Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing Groups or similar?

Smoothing Groups or similar?

Hi, I am having trouble with some lighting on spherical meshes when exported to Unity 3D. For more detail read my thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/225...rical-geometry
    I have recieved an answer that says I should try using Smoothing Groups. Now I have read a few stuff about smoothing groups but it seems this is not available in Lightwave.
    So I was wondering if there is a tool in lightwave 11 for editing vertex normal, maybe a plugin. Any help appreciated!

thanx

Open edges. Export OBJ. That's the only way to generate Vertex Normal maps in Lw...

Yes, sadly you can't make smooth groups in LW (Lw don't have tools for creating them) so just try what probiner suggested to see is it gonna work.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    Open edges. Export OBJ. That's the only way to generate Vertex Normal maps in Lw...
    Then you can load that obj back in modeler and merge points and save it as lwo, obj or fbx and your vertex normals will look like the unwelded obj exported first.

Talking Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Then you can load that obj back in modeler and merge points and save it as lwo, obj or fbx and your vertex normals will look like the unwelded obj exported first.
    Ok guys I'll give this a try, I'll let you know how it went!
    Thanx

Arrow No luck yet

Quote Originally Posted by malteins View Post
    Ok guys I'll give this a try, I'll let you know how it went!
    Thanx
    Hi, so I have come to a better outcome by following your suggestions of opened edges and exporting as .obj and then re-importing, nevertheless there's still some problems with how the baked lighting is acting on spherical objects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open_edges.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	119961

As you can see, I have horizontally based opened edges. Maybe this is not the way to go, one might also think that only 1 vertically based open edge could provide better results.

Can you post zip with unitypackage? (Object as fbx exported from Layout)

FBX version

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    Can you post zip with unitypackage? (Object as fbx exported from Layout)
    Hi, sure here's the file exported from Layout in .fbx format (2012).

http://m1.malta.cl/tester.zip

I've been using this method (.fbx export from Layout) since I started using Unity with Lightwave. I've read this is the way to go. Anyway I realized that spherical meshes have problems with Lightmapping, hence this thread started and I was recommended to export in .obj format in order to get the Vertex Normals to show up correctly. I've tried this but still not getting correct results which you can see here:

Name:	tester.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	119988

As you can see in the image, when I show the Lightmapping resolution grid it gets distorted in some areas ( the squares don't match up ), so I'm thinking this is happening because of a wrong UV mapping method I'm using, basically the UV mapping on the spherical part of the mesh. Here is an image where you can see how I have set up the UVs.

Name:	lightmapping_issues.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	119989

Now I am wondering what I could do to fix this issue. I am thinking this might have to do with the 2nd UV channel that is used for Lightmapping. I don't know if UV2s are editable in Lightwave, I've heard a few other apps let you do it.

Well any guidance, tips or ideas you might have, all are very welcomed.
    Thanks a lot to all of you guys who have already helped!!

What does this one look like in unity?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I mean Unitypackage that means when you create prefab then click on it RMB and create unitypackage.
    Unity making own UV for lightmapping, what you know, if in importer you turn on this. When you have two your own UV on object you can use one for lightmapping. In object importer is option "swap UV".
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentatio...mappingUV.html

No luck yet

I mean Unitypackage that means when you create prefab then click on it RMB and create unitypackage.
    Unity making own UV for lightmapping, what you know, if in importer you turn on this. When you have two your own UV on object you can use one for lightmapping. In object importer is option "swap UV".
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentatio...mappingUV.html
    Ok, here you can download the zipped unitypackage of the object in question : http://m1.malta.cl/unitypack.zip
    1) I exported my model from Modeler into Layout,
    2) then exported it from there to .fbx,
    3) afterwards importing it to Unity and making a prefab,
    4) which I exported then as a UnityPackage.

Anyway you'll be able to see what I've been mentioning in the pictures, there seems to be a problem whenever I lightmap a spherical mesh. I really tried many options but still no luck.
    Hope you can find some indication of the problem with this package.

Thanks!

Cool Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    What does this one look like in unity?
    Hi, I've tested your version but I am still getting the same artifacts and strange shadings on the spherical part of the mesh.
    In the image you can see what I'm talking about, I've placed your model in the scene and ran Lightmap. That's all.

Name:	lightmapping.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	120004

Anyway, thanks for your help, I do think we're getting closer to solve this.

I think i found what was wrong.
    Chek your lightmap (also in preview) when in model imporetr setting will be scale 0,01 and 1. There should be always 1.

In layout export scale should he 0.01, in Modeler 1.0.

Check also this great plugin for lightmapping with image-based lighting, Path Tracer GI, and Monte Carlo GI.
    https://github.com/mstevenson/Lightmapping-Extended

And maybe you try bake texture, then object on scene not must be static.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....texture+baking
    Last edited by MarcusM; 02-10-2014 at 01:44 AM.

I think i found what was wrong.
    Chek your lightmap (also in preview) when in model imporetr setting will be scale 0,01 and 1. There should be always 1.

In layout export scale should he 0.01, in Modeler 1.0.

Check also this great plugin for lightmapping with image-based lighting, Path Tracer GI, and Monte Carlo GI.
    https://github.com/mstevenson/Lightmapping-Extended

And maybe you try bake texture, then object on scene not must be static.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....texture+baking
    Hi, thanks for the links, I was already aware of Lightmapping Extended, I use it pretty much all the time. Also I have done what you say about the scale, I always export from Layout at 0.01 and then in Unity set the import settings to 1.
    Anyway I really don't think the problem has to do with the import o export settings, since I have applied different smoothing groups in Modo 701, exported the model as .lxo
    and still I get the same artifacts and shading problems with the spherical part of the mesh when Lightmapping the object in Unity. You can see this here:
    Attachment 120029
    In the image the mesh has a .lxo file extension, exported from MODO with a Vertex Map. You can still see the problems that I had before at the beginning of the thread.

I think this problem is due to the way I set up my UVs. You can see them here:

Name:	uvs1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	120031
    Any suggestions, maybe I should have mapped the spherical top portion of the cylinder with "Planar on the Y-axis (top down)" ?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uvs.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	120030  

I tested this today, baked lightmap with import scale in Unity 0,01 and saw problem from your images. After bake with scale 1 it was good. Tomorrow i will check this one more time and attach print screens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast