and rendering it. I also made a screenCapture of this modelling session, along with the shading and rendering. It's nothing special to look at, but maybe it can be usefull for someone just starting out

Appreciate the Video. Very Helpful

Any suggestions on surfacing Salt / Pepper? I'm pretty much done, but an empty shaker isn't all that nice to look at; and my few attempts at filling it with salt have been kind of ... ugly.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

what about filling it with volume that can be subdivided, use procedural textures to get the look right from the sides, using a weight map on the top polygons and displacing those on render time with a sub-d resulution based on 2 to 4 pixels?

I did a quick test to see if my idea of creating salt inside a glass shaker would work. And it did get me nice results pretty quickly, but I'd like to develop some quick way to expand this salt shader to a particle solution, or at least some way of mimicing the salt that would spread out on the table beneath it.

Ahh sweet... found a quick setup with particles and procedurals to create salt spread around on objects

sorry about the mass posting... I showed a friend of mine the salt shaker render, and his first question was "can you do an hourglass?" so with minimun amount of tweaking using mostly the same setup and shaders I got this

Sorry to have taken so long in getting back. Looks awesome. I only hope to be able to come as close.

I actually had another idea that I'll try along side yours.

I need to get back to trying to break Rhiggit 2...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

That salt and sand set up is great, needs it's own separate post to explain in more detail.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Interesting stuff.

Here's my take on salt, just a quick, simplistic test before I have to get stuck into making some, (real world), cabinet doors. Needs tweaking, but promising.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salt.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	120197

And the scene, (you'll need to find your Kitchen.hdr from the stock content folder):
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

This is from an old SMC so it's NOT an entry for this week.

Since we're talking about salt...
    In the bottle: Just as ArtGoblin said except I opted to boolean the shape of the uneven top level.

Outside the bottle: modeled the corner piece around the battery and used an image map (salt on black background with multiply blending) for the salt on the ground.

Salt on top of shaker and battery: also image map.

...just another way to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asalt.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	374.8 KB 
ID:	120201  
    Last edited by JoePoe; 02-16-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

kryslin: Now I'm curious to find out what solution for the salt you'll come up with

djwaterman: Thanks feel free to ask me if you have any questions about my setup, I'll attach a packaged scene here in this post.

Looking nice Pinkmouse... but I'm getting really long rendertimes with that setup, I'm guessing it's the simpleSkin shader's foult, or maybe my hardware isn't as good as it should be

JoePoe: that is looking really nice, I'm guessing you have much quicker render times than me, since I'm actually creating particles/geometry for the random leftover salt.

I packaged my "saltShaker with added salt" scene after removing both the HDRI probe and tileable texture I was using, I threw in a random image from my iphone in the HDRIenvironment and pumped it up to 500 % brightness to get some variations in the reflection and lighting.

Salt_package.zip

Welcome to take this setup of mine and dissect and play with
    Last edited by ArtGoblin; 02-16-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Some great salt surfaces/materials. I went for sea salt. Not because it's easier to render or anything.

Less than an hour for the modelling, the rest of the afternoon to fill them.
    Render with Octane plug-in.

Well, I got halfway there.

About an hour to model... all those holes! ... and about 4 trying three different salt material setups (Something close to ArtGoblin's outlined setup, a setup using some math and DPont's Microdisplacement, and a setup using a noised up DPont's Cell node, fed into a Sigma2 node. All three looked roughly the same through my glass material.

Model is nothing special. Beveled cylinders, extruded edges, thicken, and collapse polygons/chamfer to make those nice holes.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast