Thread: How do I reduce points on curve?

How do I reduce points on curve?

I have an open ended polygon, with a very high number of points created in another software. Is there any way to reduce the number of points on a curve? Reduce points isn't doing anything.

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	curve.PNG 
Views:	85 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	120010

You can merge points by pressing m and use a fixed range...

That's a good suggestion, but I think merge points with a fixed range might drastically alter the shape of the curve when I have a tight turn.

Any way to automatically redistribute the points along the curve, so that instead of 100 points, I end up with 10 or 20?

I suppose one could write an lscript that removed every other 2 or 3 points, or recalculate the whole curve and divide this into segments, but I was clinging to the hope that there was some tool or plugin that could do this automatically.
    Last edited by samscudder; 02-10-2014 at 06:43 AM.

I had a problem like this once. My solution was to use the curve as a rail curve, and rail extrude a single point poly along that curve. That way, you can select the density of the resulting new curve, and set it to be uniform, or higher density at the curves. This should result in a nearly identical curve with far fewer points.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

This is how I usually do it.
    1- select all the points you want (be careful to not select end points or important corner points)
    2- under the select option (usually close to the top left on modeler) pick 'Select Nth'
    3- enter n:2 and offset:0 option usually ends up with every 2nd polygon selected
    4- again make sure end points and important corner points are not selected
    5- hit delete

this works about 90% of the time. There are always going to be 'oddity' situations to work around.
    -Light is an optical illusion-
    CPU:2x E5-2687W (2x 8 cores + HT = 32 threads @ 3.2GHz) MOBO:ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS RAM:64gb HD:Revo 3 x2, 240 OCZ SSD, 4TB WD BLACK

In fact, my problem was slightly different. I had the attached model created, and needed to animate particles along that curve. My problem was, I couldn't use the path as a motion curve, since the points weren't uniform along the length. So, I had to do the rail extrude trick with a single point poly to create a motion curve with uniform spacing. You can see one iteration of the animation on YouTube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spiral.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	476.3 KB 
ID:	120023

I think rail-extruding a point will work for me...

I'm trying to use hair imported from another 3d platform... I've managed to convert polygonal hair to roughly 15000 guide strands, but with each having around 100 points, it's taking forever for bones to move it, and using up around 16Gb RAM to render. I don't think that quantity is the problem, since I've read about projects with here with several thousand guides, but I think it's the point density, which is up around 2M points.

The other solutions would work if it was just one strand, but I can script the rail extrude and apply it to each guide.

Thanks for the tips guys, saved my bacon!

As soon as the work goes public, I'll try and outline the process and make the scripts used available.
    Last edited by samscudder; 02-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Not so happy update... Modeler is crashing whenever I try and rail extrude a point. I'll be submitting a support request.

Extrude a 2-point poly, then select and delete the wrong side? Extrude a very small square poly, then use Merge to turn all those groups of four into singles.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Support got back and said try without the "align to start" option, which worked.

I have to create the polygon in the script though, because the rail extrude just generates points. Working on that now...

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by samscudder View Post
    I have an open ended polygon, with a very high number of points created in another software. Is there any way to reduce the number of points on a curve? Reduce points isn't doing anything.
    You can use EasySpline's Spline Density interactive tool. See video tutorial:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgTdxWSCCk
    http://www.easyspline.com

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangleator View Post
    In fact, my problem was slightly different. I had the attached model created, and......
    oooOOOOOooooo, that's a good one! Must remember!
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.