Thread: Model layer not loading in Layout.

Model layer not loading in Layout.

I have a model with about 15 layers. I sent it over to Layout, set up lights and cameras, created the instances that I needed, and saved ALL. Each layer in that model is listed as an object in the scene and reflects the layer name. I close Layout. But now I needed to add another item to the model, so I opened it it Modeler and added the item in a new layer and named the layer "Liner". I then saved the model using the same file name. When I load the scene again and the scene loads that same model (same name, same path), that "Liner" layer object does not show up. I can get the object into the scene if I "Load Object Layer" and point to it in that model file, but why might that item not show up with the other layers/objects? All layer settings seem to be set the same in the model and all surface properties seem to be fine. Clearly, I need to better understand how the layers translate from Modeler to Layout, because I see different symbols in front of the objects that are listed that I hadn't actually noticed in prior projects. (black cube, white cube, plus sign) Thanks for any tip.
    Bill C.
    Massapequa Park, NY USA

You'll have to add that new layer manually, or readd the object entirely (not reload the current one in Layout). Layout isn't very good at understanding that you've add a new layer to your currently loaded object in Layout.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    What ernpchan said. It's my experience that Layout will only recognize a new layer if you add it in Modeler while Layout is also open.
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

Thanks, guys. I'll have to keep that in mind.
    Bill C.
    Massapequa Park, NY USA

I made some scripts that make syncing and swapping objects with layers much easier. I'll see if I can dig them up.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    It's my experience that Layout will only recognize a new layer if you add it in Modeler while Layout is also open.
    That works? I'm so used to just loading new object layers that I never noticed if Layout being open made a difference. Didn't seem to but I'm not focused on that at the time.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain