Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Modeling Challenge #247- What's in your junk drawer?

Speed Modeling Challenge #247- What's in your junk drawer?

Speed Modelling Challenge #247 - What's in your junk drawer?

Rules:
    1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is
    essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
    (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
    3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be
    posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: What's in your junk drawer?
    The possibilities are endless. I won't suggest anything but you can see your choices are quite vast with a quick image search on google: https://www.google.com/search?q=junk...w=1920&bih=973

Time Limit: 60 min.
    Deadline: Wednesday February 12th, 2014 23:59:59 GMT

Have fun!

A partially solved Mini Rubik's cube!

Nothing fancy here...make one SubD'd box. use edit edges to cut in the stickers, copy 25 times, then off to surfacing. Scuff up the colored stickers a bit, then render.
    10 minutes to model, 40 to surface (mainly tinkering with making the stickers look scuffed up & dirty).
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    An Intel CPU heatsink. Not sure where the fan is, that's probably why it's in the junk box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU_heatsink.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	119948

Not entirely happy with the anodised aluminium, but the milled copper core has come out well, and the pub is calling, so that's it for tonight. Wires tomorrow.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

just for quick ,, LW Logo in mesh and in reflecting in ground and wall,,,,

Name:	LWLogo-mesh.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	119964

Pinkmouse, I think I found your fan...

generic 120mm cooling fan - I've got half a dozen around here...

A rare foray into the world of SubD's for me - Used Chamfer to make my nice round holes, Multishift to cut my hold loops, LWCAD for the line slice tool, Snap Scale, and Polygon tools. Metamesh to attach the fan blades to the core. Sadly, this fan doesn't work, because it has no wires! (Ran out of time...)
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Name:	junk1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	119968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junk1_wf.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	119969
    This is (part of) a stepper motor driver I made some time ago. It connected to a PC via the parallel port and was supposed to be a part for a DIY CNC machine. I even made a program to read .lwo-files to command the stepper motors before it went into the junk drawer

Found this battery charger in my drawer, it's missing a few essential details, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied with the precise form I got using only sub-D's

I found this keyring as well and decided to make a try for it in an hour, I think I went just a few minutes over so this one is automatically disqualified.

I also decided to try to screen-capture my modeling for the first time. It's not that awesome quality since I forgot to do some testing before firing up OpenBroadcast for the first time
    Crammed it down to 5 minutes, with my stupid trial and errors and everything

Awesome ArtGoblin! Thanks for sharing!

Hey ArtGoblin, just a tip when modeling Sub-D's (I forget to do this myself), set the subD mode to Catmullclark, that way when you Tab back and forth you never get the error message coming up to interrupt your work flow, just continue modeling with the aim to finish with a quads and tri mesh and change it over to SubD at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Hey ArtGoblin, just a tip when modeling Sub-D's (I forget to do this myself), set the subD mode to Catmullclark, that way when you Tab back and forth you never get the error message coming up to interrupt your work flow, just continue modeling with the aim to finish with a quads and tri mesh and change it over to SubD at the end.
    I don't know if it's the same with you , but I rarely need to mix SubDs and non-SubDs, so I have tab set to GToggleSubPatch (not sure of the exact spelling), I like this because it means I don't have to drop a poly selection to patch the whole object. I still keep a key with the usual SubPatch function but I've found I use it way less than the former. If when moving polys from different layers I mix the two up, Detail > Set SubPatch will convert all polys to SubPatch without reverting any.

I haven't seen the video so I'm not sure about the interrupting the workflow bit, but if you set the alert level to low, you still get the warning in red across the bottom of the window, but without any annoying dialogue box to deal with.

@ArtGoblin, very much liking that battery charger
    Last edited by Oedo 808; 02-09-2014 at 06:49 AM.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    just set your alert level in your modeler options and you wont have to see the error message with subpatches.

Edit: i see Oedo beat me to it.

Thanks for the feedback guys I must be getting rusty since I forgot to set my alert level on my new LW install.

I'm going to try using catmull-clark subD's next. I have bad memories of it being very heavy for modeller to handle when you start hitting a heavier polygoncount, but that was wayback then, will give it another go

@Oedo 808: is GToggleSubPatch a third party script ?

@Kryslin: Like that fan a lot, think you're well at home in the SubD department

@pinkmouse: the milled copper core shader is looking fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by ArtGoblin View Post
    @Oedo 808: is GToggleSubPatch a third party script ?
    Nope, search for G-Toggle Subpatch (or just g-) if you want to assign a key to it. I knew I should have checked the spelling in Modeler, too damned lazy, that's my trouble.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

haha.. same problem here... too lazy to just google it thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast